Zipp 2020

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

McByker

by McByker

LedZeppelin007 wrote:
Sun Aug 21, 2022 3:46 am
... 1386g for the 303FC also with XDR and tape/valves.
Interesting. I just weighed my new 303FC with shimano 11s driver, tape & valves at 787 R/ 638 F = 1425 total.
Valves weigh 5g each. I didn't take the factory tape off.

LedZeppelin007

by LedZeppelin007

McByker wrote:
LedZeppelin007 wrote:
Sun Aug 21, 2022 3:46 am
... 1386g for the 303FC also with XDR and tape/valves.
Interesting. I just weighed my new 303FC with shimano 11s driver, tape & valves at 787 R/ 638 F = 1425 total.
Valves weigh 5g each. I didn't take the factory tape off.
XD versions are supposedly 20g lighter. The remaining 20g is probably just manufacturing tolerance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

LedZeppelin007

by LedZeppelin007

FlatlandClimber wrote:Enve's chart is the opposite of conclusive. They named all ZIPP wheels incorrectly. We don't know if the 454 are the 2018 or 2021s were tested. Why do I even question that? Because the tested the Bontrager XXX wheels form 2016, and not the RSL wheels.

As per ZIPP, the 353 wasn't even designed in a windtunnel: "
Compare those measured tyre widths above to the 30.65 mm exterior width of the rim, and straight away, you can see that these wheels don’t meet the often referenced 105% rule and are therefore not going to please the aero-obsessed. In fact, according to Donzé, the 353 NSW did not spend design time in a wind tunnel."
Cyclingtips

I guess we don't know.
However, the 353 are not an aerodynamic wheel, but rather an all-road wheel. It's Almost certainly less aero than the 303, and also I have not found a tire combination that works aerodynamically by the 105 rule.
Every 28c I've seen on the 353 balloons to 31mm or more.
The 454 is narrower externally (by 2mm) but also internally (also by 2mm). So a 28c tire has a higher chance to come in at 28-29mm.
Ended up with the 454s after sending some 353s back after a ride. Have had several experiences with the new Enve 4.5s as well, prior to my recent set literally exploding.

Some interesting first impressions after a 20-mile rolling test ride:

Nice build, seemed true. Easy to put on GP5K S TRs. After inflation, the front wheel went slightly out of true. Didn’t bug me enough to fix.

Weight:
-353s were 1328g with tape and valves
-454s are 1408g with tape and valves

Tire Width:
-353s sat 28c GP 5000 ST Rs at 31.58mm
-454s sat same tires at 30.3mm (initially was 29mm, but expanded after first ride)

Ride Comfort:
I may be crazy, but I thought the 454s were actually a little more comfortable than the 353s, which I thought were comfy but very stiff. Neither the 353 nor the 454 flexed under power, even with my large self on them. I’m not sure either are as comfy as the 4.5, but all are significantly more comfortable than my Rapide CLs with 28mm Turbo Cottons and latex tubes.

Handling:
A real strong suit of the 353 and 454. I usually don’t think about how wheels handle unless they really jump out as a strength. The 353s just felt like magic while descending, same to a slightly lesser degree than the 454s.

Climbing:
A real toss up between the 353s and 454s for me on this, believe it or not. I couldn’t tell much difference. I like the feel of climbing on the Zips better than the 4.5s which could feel dull and slightly flexy for me at times. Very impressed by the 454s here.

Stability:
Didn’t feel any cross wind pressure on the 353s. 4.5s are phenomenal in cross winds as are my Rapide CLs. Interestingly, I thought the 454s caught a bit more side wind than the others. However, when they did, it was more predictable and less of an issue. Weird.

Speed:
Hard to tell, honestly. They felt faster than the 353s, especially on the flats. It’s a toss up in feel of speed between the 4.5s and 454s for me, with an edge to the Enves. I put effort into 3 segments today (a short climb, a rolling 3.5 mile loop, and a rolling 1.5 mile descent). I set PRs on each of those last week when trying out the 353s. I beat each of those times today on the 454s, but it did require significantly more power. I think wind conditions likely played a role, however. When up above 40kph, the 454s felt in control and fast. Above 50, they felt even better.

