Roval 2020/2021 Road Wheelsets

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
gSporco

by gSporco

zik wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 6:30 am
Thanks gSporco, could you put the wheels on scale? I know how much they weight from internet reviews, but I'd like to hear it from user.
Surprising they are lighter than Rovals stated weight: Total = 1338g These are now for sale in the USA, they came with my Aethos build which I just bought for parts and I have no use for these pretty wheels.. PM if anyone is interested

And for the hooks lol
@gSporco - Instagram
Specialized Aethos
State All Road 6061
Retired Cervelo Aspero

pmprego

by pmprego

gSporco wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:15 pm
zik wrote:
Thanks gSporco, could you put the wheels on scale? I know how much they weight from internet reviews, but I'd like to hear it from user.
Surprising they are lighter than Rovals stated weight: Total = 1338g These are now for sale in the USA, they came with my Aethos build which I just bought for parts and I have no use for these pretty wheels.. PM if anyone is interested
Those are fantastic wheels. Would they be officially tubeless compatible it'd be my obvious choice. It was a real miss from Roval.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

gSporco

by gSporco

pmprego wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:51 pm
gSporco wrote:
zik wrote:
Those are fantastic wheels. Would they be officially tubeless compatible it'd be my obvious choice. It was a real miss from Roval.
So to open up that can of worms on tubeless.

Personally, I "would" run them tubeless. They have all the attributes of a Tubeless Rim: Tubeless channel down the center, Tubeless slanted channel or shoulder which angles the bead into the bead hook for locking purposes.

All the articles I have read about why Roval say "Tube Only" never gives a good reason why they say this.. There is even one article quoted on this thread from a magazine that actually took the internal measurements and angles to confirm that they are a tubeless design and they run them tubeless.

At the end of the day, who knows... Its not like they are making money selling tubes.. they could come out with their own Sealant and male just as much lol
@gSporco - Instagram
Specialized Aethos
State All Road 6061
Retired Cervelo Aspero

pmprego

by pmprego

gSporco wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:00 pm
pmprego wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:51 pm
gSporco wrote:
zik wrote:
So to open up that can of worms on tubeless.

Personally, I "would" run them tubeless. They have all the attributes of a Tubeless Rim: Tubeless channel down the center, Tubeless slanted channel or shoulder which angles the bead into the bead hook for locking purposes.

All the articles I have read about why Roval say "Tube Only" never gives a good reason why they say this.. There is even one article quoted on this thread from a magazine that actually took the internal measurements and angles to confirm that they are a tubeless design and they run them tubeless.

At the end of the day, who knows... Its not like they are making money selling tubes.. they could come out with their own Sealant and male just as much lol
I cannot really say you're wrong. The photos on their website still shows a tape saying "tubeless ready".

My issue is that if Roval didn't have the "courage" to stand by their wheels as tubeless compatible it's not going to be me taking whatever risk it might exist (even if very small). Thus, I'll not give them that "free pass" and contribute to their profit. It's like I'm trying to give them a penalty for not being totally transparent and entirely competent in their product development.

Matte86

by Matte86

I just listened the podcast of Ian Boswell with Jack Ultracyclist
He mentioned that in his the Amazing Chase he had only one flat and was happy as he was using a prototype for a new specialized tyre. Maybe new Tubeless wheels for a Tubeless tyre?

zik

by zik

gSporco wrote:
zik wrote:

And for the hooks lol
Really light wheels, In your experience, do you think these wheels are stiff? How they behave when sprinting or going hard uphill? Do they flex then?

gSporco

by gSporco

zik wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 2:14 pm
gSporco wrote:
zik wrote:

And for the hooks lol
Really light wheels, In your experience, do you think these wheels are stiff? How they behave when sprinting or going hard uphill? Do they flex then?
Sorry @Zik I dont know how they ride and probably never will. I bought the bike as a doner parts bike and selling these Roval wheels. I already have a set of 303 Firecrest, so these are redundant for me.
@gSporco - Instagram
Specialized Aethos
State All Road 6061
Retired Cervelo Aspero

sheldonsmith

by sheldonsmith

macwatt wrote:
Fri Sep 10, 2021 4:21 pm
Could Roval CLX 50's be effected with the DT Swiss Engagement issues?
I checked with DT SWiss and the CLX 50's are not affected by the freewheel engagement issue....

