Zipp 2020

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

stjepan

by stjepan

Hi all,

I've just today received my new Zipp 404 Firecrest rear wheel. After inspecting it a closely I've noticed that there are mulitple marks on the carbon. None of those are scratches/indentations, but just look nasty to my eyes.
Has anyone else received their wheels like this? Do they scratch that easily? I don't remember seing such problems with my 303 S wheelset while I had it.
Thanks for the feedback, really appreciated.
Attachments
IMG_3770.jpg
IMG_3772.jpg
IMG_3773.jpg
IMG_3774.jpg
IMG_3777.jpg
IMG_3778.jpg

jarm

by jarm

Yes same on mine.

What about the valve hole? Is it centered on rear wheel like on front? Or is it off center?

I had issue with inflating the rear. The valve hole was off-centered and I felt air swooshing from inside the rim, from the drain hole. So tough the valve didn't seal the hole as it was off-centered. Tightened it down, but still didn't seal properly.

Sent the wheel back and now received a replacement. On the replacement, the hole is still off-centered, just like on the first one. I'm not sure if they actually sent me a new one or maybe it's the same wheel I sent back :D

I managed to inflate it now, but it's quite difficult. The front just pops and is supper easy, but not the rear wheel. Probably wouldn be able to inflate it without a compressor on a roadside.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

stjepan

by stjepan

Funny that. Never would expect such marks showing up so easily on a Zipp's carbon wheelset.

One more thing (pardon the newbie question), my LBS installed the disc on the wheel, but didn't use the far right ring on the picture. What is that for?
Attachments
393878.jpg

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

stjepan wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 7:46 am
Funny that. Never would expect such marks showing up so easily on a Zipp's carbon wheelset.

One more thing (pardon the newbie question), my LBS installed the disc on the wheel, but didn't use the far right ring on the picture. What is that for?

My dude, that's two centerlock disc rotor lockrings, two plastic valve core tools and a freehub/cassette spacer.

stjepan

by stjepan

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 8:07 am
stjepan wrote:

My dude, that's two centerlock disc rotor lockrings, two plastic valve core tools and a freehub/cassette spacer.
Thanks for the help, I wasn't sure only about the freehub/cassette spacer. Should the LBS have installed the spacer as a must on the wheel (as he didn't)? The cassette is Ultegra 11-32.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

stjepan wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 8:20 am

Thanks for the help, I wasn't sure only about the freehub/cassette spacer. Should the LBS have installed the spacer as a must on the wheel (as he didn't)? The cassette is Ultegra 11-32.

No, the 11-32t 11spd cassette does not utilize the spacer.

stjepan

by stjepan

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 8:41 am
stjepan wrote:

No, the 11-32t 11spd cassette does not utilize the spacer.
Ok, thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated.

stjepan

by stjepan

So, back to those marks on the wheel. They are quite obvious and do bother me, but if this is to be expected I'll live with it. Just didn't see any marks on 303S' (and I mean none).
Anybody else experiencing the same with Zipp's wheels (any recent model)?

Jackofallgrades

by Jackofallgrades

To me that wouldn't be acceptable from a new wheel, just an opinion.
Cannondale SSEvo3 'Atticus' - 7.2kg
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=161634

Cannondale Systemsix ’Dante’ - 7.7kg
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=167144

jarm

by jarm

Yeah I agree. Expected more from a high end brand like Zipp. Would be ok for a generic Chinese wheel, but not for Zipp.

Karvalo

by Karvalo

stjepan wrote:
TobinHatesYou wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 8:07 am
stjepan wrote:

It's for using either a 10 speed or a Shimano 11 speed 11-34 cassette only.

jarm

by jarm

Screenshot_20211008-165828_Gallery.jpg
Visually the wheels look stunning, with tan sidewall tires and all back bike. Will change discs to black version also.

But not happy with the quality of the Zipp 404s.

jarm

by jarm

Wrote dirctly to Zipp about the valve being of off center and their response was "it's certainyl odd". So I quess I'll be sending the wheel back once more.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

jarm wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 3:02 pm
Screenshot_20211008-165828_Gallery.jpg

Visually the wheels look stunning, with tan sidewall tires and all back bike. Will change discs to black version also.

But not happy with the quality of the Zipp 404s.
That is really a good match :thumbup:
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

stjepan wrote:
Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:28 pm
Hi all,

I've just today received my new Zipp 404 Firecrest rear wheel. After inspecting it a closely I've noticed that there are mulitple marks on the carbon. None of those are scratches/indentations, but just look nasty to my eyes.
Has anyone else received their wheels like this? Do they scratch that easily? I don't remember seing such problems with my 303 S wheelset while I had it.
Thanks for the feedback, really appreciated.
i just bought 303 FC rim brake version. Super clean, not a mark. Everthing looks top notch and the valve holes are centered.
Rode them today, they rode different from my Schmolke TLO 45, Carbon Ti wheelset. The 303 seems smoother, like they damp road buzz a little better.
Stability in anykind of wind is really without remarks. Seems like a great set of wheels so far. Rear hub is very silent compared to Carbon Ti if that matters!?
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com