Overall, initial impressions are that they are great wheels that are overpriced. I’m most impressed with the handling and climbing elements of these wheels. If it were a blind test, there’s no way I would’ve thought they were deep section wheels. If the fins do anything, I think they add some nice strength and stiffness, and they MAY make cross wind stalling more predictable.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

FlatlandClimber

by FlatlandClimber

Interesting in depth write up. Climbing can be faster for the 454, especially when the climb is super fast. 90g weight difference will hardly be measurable in difference of speed, let alone noticeable.
Cervelo P5 Disc (2021) 9.1kg
Factor Ostro Gravel (2023) 8.0kg
S-Works SL8 (2023) 6.3kg

*weights are race ready, size 58/L.
Sold: Venge, S5 Disc, Roubaix Team, Open WI.DE, Émonda, Shiv TT, Crux, Aethos, SL7

yingyu

by yingyu

Great review. Hopefully that puts a happy end to your wheel search saga.

For comfort, I find 353 works better at a few psi lower than Zipp's recommendation. Otherwise the wide tires just bounce around every bump. I ride my 454 with 25c, which probably took away some comfort. For climbing, experiences from my friend tester and me are that 353 works better when spinning up a long steady slope. 454 feels more solid when punching a short climb.

Zipp says the fins allow NSW rims to drop weight. PCW also claims the same, explaining that the wavy design allows carbon fibers to be pulled instead of being compressed around spoke holes.

LedZeppelin007

by LedZeppelin007

I am cursed. There is no other explanation. Started off on an 80 mile ride today, only made it 25 before calling it quits due to an increasingly annoying creak occurring both in and out of the saddle. Creak was worst at high torque/low rpm. Got home and systematically eliminated all of the usual suspects. Crank, bottom bracket, seat, seat post. Leaving the wheels.

Took the wheels off, made sure everything was torqued to spec, lubed the bearings, lubed the rear axle. Went back out. Same noise, even worse.

Came back home and put on the Rapides. Went back out again. Completely silent.

I’m guessing the rear hub on the 454s might be bad and probably not the spokes?

yingyu

by yingyu

My 353 also creaked when new. My LBS fixed it by relubing the ratchet parts. Any Zipp dealer should handle it for free under warranty.

LedZeppelin007

by LedZeppelin007

The shop appears to have fixed it. They tightened some spokes and re-oiled the ratchet.

eins4eins

by eins4eins

I was involved in a crash at a bike race yesterday and my Zipp 404 2022 disc front wheel got damaged. One spoke broke, some bent and rim scratched. Does anybody have experience with the warranty service of Zipp? What can i expect or said different: does it even make sense to go trough this process or should i just try to find somebody else to fix is?

kervelo

by kervelo

According to this the warranty should cover it:
https://support.zipp.com/hc/en-us/artic ... ty-policy-

eins4eins

by eins4eins

oh, thanks. should have looked into the FAQ myself.
Reads promising. Hopefully the vendor will take care of it quickly.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

eins4eins wrote:
Mon Aug 29, 2022 8:30 am
I was involved in a crash at a bike race yesterday and my Zipp 404 2022 disc front wheel got damaged. One spoke broke, some bent and rim scratched. Does anybody have experience with the warranty service of Zipp? What can i expect or said different: does it even make sense to go trough this process or should i just try to find somebody else to fix is?

If it’s just a superficial scratch, just relace the wheel locally. Don’t be the guy who warranties a wheel because of a cosmetic issue.

yingyu

by yingyu

A pothole cracked my rear 454. Zipp rebuild a wheel from the same hub with new rim and spokes. I paid $80 shipping fee for that. I would expect Zipp and your local dealer to fix the spokes. Doesn't hurt to ask.

eins4eins

by eins4eins

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Mon Aug 29, 2022 4:28 pm
eins4eins wrote:
Mon Aug 29, 2022 8:30 am

If it’s just a superficial scratch, just relace the wheel locally. Don’t be the guy who warranties a wheel because of a cosmetic issue.
After having to replace front and rear wheel bearings within the first 750km of use, i like the idea of not having to put more money into those wheels.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tonytourist

by tonytourist

yingyu wrote:
Sun Aug 28, 2022 1:12 am
My 353 also creaked when new. My LBS fixed it by relubing the ratchet parts. Any Zipp dealer should handle it for free under warranty.
Mine were quiet for the first few rides and then started making noise. I figured it was everything BUT the brand new wheels making the noise.
I cleaned mine and used the Phil Biolube since I couldn't get any of the Zipp stuff and the problem is gone. Whatever they use from the factory seemed very light, it also quieted down the freewheeling significantly, which wasn't loud to begin with. Overall, still happy with the wheels :thumbup: