Zipp 2020

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Spinnekop

by Spinnekop

ryanw wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 9:41 am
Spinnekop wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 9:39 am
WorkonSunday wrote:
Tue Jun 29, 2021 11:40 am
im dying to see more feedback on the new congition v2 hub compared to the old one. :mrgreen:
Bought a set of 353s in April.
The hub lasted 500km before it started to give problems.
You will pedal and then something happens that can be described as a "chain slip". As if the freewheelbody does not engage.

Sent it back to the local importer and after they tested it for a day or two confirmed something was wrong.

That was 2 MONTHS ago. Still waiting for my new rear wheel. :noidea:
Happens if one of the 3 magnets becomes dislodged. Could have happened in transit by heavy handed folk.
That is just it........the V2 Hub does not have magnets anymore.
It has a sponge spring in. Zipp calls it this magical weird name.
Basically a scotch brite sponge
1.jpg
2.jpg
Last edited by Spinnekop on Thu Jul 08, 2021 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
"In my experience, there is only one motivation, and that is DESIRE.
No reason or principle contain it or stand against it........"

PinaRene

by PinaRene

Sorry for my post before. I was wrong and have the V1 version with the magnets on both sets 303's and 454's. Both wheelsets came fron Team Katusha.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

markyboy

by markyboy

I'm considering the 404 for a new build but not sure on the hookless set up and low pressure for road riding.
I am also considering bora wto 45 as I have always used campag wheels
Colnago arabesque campagnolo super record 12
Colnago c64
Cinelli zydeco grx di2

Nickldn

by Nickldn

Would say the WTO 60's are a closer match to the 404's in terms of aero performance.

The WTO 45 is more of a fast all round wheel for me.
Giant Propel Advanced SL Red Etap 11s Easton EC90 wheels CeramicSpeed BB Zipp SL70 bars 6.5kg

Vitus ZX1 CRS Campy Chorus 12s Bora WTO 45 disk brake wheels Zipp SL70 bars 7.5kg

SL8 build with Craft CS5060 Wheels in progress

Darceking

by Darceking

OK - I was about to pull the trigger on the new Zipp 404 Firecrest ( https://www.sram.com/en/zipp/models/wh-404-ftld-b1 ) and have come across off the cuff comments about hookless and tubeless etc and sounded a bit negative. At the moment, I run the Roval CLX64 with Hutchinson Fusion 5 Performance as I just find they are the perfect tyre for the roads I ride on and I get good km's out of them.

Ideally I would love to stick with tyres but from the reccomended tyre from Zipp, these don't make the list. But they do make the list for the ENVE Foundation 65 hookless rims.

I could try Pirelli or go back to Schwalbe One Pro.

Note : I am 100kg and have no interest in racing on these wheels. Is there a reason for concearn ? I understand that I would need to run really low pressure also compared to what I do now which is about 80f/85r

IceLed

by IceLed

Got my wheelset today! Thank for all the feedback and guidance. Eventually settled on 303 FC as I got way better deal compared to 404, plus I already have better deep section set.

First thing I did of course is to weight them and got positively surprised - 1381 grams, with everything included as shipped - rim tape, valves and even the valve caps Image

As for tyres - went with the advice of Ryanw (thanks!) and got Veloflex Corsa Evo 28 TLR.
Rear tyre was a bit of a struggle to inflate on until I used soapy water and booster. Front was a breeze - just my normal track pump (but learning from the rear wheel already prepared with soapy water). Both tyres went on the rim by hand, no tyre levers whatsoever.

Looks - to each its own, but I love how they look. About to ride them later today so will share more.

Attached some photos. ImageImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

S-Works Venge 2019 Battleship
Previous bikes:
Canyon Aeroad CF SLX Disc 2019
Canyon Ultimate CF SL Disc
Canyon Endurace AL
Cube Agree C:62
Cube Peloton

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

Fantastic! Looks great and you'll love how supple they ride. Be sure to use the SRAM calculator for the correct pressures.

