Prime RR-50 SE disc wheelset review

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

rides4beer

by rides4beer

mikemelbrooks wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:50 am
I have just bought a pair of these wheels I assumed they would come with lockrings for the discs ( my current wheels are 6 bolt) which lockrings do you recommend internal or external or does it depend on which thru-axles I use?
Of the three sets of disc wheels I've bought, none came with lockrings. I'm using the internal Shimano ones that came with the RT81 discs, no issues.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

JMeinholdt

by JMeinholdt

Love the wheel review! I'm surprised by how much more the disc wheelset weighs than the rim brake version. Mine rim brake set came in at 1618g for the pair with 80mm tubeless valves installed (didn't want to remove them when I broke them down for weighing). I have a couple Youtube videos on them.

FYI, assuming they're the same rim dimensions between disc and rim brake, my GP5000TL's in 25c come in almost dead on 27mm at 90psi on these wheels.
Wilier Cento10AIR - SRAM Force AXS - Road/race
3T Exploro - SRAM Rival AXS XPLR - Gravel
Wilier Sestiere - Shimano Tiagra - Commuter

YouTube link: https://www.youtube.com/@JMCyclingVideos

SandwichNP

by SandwichNP

Hi all, just throwing my hat in the ring. I have a set of these too and have done about 400 miles since getting them on. They are great wheels thus far. I do get a bit more push from a side gust than others are reporting, but nothing world ending. Had some massive descents last weekend and they held up great. As for the freehub, I swapped to an XDR setup and it's FREAKING LOUD. The original came packed with grease so I'm guessing that mutes it quite a bit, but I thought I added an adequate amount to mine. I don't mind it too much, as I'm usually pedaling, but if I let off you'll certainly know...it sounds great and like a high end bike typically does. Wheels are nice and stiff otherwise under my 185lb.

charirider

by charirider

I want to buy newer version of these, with new fancy 36t ratchet hubs (now named Prime Doyenne 50).
Did anyone have an experience with these (or 38, or 44mm rim model)?
If yes, how ratchet mechanism holding up, no issues?
How abou lateral play, did new hubs fix this known issue of rr55 v3?
2018 Cannondale SuperSix EVO 2 rim size 56 (raw stripped) 6.8kg
2014 Bridgestone Anchor CX6 Equipe size 55 (cyclocross) 9.6kg