Zipp 2020

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

bruno2000

by bruno2000

I've found the Zipp 303S to be the cheapest online at a belgian shop called 'Fashion for Cycling'.
My 303 Firecrest wheel I also purchased from BikeInn. They ship from Spain.

ads

by ads

Hi. I found this thread after looking for info on off-centre valve holes on the hookless zipp 404s... I've had two pairs from two different retailers and both had one wheel with an offset valve hole. On one set it was the rear and the other set the front. I've kept the set with the off centre hole on the rear as the tyre seats and seals properly. It is pretty lame by Zipp. Someone told me it's down to SRAM owning them now and QC isn't quite as good.
B1D905E3-E37B-4B0E-B47F-90DA4176C08B.jpeg
40382581-9743-4772-AE89-79A9E17AB5F0.jpeg
jarm wrote:
Thu Oct 07, 2021 11:05 pm
Yes same on mine.

What about the valve hole? Is it centered on rear wheel like on front? Or is it off center?

I had issue with inflating the rear. The valve hole was off-centered and I felt air swooshing from inside the rim, from the drain hole. So tough the valve didn't seal the hole as it was off-centered. Tightened it down, but still didn't seal properly.

Sent the wheel back and now received a replacement. On the replacement, the hole is still off-centered, just like on the first one. I'm not sure if they actually sent me a new one or maybe it's the same wheel I sent back :D

I managed to inflate it now, but it's quite difficult. The front just pops and is supper easy, but not the rear wheel. Probably wouldn be able to inflate it without a compressor on a roadside.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

ads wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:50 am
Hi. I found this thread after looking for info on off-centre valve holes on the hookless zipp 404s... I've had two pairs from two different retailers and both had one wheel with an offset valve hole. On one set it was the rear and the other set the front. I've kept the set with the off centre hole on the rear as the tyre seats and seals properly. It is pretty lame by Zipp. Someone told me it's down to SRAM owning them now and QC isn't quite as good.

SRAM support is excellent. Have a shop contact them on your behalf for a warranty replacement.

ads

by ads

Cheers for the reply.

To be honest I'm not sure I can be arsed. I've spent longer waiting for wheels than I have riding recently. The wheel holds air so I'm not sure there's really a problem. Surely structurally they'll be sound? It is only a few mm off after all...

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:23 am
ads wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:50 am

SRAM support is excellent. Have a shop contact them on your behalf for a warranty replacement.

MasterBean

by MasterBean

Does anyone know what the 303SE is? It's fitted onto some 2022 spec bikes.

Sent from my COL-L29 using Tapatalk

WorkonSunday

by WorkonSunday

MasterBean wrote:
Sun Oct 31, 2021 11:35 am

interesting, can you share a link or screenshot? :beerchug:

EDIT: actually, dont worry i found it. looks like a new hub? 303s has J spoke, this one has straight pull. previously zipp is quite vocal about 303 series can go off road but some, myself included, found the seals to be some what draggy, may be this is more geared towards road?

Some say pour 10ml water out of your bottle to save that last bit of the weight. Sorry, i go one step further, i tend to the rider off my bikes. :thumbup:
n+1...14 last time i checked, but i lost count :mrgreen:

dorin

by dorin

Hi there, i got today the new 404 FC, the wheels, both, make a noise like something is rattling inside then, gets nore probounced when slower rotation, am i the only one with this issue?

Floseph

by Floseph

dorin wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 11:01 pm
Hi there, i got today the new 404 FC, the wheels, both, make a noise like something is rattling inside then, gets nore probounced when slower rotation, am i the only one with this issue?
I may have had the same issue with my recently bought 303S. There was a small piece of carbon residue inside the rim. I believe it came from drilling the drain holes and tiny bits of carbon just fell inside the rim. I was able to shake it out through the valve hole before mounting everything. I was just about to box them up and send them back.
Sounds like you might have the same issue.

dorin

by dorin

Thanks Floseph, i though of the same but as is my 4th pair of Zipp wheels i didnt think it can have such a low quality control. I only had NSWs but c'mon even eur 1'700 cannot be treated as low cost...

ome rodriguez

by ome rodriguez

Anyone tried fitting 26mm tubeless tires on 353 nsw or 303 firecrest hookless(25mm internal) specifically pirelli p zero race tlr 26?

pmprego

by pmprego

ome rodriguez wrote:
Sun Nov 14, 2021 11:41 am
Anyone tried fitting 26mm tubeless tires on 353 nsw or 303 firecrest hookless(25mm internal) specifically pirelli p zero race tlr 26?
Even pirelli says the 26 are not hookless compatible. I'd go with that.

ome rodriguez

by ome rodriguez

pmprego wrote:
Sun Nov 14, 2021 2:45 pm
ome rodriguez wrote:
Sun Nov 14, 2021 11:41 am
Even pirelli says the 26 are not hookless compatible. I'd go with that.

My bad just seen it on the pirelli site. Thanks.

PinaRene

by PinaRene

Thinking about Pirelli P Zero Race TLR black/tan 28mm or Continental 5000TR in black/brown 28mm for my 303S DB wheels. Price is the same and both are on stock here in the Netherlands. Does any have experience with them and what are the mounted widths of these tires. I want to use them on my BMC SLR01 2020 and the bike has a clearance of 29/30mm max. As far as I read the Zipp / Sram site both are usable with the hookless rims.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kervelo

by kervelo

WorkonSunday wrote:
Tue Nov 02, 2021 2:46 pm
MasterBean wrote:
Sun Oct 31, 2021 11:35 am

interesting, can you share a link or screenshot? :beerchug:

EDIT: actually, dont worry i found it. looks like a new hub? 303s has J spoke, this one has straight pull. previously zipp is quite vocal about 303 series can go off road but some, myself included, found the seals to be some what draggy, may be this is more geared towards road?

I wonder if and when the 303 SE will be available? Not holding my breath though, during the covid times it will most likely take some time.