Just fitted another set myself to this love Open U.P. with the new Zipp G40 700x40c tyres.
Attachments
58159849-1E5A-435F-AAF0-735D195D5617.jpeg
29F6B88D-EA6A-4FC7-A3D8-06CB83F2197B.jpeg
SL8 S-Works Project Black - 6.29kg
IG: RhinosWorkshop

markyboy

by markyboy

I just bought the 404 and Pirelli tyres as I did not think the veloflex was recommended on the rims.
I had the veloflex on my wto and loved them.
Colnago arabesque campagnolo super record 12
Colnago c64
Cinelli zydeco grx di2

WorkonSunday

by WorkonSunday

PinaRene wrote:
Wed Jul 07, 2021 9:46 pm
WorkonSunday wrote:
im dying to see more feedback on the new congition v2 hub compared to the old one. :mrgreen:
Well I have them ( Cognition V2 ) on both my 303's and 454's and I am quite happy with them. Freehub sound is almost silent, coasting is good and bearings are smooth.... really smooth. I can only compare them with my 202's and 404's with the 77/177 hubs.
303 nsw has the updated V2 hubs ? is that from stock or you upgraded them ?
Spinnekop wrote:
WorkonSunday wrote:
You will pedal and then something happens that can be described as a "chain slip". As if the freewheelbody does not engage.

Sent it back to the local importer and after they tested it for a day or two confirmed something was wrong.

wow. thats quite bad, certainly the fact that you cant ride the wheel for two months while they are going through their claiming process.
Some say pour 10ml water out of your bottle to save that last bit of the weight. Sorry, i go one step further, i tend to the rider off my bikes. :thumbup:
n+1...14 last time i checked, but i lost count :mrgreen:

Spinnekop

by Spinnekop

WorkonSunday wrote:
Fri Jul 16, 2021 8:13 am
PinaRene wrote:
Wed Jul 07, 2021 9:46 pm
WorkonSunday wrote:
Well I have them ( Cognition V2 ) on both my 303's and 454's and I am quite happy with them. Freehub sound is almost silent, coasting is good and bearings are smooth.... really smooth. I can only compare them with my 202's and 404's with the 77/177 hubs.
303 nsw has the updated V2 hubs ? is that from stock or you upgraded them ?
Spinnekop wrote:
WorkonSunday wrote:

wow. thats quite bad, certainly the fact that you cant ride the wheel for two months while they are going through their claiming process.
Very bad experience. After I have been an avid Zipp supporter - 7 sets of wheels, bars, stems etc - this will be my last buy from them. SInce their take-over by SRAM it has become a bit of a mess. :noidea:

After about a month the local importer graciously offered to build a 177 hub into the wheels which I am now riding while I wait.
I am afraid that this only gives them an excuse to take even longer now.
But I am very grateful to have something to ride on at the moment. :beerchug:
"In my experience, there is only one motivation, and that is DESIRE.
No reason or principle contain it or stand against it........"

sebrenaud

by sebrenaud

Hello
Any idea why the 353 nsw are not available until October?
Enjoy all a nice day

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

sebrenaud wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:48 am
Hello
Any idea why the 353 nsw are not available until October?
Enjoy all a nice day

The pandemic is still wreaking havoc with component supply. It’s not getting better any time soon either.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

I have never owned a zipp wheelset, but all i see is reports on hub problems! Is it really as bas as it seems?
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

MariusRO

by MariusRO

Nickldn wrote:
Fri Jul 09, 2021 6:58 pm
Would say the WTO 60's are a closer match to the 404's in terms of aero performance.

The WTO 45 is more of a fast all round wheel for me.
Any idea (tests) on how the 2021 404NSW or 454NSW compare with the Bora WTOs ?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Tofast

by Tofast

IceLed wrote:
Wed Jul 14, 2021 1:46 pm
Got my wheelset today! Thank for all the feedback and guidance. Eventually settled on 303 FC as I got way better deal compared to 404, plus I already have better deep section set.

First thing I did of course is to weight them and got positively surprised - 1381 grams, with everything included as shipped - rim tape, valves and even the valve caps Image

As for tyres - went with the advice of Ryanw (thanks!) and got Veloflex Corsa Evo 28 TLR.
Rear tyre was a bit of a struggle to inflate on until I used soapy water and booster. Front was a breeze - just my normal track pump (but learning from the rear wheel already prepared with soapy water). Both tyres went on the rim by hand, no tyre levers whatsoever.

Looks - to each its own, but I love how they look. About to ride them later today so will share more.

Attached some photos. ImageImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Is there a drain hole in the rim?