Bora Ultra update???

Everything about building wheels, glueing tubs, etc.
rollinslow

by rollinslow

I'd like a set of Bora Ultras but the last update to then was 2018. I haven't seen anything anywhere about a 2020 update and only some talk about an ultra version of the WTO line.

Thoughts? Do you go with the current ultras or wait?

flying

by flying

I am guessing that the WTO's are the Bora recent update & as you said possibly next will be a Ultra WTO...So maybe not so much update as evolution

by Weenie

robertbb

by robertbb

The difference between the previous Bora Ultra and Bora One was purely in the hubs/bearings. Same spokes and rim.

I'd be surprised if Campy releases a WTO ultra, but could be wrong. It simply means yet another part article (the carbon hub) and they (as with other manufacturers) have been trying to reduce inventory articles... not increase them. Further, the Ultra (with carbon hub) was never available in disc model anyway (the front carbon hub didn't cope as well as an alloy hub with the additional load and braking forces of disc brakes)

Of course they may have solved that problem now... who knows. If they havn't, maybe rim brake bora ultra's will become a bit of a collectors piece.

jlok

by jlok

robertbb wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 4:16 am
Further, the Ultra (with carbon hub) was never available in disc model anyway (the front carbon hub didn't cope as well as an alloy hub with the additional load and braking forces of disc brakes)

Of course they may have solved that problem now... who knows. If they havn't, maybe rim brake bora ultra's will become a bit of a collectors piece.
The front hub of Racing Zero Carbon DB is indeed made of carbon tube joining the alloy flanges. I guess the brake force is mainly handled by the crossed spokes on the rotor side so a carbon tube is possible at the front.

At the rear, the brake force maybe mostly handled by the DS crossed spokes so that one piece alloy hub construction may be better.
Litespeed T1sl Disc / BMC TM02 < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

robertbb

by robertbb

jlok wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 7:05 am
robertbb wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 4:16 am
Further, the Ultra (with carbon hub) was never available in disc model anyway (the front carbon hub didn't cope as well as an alloy hub with the additional load and braking forces of disc brakes)

The front hub of Racing Zero Carbon DB is indeed made of carbon tube joining the alloy flanges. I guess the brake force is mainly handled by the crossed spokes on the rotor side so a carbon tube is possible at the front.

At the rear, the brake force maybe mostly handled by the DS crossed spokes so that one piece alloy hub construction may be better.
The Bora Ultra rim brake hub has carbon flanges too. The Fulcrum DB hub is more like a Shamal C17 hub - carbon tube bonded to alloy flanges.