Roval 2020/2021 Road Wheelsets

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
pmprego

by pmprego

jmfreeman535 wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 7:26 pm
Could it be that they are worried about damaging the front rim over the cobbles?

I second the Rapides being the most stable wheel that I've ever ridden, and that the areo benefit out weights the weight penatly, but if I'm riding that course, and had the chocie, I'd go for the Alpinists.
Can you elaborate? What's the reasoning?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jimja

by jimja

FlatlandClimber wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 2:20 pm
Many pros will prefer the Alpinist even in the velodrome, they are neither accelerating better nor is a V-shaped front rim noticeably better in the wind than their Rapide front wheel.
It's just what pros are used to.
The rapide CLX are the by far most stable wheels I have ever ridden in the Wind. More stable than ENVE 3.4 or RsL37, I mean it!
I second FlatlandClimber on the stability of the Rapide.

I've compared to the Enve SES 3.4 AR, Enve SES 4.5 AR and the 2021 Zipp Firecrest. The Rapide (on 26mm TurboCotton and 28mm GP4000II) is more stable than the 3.4 AR (less deep) and 4.5 AR (close to same depth) both on 28 mm RapidAir Turbos. The 2021 Zipp 303 Firecrest (on 28 mm Zipp Tangente Speed) is actually more stable, but much less deep. This was testing during high-wind warning in SoCal with gusts up to 50mph (though I doubt I was hit with anything more than 30mph).

With the Rapide, you might slightly lean into the wind when it gets windy, but I have high confidence on fast descents at holding my desired line. I would described the 3.4 AR and the 4.5 AR as feeling like a low-amplitude but slightly higher frequency twitch, where I give myself a few more inches side to side margin for holding my line in high winds - I have to concentrate more. The Rapide is a low-amplitude, low-frequency gentle push and requires less concentration because it has so many fewer oh #*$@ moments in gusty winds. The new Zipp 303 Firecrest feels like my old box section alloy Ksyrium - I don't notice crosswind at all, even when flags are clearly blowing - those are really nuts, but clearly less deep.

jmfreeman535

by jmfreeman535

pmprego wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 8:40 pm
jmfreeman535 wrote:
Could it be that they are worried about damaging the front rim over the cobbles?

I second the Rapides being the most stable wheel that I've ever ridden, and that the areo benefit out weights the weight penatly, but if I'm riding that course, and had the chocie, I'd go for the Alpinists.
The rim is wider than the tire, thus putting it into a percarious situation when hitting those rough and jagged cobblestones at race speed.

pmprego

by pmprego

jmfreeman535 wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 4:11 am
pmprego wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 8:40 pm
jmfreeman535 wrote:

The rim is wider than the tire, thus putting it into a percarious situation when hitting those rough and jagged cobblestones at race speed.
If that's the case I'd go wider tires then.

jmfreeman535

by jmfreeman535

pmprego wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 7:16 am
If that's the case I'd go wider tires then.
Have you looked at the Rapide's specs? 21mm inner, 35mm outer...it's desinged to be wider than the tire, and that (and whatever other sorcery they added) is what makes them so damn stable.

Nobody is going to run them with a 35c+ tire.

HansZuDemFranz

by HansZuDemFranz

This may be a pretty stupid question, as those wheels aren't really in the same league, but anyways:
I have chance to get either the the Zipp 303 S or the roval rapide for a pretty good price. Obviously the rapides would still be twice as expensive.
Taking this into account, which wheelset should I pick. Keep in mind, that I'm a heavier rider (193cm, 85-87kg).
Or something completely different?

jimja

by jimja

HansZuDemFranz wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 8:29 am
This may be a pretty stupid question, as those wheels aren't really in the same league, but anyways:
I have chance to get either the the Zipp 303 S or the roval rapide for a pretty good price. Obviously the rapides would still be twice as expensive.
Taking this into account, which wheelset should I pick. Keep in mind, that I'm a heavier rider (193cm, 85-87kg).
That's a remarkably different set of choices.

I would personally look at what kind of rides you're planning to do and then to chose the appropriate wheelset for that. The ride type and what characteristics you value would likely make your decision process easier. Without that, it would be hard to make a reasoned decision.

jmfreeman535

by jmfreeman535

As you said, they really are apples to orages, so it really comes down to your requirements. Personally, until there is some sort of standard that wheel and tire manufactures can agree upon/manufacture to, I'm staying away from hookless rims. That, and I'm not fond of the lower pressures that you need to run with them (I'm 78-80kg), so that eliminates the 303's for me.

The Rapides, on the other hand are superb, and are well worth the price. But are not tubeless compatible- technically speaking- so if that is a main sticking point for you, then they may not work.

If budget is a concern, then I would go with something from Light Bicycle or even the Bontrager Aeolus Pro 37.

