Roval 2020/2021 Road Wheelsets

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
zik

by zik

Yes because I don't uderstand, Specialized states that wheels are hookless and are for clincher only, you told me that for hookless is only tubeless tire, so who have right? I just get also confirmation from Grant (GCPerformance on Youtube) that they are hookless and for clincher.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

pmprego

by pmprego

zik wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 1:24 pm
Yes because I don't uderstand, Specialized states that wheels are hookless and are for clincher only, you told me that for hookless is only tubeless tire, so who have right? I just get also confirmation from Grant (GCPerformance on Youtube) that they are hookless and for clincher.
Do you have a written reply from roval saying "these are hookless"? If you, please can you post it here?

gSporco

by gSporco

I will remove my tires from my "Current, as in New" Roval Alpinist CL wheelset with DT350 and confirm WTF is going on as I am confused with all this misinformation among all the sites they are described on.
@gSporco - Instagram
Specialized Aethos
State All Road 6061
Retired Cervelo Aspero

zik

by zik

pmprego wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 1:38 pm
zik wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 1:24 pm
Do you have a written reply from roval saying "these are hookless"? If you, please can you post it here?
No, I had a phone conversation with a representative from specialized.

gSporco

by gSporco

Im still wating for my wheels to arrive, should be here today by 7p EST..

But looking more at Rovals site.. the entire Terra line is Hooked... so why would they make the Alpinist line the "only" one without hooks? I am still in the camp that every Roval wheel has hooks, regardless on what the pictures show.. (I will have eyes on this today to confirm)

Direct from all the Terra wheels description:

"We're hooked
Because versatility is king for all-road performance, we engineered the 25mm internal-width CLX rims to handle tires ranging from 28c to 47c wide, with up to 90 PSI on the 28c rubber. The ability to run a wide range of tire widths as well as a broad swath of pressures allows unparalleled versatility. To ensure both high and low pressure performance, we relied on hook-bead rims."
@gSporco - Instagram
Specialized Aethos
State All Road 6061
Retired Cervelo Aspero

pmprego

by pmprego

"Those Roval wheels are clincher, disc, and tubed tire only. I hope that answers your question!"

Reply from roval themselves. Can we end this discussion? It's only propagating wrong and somehow dangerous information.

gSporco

by gSporco

pmprego wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:58 pm
"Those Roval wheels are clincher, disc, and tubed tire only. I hope that answers your question!"

Reply from roval themselves. Can we end this discussion? It's only propagating wrong and somehow dangerous information.
Defining what you mean by "those" would help :)
@gSporco - Instagram
Specialized Aethos
State All Road 6061
Retired Cervelo Aspero

pmprego

by pmprego

gSporco wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:20 pm
pmprego wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:58 pm

Defining what you mean by "those" would help :)
I've sent them an email today after all that talk about being hookless. I've asked avout the alpinist cl and if they were hookless and thus tubeless.

mhw23

by mhw23

So it looks like they are hookless but not tubeless compatible. They are hookless designed to work with clincher tires and tubes. Do we have consensus?

ckspark

by ckspark

macwatt wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 11:48 am
ckspark wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:30 am
macwatt wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:21 am
ckspark wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:55 am
Does anyone know the recommended or their own spoke tensions for the new Rapide CLX front and rear?

Sorry took me a while to find it

A498D4BF-3D3F-49FC-AC6D-B50BA7DFF317.jpeg
Many thanks, do you have the same for the rear wheel at all?
Oops 😬

5E227AFE-103A-4557-A086-C934D159D6BF.jpeg
Many thanks again.

Nickldn

by Nickldn

mhw23 wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:04 pm
So it looks like they are hookless but not tubeless compatible. They are hookless designed to work with clincher tires and tubes. Do we have consensus?
I agree, the article linked below is very clear this is the case, it even has a clear photo of the rim. Hookless and not tubless compatible.

https://bikerumor.com/2020/08/24/roval- ... ced-build/

I haven't seen a tyre compatibility list, so I assume all/most clinchers work.
Giant Propel Advanced SL Red Etap 11s Easton EC90 wheels CeramicSpeed BB Zipp SL70 bars 6.5kg

Vitus ZX1 CRS Campy Chorus 12s Bora WTO 45 disk brake wheels Zipp SL70 bars 7.5kg

SL8 build with Craft CS5060 Wheels in progress

pmprego

by pmprego

Did i enter another dimension? Am I in the truman show? There is no such thing as hookless for clincher.

They are simply NOT hookless. They are simply not. They are regular rims WITH hooks for tube only. I don't know what is now the confusion.

From cyclingtips: "While the internal shape features the same hooked 21 mm measurements"

So now it's 2 (roval and cyclingtips) to 1 (bikerumor) in favor of hooked. Can we stop with the nonsense??

gSporco

by gSporco

And I can confirm on my new Roval Alpinist CL with dt350 that the rims "have hooks"

Ill echo that, the Alpinist "Have Hooks".
@gSporco - Instagram
Specialized Aethos
State All Road 6061
Retired Cervelo Aspero

zik

by zik

Thanks gSporco, could you put the wheels on scale? I know how much they weight from internet reviews, but I'd like to hear it from user.

chrisw91

by chrisw91

mhw23 wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:04 pm
Simply put, no. A clincher (non-tubeless) tyre cannot be used with a hookless rim according to ETRTO. This is because the clincher tyre standards do not provide sufficiently tight tolerances to 100% ensure safe tyre bead retention.

A hookless rim can still be run with a tubed setup, however the tyre itself must be a tubeless tyre for that tolerance point above.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com