HUNT carbon spokes carbon disc wheels

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

romanmoser

by romanmoser

https://www.huntbikewheels.com/collecti ... c-wheelset

44 , 54 mm depts offered
not quite sure if they are ticker than the ones on mavic cosmic ultimate or campa alloy spokes on shamal
at least they are replaceable
inner width 20 mm , outer width 29 mm
should fit nice with 25mm

i don't know why they only test for aero with 28mm tires for *f##k* sake
except for fast commuting, bads roads, or ultra endurance
I 'll be on 25mm tubeless or latex inner tubes

No more bullshit ceramicspeed bearings at this cost compared to the expensiver , heavier albeit supposedly more aero limitless
that have been a bit of a fiasco with the few brokens ones and then replacement by heavier rim ...

I've never seen a proper review of these either

We'll see

alcatraz

by alcatraz

Damn! I never thought carbon spokes could be laced together over/under like this. I'm really curious about the longevity about those cross points, regarding development of cracks and such.

I'm just wondering why hunt chose to take that risk. It's not necessary to do so.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

C36

by C36

I am yet to find positive stiffness measurement on those carbon spoked wheels that appear this year. The Cadex with more spokes ended at 44N/mm, rather disappointing compared to Mavic,Corima and some lightweight carbon spokes wheels

——————
2018: Cannondale SSevo2HM : 5860g
2000: R4000 caad5: junior bike restauration
1995: Indurain‘s Pinarello: restauration project

MaxPower

by MaxPower

those carbon spokes are not prioprietary to hunt or cadex or XXX.
They are made by bonding alu sleeves to the spoke ends. Internal nipple. The visible part of the "nipple" is acctually the alu cap bonded to the spoke and is used to holde the spoke in place when adjusting the internal nipple (no spoke holder required, its for normal spoke key).
I think it is a pretty nice solution. makes adjustment very easy and doesn´t stress the spoke if nipples should get a bit corroded and hard to turn. Service live is expected to be the same as current alu spokes, but only time will tale.
tension wise they are used the same way as metal spokes. but replacement spokes are a lot more expensive.

I have a Rebel Rocket 55 set at home with these spokes, Rim brake, and waiting for the frost (salted roads) to end in nothern europe before putting them on the bike. I´m around 84 kg at the moment, at 1,96m height. Can put out 1200 Watts sprint, so i will try to put them through the mill this summer. Sapim CX-ray on the NDS with 2-cross, DT-swiss hub, fatique and break for me after around 3 years of riding. Sapim Sprint have been good the first year. but time will tale. the carbo spoke wheel is radial NDS, so spoke tension is higher on it. That will definitly help also.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

I also know where these spokes come from. I will be testing a set out when they arrive.

How on earth do hunt measure 6% more responsiveness' first against what and also what do they define by responsive ness. Do they mean torsiona stiffness. That's not an easy thing to measure.

C36

by C36

bm0p700f wrote:I also know where these spokes come from. I will be testing a set out when they arrive.

How on earth do hunt measure 6% more responsiveness' first against what and also what do they define by responsive ness. Do they mean torsiona stiffness. That's not an easy thing to measure.
On bikerumors they mention deflection test building the same wheel with 20 carbon spokes versus 24 steel ones (no specs mentioned... but their other wheels have cx-ray type).
I would have love seeing stiffness with 24 carbon spokes and finally get stiff rear wheels back!
From my archives, by just going from aerolite to aero-comp there is 12% stiffness gain.

Envoyé de mon iPad en utilisant Tapatalk

pmprego

by pmprego

They can also shave some interesting grams with the spoke reduction but like c36 said, the weight gain from carbon could have been put with a couple more spokes and with that more stiff wheel.

hannawald

by hannawald

Hunt said that they would investigate stifness target but with this they were trying to achieve right ballance of stiffness, lightness and comfort. With increased spoke number wheels will be too stiff=uncomfortable..those 6 percent are against the same rim and hub with 24 spokes they would use normally..dont remember all the details. I dont have personal oppinion as i have never had Hunt wheels, just saying what i have read somewhere.

pmprego

by pmprego

I guess the 2020/2021 innovations on wheels will come in the spoke department more than anything else.

On another topic here, regarding a rumor on new rovals, i guess they also referred lower spoke count and slightly less weight.

The online media is also giving very good reviews to the parcour strade 49/54 disc wheels. I'd like to see a head-to-head.

wheelie

by wheelie

https://eu.huntbikewheels.com/collectio ... c-wheelset

Anyone already tested these 44 mm wheels and have opinion about real weight & reliability?
Tnx!
2020 Cervelo Aspero Apex 1 Mid Olive/Dune ----> Burgundy/Dark Orange
2022 Scott Addict RC10

milanv

by milanv

wheelie wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 5:13 pm
https://eu.huntbikewheels.com/collectio ... c-wheelset

Anyone already tested these 44 mm wheels and have opinion about real weight & reliability?
Tnx!
Me in combination of 4454...
"So, I have several hundreds of kilometres on HUNT 4454 UD Carbon and I am impressed...
- Very stiff on every way,
- but also very comfortable in combination with tubeless tyres Schwalbe Pro One TLE (front 25 + rear 28 mm),
- no creaking, carbon spokes are not touching anywhere,
- the rear hub is very very loud, louder than e. g. DT 350 (with ratchet system 36T) / Roval CLX 50 / Roval CL 50,
- H+ lifetime warranty is a big plus."
viewtopic.php?t=164747

raggi

by raggi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPSUZvnW0qo

Looks like there's a new lightweight model from Hunt on the way, carbon spokes, 32mm depth, 1200gr weight

daninplymouth

by daninplymouth

I keep looking at these and am torn between these and the aerodynamicist. I know these are supposed to be stiffer but the low spoke count has me worried as I weigh around 92kg although I'm under the weight limit I can't help but think I'd be pushing my luck, any feedback on this?

mashiehood

by mashiehood

wait till hambini gets his hands on these....

pmprego

by pmprego

oh lord

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com