Roval 2020/2021 Road Wheelsets

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

Sometimes I feel like I'm talking in an alien language... Why can people not understand me?!
SL8 S-Works Project Black - 6.29kg
IG: RhinosWorkshop

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

pmprego

by pmprego

ryanw wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:55 pm
Sometimes I feel like I'm talking in an alien language... Why can people not understand me?!
This thread now has 80 pages. People don't go back to read them. They come here see a guy "i'm using them tubeless" and react "but what on earth?!".

lukext

by lukext

jadedaid wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:17 am

I weigh 69kg, and have a sprint of around 1300w. Zero issues with stiffness either during sprinting or descending. I haven't tried many wheelsets but they are much much stiffer than my previous chinese carbon wheels which had 28h F+R.

They genuinely come across as stiff to me, but perhaps Ryan or Flatlandclimber can chime in?
ryanw wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:20 am
85kg, 1,800w sprint. Not a single issue.

Built up around 20 pairs of these tubeless with all raving reviews from customers. Much better suited to tubeless than CLX 32/50/64.
Cheers, replies appreciated :)

tommyboyo

by tommyboyo

Anyone serviced their Alpinists/Rapides yet and know the bearing specs?

Some combo of 15267 and 6802 it seems, but if anyone knows the exacts then much appreciated.

Thanks

alanyu

by alanyu

It's said by an insider that Specialized is developing the true TLR rapide and alpinist with a reinforced tire bed.

HansZuDemFranz

by HansZuDemFranz

alanyu wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:42 am
It's said by an insider that Specialized is developing the true TLR rapide and alpinist with a reinforced tire bed.
Im shocked... :roll:

andreas

by andreas

alanyu wrote:
Gah, I'm seconds away from pulling the trigger on the current offering... would probably be a 2022 model at the earliest?

tommyboyo

by tommyboyo

Question for any Alpinist owners (may also apply to Rapide, no idea).

When I climb in my biggest (28) sprocket and am putting down some decent power on a heavy gradient, the spokes make a bit of a noise. Only in that gear though.

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this?

Cheers

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

put a dab of oil where they spokes cross.. that usually solves any sounds for me....but if only happening in that gear you might want to double check your deraillier limits just to be sure the chain does not touch the spokes just to be safe.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

alanyu

by alanyu

andreas wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:32 pm
alanyu wrote:
Gah, I'm seconds away from pulling the trigger on the current offering... would probably be a 2022 model at the earliest?
He can't guarantee the releasing time, but considering that spesh is still producing rapidair which is over *00% profit, they should be acting fast IMO.

tommyboyo

by tommyboyo

alanyu wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:30 am
andreas wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:32 pm
alanyu wrote:
He can't guarantee the releasing time, but considering that spesh is still producing rapidair which is over *00% profit, they should be acting fast IMO.
Quite a funny debacle really.

What gets me, is how they have got DQS et al to pull the company line and say how clinchers are now faster than tubeless and tubular again!!

For now...

andreas

by andreas

tommyboyo wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:34 am

Quite a funny debacle really.

What gets me, is how they have got DQS et al to pull the company line and say how clinchers are now faster than tubeless and tubular again!!

For now...
Adding to the confusion, Specialized marketing describes the fact that they opted out of TL as a weight-saving measure in their design process, while the seemingly last minute change of heart and the fact that people run them successfully with TL suggests that it was more of a lawyer/failed durability test kind of issue?
Rapide CLX and Alpinist CLX wheels are not compatible with tubeless road tires. By making them tube-type specific we were able to create lighter and better complete wheels systems for performance road riders. To render these wheels tubeless would have required extra materials, and that extra mass would have outweighed the benefits of tubeless tires.
Edit: This is the best write-up I've read on the issue - https://roadbikeaction.com/road-tubeles ... -tubeless/

Shrike

by Shrike

What you guys think about running a 28mm Corsa G2 clincher on the rear of the Rapide CLXs?

I’m running 25mm front and rear and the rear just seems really harsh. I had PSI down to around 60ish today on the rear to try and get them to match the comfort of my 28mm Schwalbes on other wheel set and went for the first proper thrash fest on them today - they’re still bouncy and a bit harsh! Super fast though, zero complaints there. These things are immense at speed.

These tyres are softer than the Schwalbes too, should be a plusher ride. Only so low pressure wise I can go before the punctures start. Really want to use these for some epic long efforts, but need to get the rear feeling better first.

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

I've been running 28c TLR Corsas front and rear all winter. Absolutely love them and the grip the offer at 70/75psi (85kg). Makes 25s feel crashy now...
SL8 S-Works Project Black - 6.29kg
IG: RhinosWorkshop

andreas

by andreas

Disliked the Corsa Control G2 TLR 25mm, felt harsh and grip wasn't on par with GP5000TL. Also hell to mount. Ended up tossing them after a few hundred km.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com