EIE Carbon Clinchers 285g, Lightest carbon clinchers?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Aeo

by Aeo

This is MTB tech on a narrow 26mm rim. You have to be very careful with tyre width and pressure.

EIE is legit, they make light and sturdy rims.
Giant TCR Adv Pro Disc '17 · BH Lynx Race Evo '19 · Seraph GR029 '21 · Canyon Inflite AL '14

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kroem

by kroem

Granted they are MTB tech but max pressures are way high. Similar weight rim from LB have max PSI of 40.
Current
Waltly Gravel (stolen... and found!)
P-X Spitfire Ti
Fairlight Strael

Old
Canyon Ultimate SLX 6.7kg (crashed)
Tantan GR039 7.2kg (sold)

Marin

by Marin

Pressure says nothing without taking into account tire width!

Double the width, half the pressure.

botacalor

by botacalor

I'm looking for Good Quality and light carbon wheelset with tubeless compatibility for rim brake around 32-40mm deep section for all condition use, I like climbing stiff wheels.
my budget is around 1000usd

I'm a eye on windspace hyper38mm; carbonbeam and light bycicle with dt240 hubs or a option to buy a pair of roval clx 32 used but in very good condition.

What is your opinion about that?

Marin

by Marin

I'm on EIE A29C22D23 SL now.

The complete gravel wheelset on DT 240 EXP with 24/24 CX Sprint (!) is 1185g, so the rims are probably around 285g.

Stiffness is fine for an 80kg (slightly) punchy rider.

Great service from Pretty Fong as usual :thumbup:

djel

by djel

I went with EIE Carbon after owning a set of Yishun (long time ago) and 2 sets of Light Bicycle. I wanted a dedicated lightweight setup for sustained climbing (I'm fat and hate climbs - who am I kidding?!) and was pleasantly surprised by the whole experience as I was not familiar with the brand. As Marin mentioned, the service & communication from Pretty was consistently excellent, which is not what I was used to in my previous experiences buying frames and wheels from Xiamen manufacturers/distributors.

I didn't built my set with the superlight rim mentioned in this thread, but it comes at a respectable 320g per rim. The roads in Montreal are always in terrible condition (more so at this time of the year) and I wanted to retain some durability. The set is laced in 24/28 for that reason (and because I'm not a lightweight).

Haven't had time to ride outside much, but no issue so far with flex or stiffness.
AR25TC25 Wheels
Rim:AR25TC25 (SL:320+/-15g,12k,Matte,24/28H (No rim bead hole),Disc brake ,No decals )--2pcs Hubs:DT Swiss 240 EXP 12*100,12*142mm ,center lock,Shimano Road 11S ,36T Spoke:Pillar 1420 spoke Nipple:Black aluminum Weight around 1201+/-25g

jfranci3

by jfranci3

I think EIE just sources the rims from the same factory a number of other shops use (Carbonfan for example). I just got a set of MTB rims in. The production was slow because of the new year holiday, but the slow shipping was REALLY fast to the US. 3/18 - 4/2 (2wks)

williswang

by williswang

It’s incredibly light. The carbon rim is definitely not suitable for heavyweight rider,even overweight riders.
It may be easily deflected by the wind.

ohio

by ohio

Thought I would bump this to add a quick review, especially of the graphene braking track. I ordered SR30TC26 SLs (claimed 360g) with grooved graphene brake tracks, 20/24 CX-Ray/Sprint (Sprints on drive side rear) on Carbon-Ti hubs. Since my tire size on this frame maxes out at 25mm, I went with a hooked rim on this build to support the higher pressures.

I only have a handful of 30 milers on them so far, so can't speak to longevity, but had one ride in the rain that was worth posting about. In short, I am SUPER impressed with the braking performance. Running Shimano carbon pads on Red Aerolink calipers. I have some Campy red pads on hand, but right now feel no need to try them. The surface is louder and a touch grabby when wet, but plenty powerful. I was maybe irrationally worried about this while purchasing them, as I'd never run rim brakes on carbon before, and the early reports were all pretty scary. We'll see if these hold up over 1000s of miles, but for now they're great.

As for the rest of the setup, it is exactly what I wanted on a light, non-aero build. Running tubeless with Goodyear Eagle F1s in 25mm. I forgot to weigh them before taping and mounting tires, but expect they're right around 1200g. They've been plenty stiff climbing out of the saddle (I'm 72kg on a 53cm frame), with no rubbing. Hard to say on compliance since I've never run this frame with anything but these wheels, but they feel smooth enough at 75psi/80psi. I'm getting a touch of air loss from the front but no sealant seeping at the bead, so it's probably my taping job or the Amazon valve. Rear is sealed tight. Freewheel is louder than I'd like - I haven't tried the usual Dumonde lube I always switch in my DTs. No noticeable issues in xwinds.

EIE was also extremely communicative and flexible. At the time I ordered, Carbon-Tis were not listed in dropdown, nor was the CX-Sprint driveside option, and it was incredibly fast and easy to get that quoted. Rims are fabbed to order and build/ship times were about 6 weeks from last Nov to Dec, about as fast as any of the CN/TW options, and shorter than some of the current wait times for pre-builts. This is my second set from them, and third from China (the other two were MTB wheelsets), and I've been very happy every time.

Marin

by Marin

+1 for EIE, I keep buying from them & recommending to friends. Plus, Pretty is extremely friendly and helpful

ohio

by ohio

Marin wrote:
Mon May 16, 2022 2:40 pm
+1 for EIE, I keep buying from them & recommending to friends. Plus, Pretty is extremely friendly and helpful
Yup, she's great. I find the EIE name annoying and off-putting as an obvious ENVE logo ripoff, but the product seems legit and I'm ordering without logos anyway. The other source I've used is BTLOS, and I had an equally positive experience. For all I know they're the same factory, although their catalogs aren't exactly the same.

choochoo46

by choochoo46

I've had the SRG45TC28 - SL rim brake wheels with Extralite hubs for about six months and 500 miles. They're on my fair weather / climbing bike and the winter was nasty and the spring has been wet. I've just brought the bike out in the past month.

They were estimated to be 1262+/-25G and they came in as 1212g, which helps bring down the weight of my Trek Emonda to 5.65kg. Wow. I love how quickly the bike accelerates with these wheels. I'm running 25mm Vittoira Corsa Speed G+ 2.0 tubeless tires, which are equally light and fast.

I've taken them down descents close to 50mph (80 kph) and they hold their line really well. The one area I need to work on is brake squeel at the end of fast descents. I'm using Prime Carbon Pro brake pads (because I had a lot of spares) and they do squeel. Maybe I have to lessen the toe-in.

The brakes are pretty grabby too (Graphene brake surface). Easy to lock the wheels up with my EE direct mount brakes.
Trek Emonda with EIE wheels and extralite hubs
Trek Emonda with EIE wheels and extralite hubs