Roval 2020/2021 Road Wheelsets

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
Noctiluxx

by Noctiluxx

I'm considering selling my Bontrager Aelous 37 RSL for the Raptide CLX for my Cervelo R5. Based on what I'm reading the Raptide even though deep are excellent in cross winds. The weight is fairly close with the my RSL's coming in at 1320 grams. The Raptide should be faster all around wheel, but what about climbing? Also from what I've been reading tubeless tires seems to work well. Any issues?
Bianchi Oltre XR4, De Rosa SK Pininfarina, Trek Madone SLR, Giant TCR Advanced SL, Cervelo R5 Disk, Giant Revolt

pmprego

by pmprego

Noctiluxx wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 2:51 pm
I'm considering selling my Bontrager Aelous 37 RSL for the Raptide CLX for my Cervelo R5. Based on what I'm reading the Raptide even though deep are excellent in cross winds. The weight is fairly close with the my RSL's coming in at 1320 grams. The Raptide should be faster all around wheel, but what about climbing? Also from what I've been reading tubeless tires seems to work well. Any issues?
The aelous at 37mm will be better at crosswinds when compared to the rapide. The rapide might be amazing compared with other 50mm deep wheels but are still a 50mm deep wheel.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ckspark

by ckspark

Hi does anyone know if the Alpinist CLX with white graphics are stickers that can be removed? If so is there black painted graphics underneath like the older CLX 50/64 team wheels?

tjoerd

by tjoerd

Hi guys,
I'm looking at a lightly set of used Roval CL50's for around the same price of Farsports Gravel 50mm with DT Swiss 240 hubs.
Anybody, by chance, able to compare these or similar Farsports or LB rims in terms of performance/comfort/(crosswind) stability etc?

Farsports are about 100-150grams lighter, while Roval are from a known brand. Would like to hear your thoughts and suggestions about this!
Cheers

Archie100

by Archie100

Hi, just wondering if anyone has recommendation on what psi to use with 28mm Turbo Cottons and latex tubes on a set of Roval Rapides. I’m 71kg and was thinking of 80psi front and back but I was afraid that might be too low.

spud

by spud

^ that seems like a good starting point at your weight, though using same size tires front and rear, I usually opt for 5 psi higher in the rear. If using a bigger tire in the rear, then same pressure.

fljones3

by fljones3

Archie100 wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 4:59 pm
Hi, just wondering if anyone has recommendation on what psi to use with 28mm Turbo Cottons and latex tubes on a set of Roval Rapides. I’m 71kg and was thinking of 80psi front and back but I was afraid that might be too low.
I run in the 70's on mine. I am at 78kg. Mine are on CL50 wheelset.
My local Speccialized bike shop recommended starting in the 70's for Turbo Cottons. I have had no issues at those pressures.

Archie100

by Archie100

Thanks a lot for replies, I'll go with 75psi front and 80psi rear to start with and tweak from there.

Shrike

by Shrike

Any rumours I might have missed lately on anything new from Roval? Love my Rapide CLXs but might give them to the Mrs for a build which would put me back in the market for something. Not sure what though. Would want something even faster if possible, but I love the stability too much. Rare a product lives up to its hype, though maybe Zipp have improved their game?

jadedaid

by jadedaid

I think Ryan has had good things to say about some of the new Zipps and the deeper DT Swiss wheels.

I'm still incredibly impressed by the CLX wheels a year later. Interestingly, not as impressed by the CLs which came on another bike of mine, wonder if the weight makes that big a difference.

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

Roval Rapide CLX still one of the best wheels you can buy, period.

Zipp 454 also great, but you feel the weight in the rim compared to the Rovals, they're just not as responsive.

DT Swiss ARC series (20mm ID) are amazing. The 1100 62s are up there with the Rapdies. My 80mm wheels handle wind like 50mm.
SL8 S-Works Project Black - 6.29kg
IG: RhinosWorkshop

Shrike

by Shrike

Were Tour using the 2018 404 Firecrests for a control wheel? Had a look at a thread during the week and it looked like they had the 404s on the SL7 and it tested a watt faster than the stock wheelset, not that I'd care much about a watt.

Were the other wheels the Rapide CLXs though?

frostorama

by frostorama

fljones3 wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 6:47 pm
Archie100 wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 4:59 pm
I run in the 70's on mine. I am at 78kg. Mine are on CL50 wheelset.
My local Speccialized bike shop recommended starting in the 70's for Turbo Cottons. I have had no issues at those pressures.
I'm also 78kg and run my Alpinist CLX at 65psi front and 70psi rear with 26mm Turbo Cottons and latex tubes. No issues with this setup and 5000 km's ridden.

smoothly

by smoothly

Anyone have an idea which tires (black) the entire quickstep team used in the Algarve.
They weren't the usual turbo cottons.

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

New S-Works tubeless tyre to go with their new (old) tubeless Roval Rapide CLX wheels.
SL8 S-Works Project Black - 6.29kg
IG: RhinosWorkshop

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com