HansZuDemFranz

by HansZuDemFranz

jmfreeman535 wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 8:13 pm
As you said, they really are apples to orages, so it really comes down to your requirements. Personally, until there is some sort of standard that wheel and tire manufactures can agree upon/manufacture to, I'm staying away from hookless rims. That, and I'm not fond of the lower pressures that you need to run with them (I'm 78-80kg), so that eliminates the 303's for me.

The Rapides, on the other hand are superb, and are well worth the price. But are not tubeless compatible- technically speaking- so if that is a main sticking point for you, then they may not work.

If budget is a concern, then I would go with something from Light Bicycle or even the Bontrager Aeolus Pro 37.
The problem with my two options is, that with the rovals I'm betting on tubed tyres and with the zipps I'm betting on tubeless. And while I like the idea of tubeless, I had mixed experiences so far. The gravel capabilities of the zipps don't matter to me, as they will be strictly used for road riding. I already looked at lightbicycle and farsports, but I'm not sure I want to wait 2 months for the wheels.
Would you consider my weight to be a problem with the rovals? They are rated for 120kg system weight, if I recall correctly, but I really want something bulletproof.

jmfreeman535

by jmfreeman535

HansZuDemFranz wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:07 pm
The problem with my two options is, that with the rovals I'm betting on tubed tyres and with the zipps I'm betting on tubeless. And while I like the idea of tubeless, I had mixed experiences so far. The gravel capabilities of the zipps don't matter to me, as they will be strictly used for road riding. I already looked at lightbicycle and farsports, but I'm not sure I want to wait 2 months for the wheels.
Would you consider my weight to be a problem with the rovals? They are rated for 120kg system weight, if I recall correctly, but I really want something bulletproof.
I find faffing around with tubeless to be annyoing. I run it on my gravel bike since I don't really have a choice, but when if comes to the road, I'll stick to clinchers.

I don't think that your weight would be an issue with the Rapides...I don't have a ton of miles on mine, but they haven't given me any cause for concern thus far, and the CLX50's that I had before were problem free.

jadedaid

by jadedaid

Has anyone here run both the Rapide CLX and Bora WTO (either in 45 or 60 guise)? I'm still looking for a wheel upgrade and been wondering whether the Rapide or Boras would suit me better.

Where I am we have mostly rolling terrain and flatland, and the wide Rapides have caught my attention as trying something dramatically different to what I'm used to. The Boras seem like an evolution of what's come before but at a weight penalty compared to the Rapides...

FlatlandClimber

by FlatlandClimber

If I had one set of wheels, it would clearly be the Rapide. Best wheels I have. And I have quite a good stable to choose from.
Cervelo P5 Disc (2021) 9.1kg
Factor Ostro Gravel (2023) 8.0kg
S-Works SL8 (2023) 6.3kg

*weights are race ready, size 58/L.
Sold: Venge, S5 Disc, Roubaix Team, Open WI.DE, Émonda, Shiv TT, Crux, Aethos, SL7

uppis

by uppis

Does anyone know are rapides fastest with 25mm or 28mm tires, haven't found anything offical from Specialized? What sizes and tires are people running? I haven't got my wheels yet, but 25mm sounds little wide considering the profile of the wheels. Also going to run tubes for now.

bruno2000

by bruno2000

HansZuDemFranz wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 8:29 am
I'm in the exact same place as you.
I have a set of Alpinist for my S works Venge.
Now in doubt to add a pair of Zipp 303 S - Zipp 303 or Rapide CLX.
Main concern is the Rapide CLX' price therefore I went looking elsewhere and ended up with Zipp 303.
Tubeless or not doesn't really matter to me. I even might like the idea of having a light aero pavé-proof wheelset.
My next problem now is to go for the 303 S or the more expensive 303 Firecrest.
I'm not that kind of a strong rider who would feel the difference in aero properties, so it's down to weight/price/knowing the 303 firecrest is the higher-end wheelset.

FlatlandClimber

by FlatlandClimber

uppis wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 7:37 am
Does anyone know are rapides fastest with 25mm or 28mm tires, haven't found anything offical from Specialized? What sizes and tires are people running? I haven't got my wheels yet, but 25mm sounds little wide considering the profile of the wheels. Also going to run tubes for now.
The front wheel works great with a 25c or 26c (Specialized TC). A 28c likely is hardly a penalty, but they are designed for 26c TCs.
The rearwheel is a different story. It is designed around the 26c also, but they ballon over the rim a little. Aerodynamically, a narrower tire would be faster I guess, but then there is comfort/ confidence and crr... So I guess a 25c/26c is the best compromise here also.
Cervelo P5 Disc (2021) 9.1kg
Factor Ostro Gravel (2023) 8.0kg
S-Works SL8 (2023) 6.3kg

*weights are race ready, size 58/L.
Sold: Venge, S5 Disc, Roubaix Team, Open WI.DE, Émonda, Shiv TT, Crux, Aethos, SL7

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com