sheldonsmith

by sheldonsmith

sheldonsmith wrote:
Tue Sep 07, 2021 3:48 am
Gerard wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 2:23 am
<snip>
Interestingly, my front hub had a separate issue where the wheel was not turning smoothly, due to the bearings being tight. This is something I found being reported also in Ronald Kuba's video at 07.15:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ju34mmAYxU&t=548s

In the photo album it shows both wheels being spun by hand. The front hub doesn't do many RPMs despite being given a strong push, and it feels very restricted. The rear hub spins more freely, but is notchy, and when horizontal pressure is exerted on the axle, it slows the wheel down and feels notchier. There is also too much play in the engagement for a 36T ratchet (not shown in video, but observed by the LBS)<snip>
I had a similar issue with my CLX 50's that came stock on my SWorks SL6. The front hub became real tight. Off to Specialized during the warranty period and they replaced the bearings, but I see some months later that the issue is happening again (although not as bad).

Thanks for posting your experience. I have a feeling that I have a bad rear wheel...

-Sheldon
Just to follow-up, I contacted DT Swiss and they indicated that my CLX 50 wheel set is not affected with the freewheel cassette engagement issue.

K4m1k4z3

by K4m1k4z3

What is the outer width of the Alpinist rim? I could only find reliable answers for the inner width (21 mm) and height (33 mm). Some sources state 35 mm (same as the front Rapide rim) but that just seems wrong.
'24 S-Works Tarmac SL8 RTP - soon™
'22 Tarmac SL7 Expert | Ultegra R8100 | Alpinist CL / Custom Rapide CLX 2x60
'19 Diverge E5 Comp
'18 Epic HT Comp Carbon WMN
'18 TCR Adv Pro 1 Disc

gSporco

by gSporco

K4m1k4z3 wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:01 pm
What is the outer width of the Alpinist rim? I could only find reliable answers for the inner width (21 mm) and height (33 mm). Some sources state 35 mm (same as the front Rapide rim) but that just seems wrong.
Its definitely not 35mm. Ill measure mine.. but it looks closer to 28-29mm
@gSporco - Instagram
Specialized Aethos
State All Road 6061
Retired Cervelo Aspero

pmprego

by pmprego

gSporco wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:12 pm
K4m1k4z3 wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:01 pm
Its definitely not 35mm. Ill measure mine.. but it looks closer to 28-29mm
26.5mm

gSporco

by gSporco

Yep I get a bit over 25mm at the outside of the bead and 26mm at its fattest part. Definitely now aero optimization here, unless you run something under 25mm and even then these wheels arento shallow to do much
@gSporco - Instagram
Specialized Aethos
State All Road 6061
Retired Cervelo Aspero

pmprego

by pmprego

gSporco wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:15 pm
Yep I get a bit over 25mm at the outside of the bead and 26mm at its fattest part. Definitely now aero optimization here, unless you run something under 25mm and even then these wheels arento shallow to do much
They are focused on being lightweight. Nonetheless, in that regard, i think bontrager did a better job with their 37mm deep wheel. A few grams heavier but tubeless compatible and 28mm wide which makes it okay with a 25-26mm tire. I think 28mm is a very good compromise.

Ritsuke

by Ritsuke

Anyone here combined the Roval CLX Rapide wheels with the Enve tubeless tires? I'd like to go for that combo.
Road // 2023 S-Works Tarmac SL8 | Shimano Dura-Ace Di2 | Roval Rapide CLX
Gravel // 2023 Specialized Crux Pro | SRAM Force AXS | Roval Terra CL
Retired // 2022 S-Works Shiv TT // 2021 S-Works Tarmac SL7 // 2019 Specialized Allez Sprint Red Hook

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com