Pillar wing spoke stiffness

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

C36

by C36

alanyu wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 4:34 pm
What's the hub with cx rays resulted in 30 N/mm?
I have one rear wheel with all cx rays and SIM+ S3X6Z hub, which is laterally stiffer than another wheel with all cx sprints and farsports hub. Both are stiffer than CLX50.
On top of my head:
- Zipp 303 FC are around 33N/mm with their proprietary hubs (303S were more in the 40, not great though but better)
- previous Reynolds 58 were even lower
- AX 80mm (around extralite hubs) and MCFK 55mm were below 35N/mm
- I recently measured a BTLO 60mm UL laced on Carbon-ti at 34N/mm with 24 CX-ray and 39N/mm with DT Aerocomp

The Roval CLX50 (depends on the generation I guess) were measured at 41N/mm 2 years ago.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

cajer

by cajer

MayhemSWE wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:21 am
cajer wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:10 am
We should add in the store aerolite 2 spokes as they changed the shape. But I'm not sure if you actually get iit aftermarket
Aerolite 2 are only available with a T-head and thus only compatible with DT's proprietary hubs for their system wheels. And I'm not sure it would even be possible to make them in standard J-bend or straightpull as my vague memory says they are too wide to fit through a standard hub spoke hole, though I may be wrong about that part.
They are the same width as the normal aero lite so that shouldn't be an issue

alanyu

by alanyu

C36 wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:51 pm
alanyu wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 4:34 pm
What's the hub with cx rays resulted in 30 N/mm?
I have one rear wheel with all cx rays and SIM+ S3X6Z hub, which is laterally stiffer than another wheel with all cx sprints and farsports hub. Both are stiffer than CLX50.
On top of my head:
- Zipp 303 FC are around 33N/mm with their proprietary hubs (303S were more in the 40, not great though but better)
- previous Reynolds 58 were even lower
- AX 80mm (around extralite hubs) and MCFK 55mm were below 35N/mm
- I recently measured a BTLO 60mm UL laced on Carbon-ti at 34N/mm with 24 CX-ray and 39N/mm with DT Aerocomp

The Roval CLX50 (depends on the generation I guess) were measured at 41N/mm 2 years ago.
30ish lateral stiffness wheel is a no-go for me since my frame is equipped with BB DM brake. It can rub the pads easily with low to mid effort out of saddle.

alcatraz

by alcatraz

I knowingly build flexy wheels (thin spokes, low count) but I don't suffer from brake rub until I sprint while in my best shape during the year (0.000001% of my time on the bike)

Does that mean I'm not heavy enough to need 40+ lateral stiffness? Hmm...

C36

by C36

Unless you have under BB brakes (as previously pointed out) the presence or absence of brake rub has little to do with wheel stiffness at the contact point (the road).
Measured few very very flexible wheels and they do tend to rub less than some “just flexible” wheels (in short they are so flexible that none of the deformation at the contact point with the road is transmitted 180 degrees away).
The weight of the rider has little to do, the power you put out of the saddle has quite an impact.

—————————————
- Supersix evo2 HM 5707g
- 1995 Miguel Indurain Pinarello restauration project
- R3000si Junior bike restauration project.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

When you put down the power the lateral force put on the rear wheel is miniscule compared to the force put on the chainstays. The chainstays are the hardest working part of the bike, but due to the chainstays having to clear the rider's shoes, tires, and crankset they are on the small side. Check out this video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAz5wOBxuMI