Roval 2020/2021 Road Wheelsets

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
Weber

by Weber

There is any site selling the disc roval c38 disc at good price right know?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

BianchiDave

by BianchiDave

Weber wrote:
Sun Oct 03, 2021 11:42 am
There is any site selling the disc roval c38 disc at good price right know?
These guys are normally very competitive, in the UK at least -
https://www.certini.co.uk/components/wh ... gKQxfD_BwE

Bought my Rapides from them. Great to deal with.

MrMorrison

by MrMorrison

Ok, who is going to test conti 5000s TR on a set of Roval Rapide's? I'll buy you a pint if you do......

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

I will once I can physically get a set of the tyres, and who knows when that will be...
SL8 S-Works Project Black - 6.29kg
IG: RhinosWorkshop

Ritsuke

by Ritsuke

I found them on R2-Bike but I guess UK shipping will be a dealbreaker?
Road // 2023 S-Works Tarmac SL8 | Shimano Dura-Ace Di2 | Roval Rapide CLX
Gravel // 2023 Specialized Crux Pro | SRAM Force AXS | Roval Terra CL
Retired // 2022 S-Works Shiv TT // 2021 S-Works Tarmac SL7 // 2019 Specialized Allez Sprint Red Hook

aeroisnteverything

by aeroisnteverything

Ritsuke wrote:
Tue Oct 05, 2021 8:32 pm
I found them on R2-Bike but I guess UK shipping will be a dealbreaker?
It actually isn't. I've ordered from them post-Brexit.

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

Yep, you get stung with a £12 admin fee and 20% taxes, but they still deliver, and quite fast.

Sleeprequired

by Sleeprequired

ryanw wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 7:36 pm
I will once I can physically get a set of the tyres, and who knows when that will be...
Are tubeless actually safe on the rapides? I know there's 94 pages here but just wanted thoughts from people who have done it

K4m1k4z3

by K4m1k4z3

>2021
>Tubeless winning left, right and center (TT Worlds, Roubaix absolutely DOMINATED by tubeless)
>Be SPECIALIZED
>Have TWO relatively new-ish road wheel lineups
>Be absolutely ADAMANT about them NOT being tubeless ready because of 'MUH GRAMS'

How will SPECIALIZED ever recover? :lol:
Sleeprequired wrote: Are tubeless actually safe on the rapides? I know there's 94 pages here but just wanted thoughts from people who have done it
I'd say that as long as you don't go overboard with the pressures and stick to the modern and reasonable guidelines around 75 PSI max you should be totally fine.
'24 S-Works Tarmac SL8 RTP - soon™
'22 Tarmac SL7 Expert | Ultegra R8100 | Alpinist CL / Custom Rapide CLX 2x60
'19 Diverge E5 Comp
'18 Epic HT Comp Carbon WMN
'18 TCR Adv Pro 1 Disc

Sleeprequired

by Sleeprequired

K4m1k4z3 wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 9:23 am
>2021
>Tubeless winning left, right and center (TT Worlds, Roubaix absolutely DOMINATED by tubeless)
>Be SPECIALIZED
>Have TWO relatively new-ish road wheel lineups
>Be absolutely ADAMANT about them NOT being tubeless ready because of 'MUH GRAMS'

How will SPECIALIZED ever recover? :lol:
Sleeprequired wrote: Are tubeless actually safe on the rapides? I know there's 94 pages here but just wanted thoughts from people who have done it
I'd say that as long as you don't go overboard with the pressures and stick to the modern and reasonable guidelines around 75 PSI max you should be totally fine.
Thanks for that, so the new gp5000 TR's seem like an obvious choice.

I'm looking at roval rapide clx vs enve 5.6ses to replace my current (very fast) LightBicycle WR56 as part of an SL7 purchase.

Once thing I'm a bit concerned about is I've found my
Current wheels to be very fast. I'd hate to swap over to the rovals and have them be slower.

Being totally subjective and not worrying about brands and prices, does anyone here have experience or opinion on any difference?

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

I owned two pairs of Enve 5.6s and sold both shortly after I bought two pairs of Rapides.

Haven't ridden WR56s, but they're 5mm deeper and 4mm shallower, so assume will be very close to the Rapides in straight line speed.

However, I can guarantee you that the Rapides shall handle much better in winds.

petromyzon

by petromyzon

Ritsuke wrote:
Sun Oct 03, 2021 10:49 am
Anyone here combined the Roval CLX Rapide wheels with the Enve tubeless tires? I'd like to go for that combo.
So you can go really slow AND risk death? :D :D :D

petromyzon

by petromyzon

Sleeprequired wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 7:10 am
Are tubeless actually safe on the rapides? I know there's 94 pages here but just wanted thoughts from people who have done it
I'm not sure a couple of anecdotal data points from people on the internet would be reassurring to me. n=3 people have done it for 6 months and not died yet.
You can find people on the internet who deliberately buy the regular non-tubeless GP5000 and run it tubeless to save weight. Doesn't mean it's a good idea.
(To be clear, if I had some Rapides I would try them tubeless, but that's because I think that is a reasonable risk with my weight and pressures not because some people on here have done it. My teeth, my dental bill or funeral expenses)

Sleeprequired

by Sleeprequired

ryanw wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:02 pm
I owned two pairs of Enve 5.6s and sold both shortly after I bought two pairs of Rapides.

Haven't ridden WR56s, but they're 5mm deeper and 4mm shallower, so assume will be very close to the Rapides in straight line speed.

However, I can guarantee you that the Rapides shall handle much better in winds.
Did some very interesting testing today with my 2020 roubaix in 56 with the LB wheels vs a tarmac sl7 52 sworks with roval CL wheels.

We did the testing because my mate has consistently been 20 or so watts higher than me while riding over averages of 10, 20, 60 & 120 minutes and more.

We thought his Assiomas were off, so we swapped them with mine.

We tested on a flat 5k loop in Melbourne at a place called Albert park at a steady 220 watts or so. His stack was lower than mine, he rides the sl7 in a 52 with a much lower stack and I'm on a roubaix with 56mm LB wheels.

We rode side by side but far enough apart to account for all but the last 1 or 2 watts with wind etc.

Roubaix lap 1 - 194w compared to 217w for the SL7

23w in favour of the roubaix vs the sl7 with rapides!

Lap 2 - roubaix 207w vs 220 for the sl7

13w delta win for the roubaix! - in this lap we made sure he was in an aero position and significantly lower than me and still 13w in favour of the roubaix? We also swapped helmets as I've got an evade II helmet And he's using a protone.

We are different heights but present roughly the same frontal area to the wind, me being the taller of the two on the roubaix, track was flat. Roubaix is the heavier bike too by 300g.

So we've had 2 sets of power pedals agree even when swapped. I'm baffled.

We're going to swap out the wheels and see what happens.

But it certainly gives me pause for thought to get my new sl7 sworks and end up slower!! I don't drink the cool aid so I'm not expecting to be that much faster but I'm sure as sh*t not wanting to be 23w slower.

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

So two different riders, with different kit, on different bikes, with different components, produced different results.

O.M.G...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com