Roval 2020/2021 Road Wheelsets

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
Shrike

by Shrike

Thanks guys, what about speed wise, notice any difference on the 28mms compared to 25?

These are supposed to be my fastest setup but rear isn’t supposed to make too much difference aero wise with a tyre building over rim they say.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

andreas wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 11:30 pm
Disliked the Corsa Control G2 TLR 25mm, felt harsh and grip wasn't on par with GP5000TL. Also hell to mount. Ended up tossing them after a few hundred km.
Absolute tripe (but you're entitled to your opinon).

The TLR Corsa is without question the best grip tyre on the market.

Assume you never ride in the wet, since GP5KTL are deadly in the wet.
SL8 S-Works Project Black - 6.29kg
IG: RhinosWorkshop

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

Shrike wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 5:55 am
Thanks guys, what about speed wise, notice any difference on the 28mms compared to 25?

These are supposed to be my fastest setup but rear isn’t supposed to make too much difference aero wise with a tyre building over rim they say.
If conditions are decent, always run the Speeds, they're like having a motor in your bike.

I'd run 25/25 for summer, in Speeds or G2 Corsa.

Shrike

by Shrike

ryanw wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 11:28 am
Shrike wrote:

If conditions are decent, always run the Speeds, they're like having a motor in your bike.

How many miles you get out of the Speeds? Thinking to try them if I could get a summer out of them. G2 Corsas 25mm are excellent but ordered a 28mm just now for the rear anyway, some of the best areas around my parts have really mixed roads so might just have to take a small speed hit for comfort on the longer efforts.

WattagePeaShooter

by WattagePeaShooter

andreas wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 11:30 pm
Disliked the Corsa Control G2 TLR 25mm, felt harsh and grip wasn't on par with GP5000TL. Also hell to mount. Ended up tossing them after a few hundred km.
Admittedly I'm running 28mm, but my experience is the total opposite. Corsas could be mounted by hand (which counts as easy for me) and they feel subtle and grippy, whereas on Contis I always feel somewhat disconnected from the road.
2012 Focus Izalco Pro 3
2017 Bombtrack Hook EXT Steel
2021 Tarmac SL7 Pro

andreas

by andreas

Yeah, dont know what to tell you except my experience. Was disappointed since they were praised and quite expensive (had to pay import taxes and handling fee on top).

On a side note GP5000TL on Roval CLX50 is the easiest tubeless installation I've ever had. I know that some people got put off by their comparatively low TPI, but in real world conditions they feel great to me.

And yes, I don't go out road biking when it rains, prefer gravel riding in those conditions.

Nickldn

by Nickldn

ryanw wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 11:28 am
Shrike wrote:

I much prefer the feel of cotton Corsas to nylon carcass tyres (on WTOs not Rovals, but I genuinely don't think it matters).

Riding Vittoria Rubino Pro clinchers right now and they are not good. Harsh and uncomfortable. I will get Corsa G2.0 TLRs next. Corsa Speeds won't be good enough for commuting, they are pretty thin.

Too many cyclists spend time hate the comfort of their frame/bars/seat and run low tyre pressures, all in the search of comfort. Cotton tyres could solve a lot of comfort problems.
Giant Propel Advanced SL Red Etap 11s Easton EC90 wheels CeramicSpeed BB Zipp SL70 bars 6.5kg

Vitus ZX1 CRS Campy Chorus 12s Bora WTO 45 disk brake wheels Zipp SL70 bars 7.5kg

SL8 build with Craft CS5060 Wheels in progress

Ride4Life

by Ride4Life

Any news on the tubeless version of these?

I remember it be rumored we would get an official launch sometime this year.

andreas

by andreas

Nothing more than one guy in this thread fairly recently claiming Spesh is "working on it" (which is not really surprising given they always work on the next product and every competitor is offering TL), and the mistakenly published and immediately redacted CL50 tubeless version on their web pages back in January.

refthimos

by refthimos

Got the "back in stock" notification a few hours ago and went ahead and ordered the Rapides. Has anyone run them with the new Veloflex Record clinchers, which are only available in 23c size? I know the Rapides are optimized for a 26-28c tire, and that is what I would normally run with them, but if looking for the fastest rolling tire for a special event, the new Record seems to fit the bill (the smooth version, not the latest pebbled version).
EVO1 | 5.37kg
EVO3 (sold) | 6.51kg
EVO4 | build thread coming soon
S5 Disc
SystemSix (sold) | 8.01kg
P5 Disc | heavy but fast

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

I wouldn't risk it.
Stick a 25c Speed on, you'll make it further than 100 metres too...

BianchiDave

by BianchiDave

Not wishing to cross contaminate threads, but has anyone experienced the ratchet issue as per the DT Swiss EXP thread with their Roval CLX Rapides? I'm considering a set but would hold off, unless the vendor can confirm they have an unaffected batch.
Cheers

BadBoyR

by BadBoyR

BianchiDave wrote:Not wishing to cross contaminate threads, but has anyone experienced the ratchet issue as per the DT Swiss EXP thread with their Roval CLX Rapides? I'm considering a set but would hold off, unless the vendor can confirm they have an unaffected batch.
Cheers
Yes, a few have experienced the issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shrike

by Shrike

Got 80 miles in with the 28mm Corsa G2 on the rear Rapide CLX. Says 70PSI minimum.

If I've learned anything lately it's that Vittoria's clincher guidelines are absolute sh*t and best suited to the track.

Just going by feel now, but definitely running the rear under 70. Was bumpy as hell, would be stupid to ride that on mixed roads.

Doesn't bulge out much more than the 25mm on the rear though! Happy with that.

(I'm 79kg at the moment with a good 4 to 5kg to lose this summer FWIW).

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

I was running 75/70psi on my 28s at 85kg. Perfect at that weight.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com