Roval 2020/2021 Road Wheelsets

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
andreas

by andreas

BianchiDave wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 7:39 am
Not wishing to cross contaminate threads, but has anyone experienced the ratchet issue as per the DT Swiss EXP thread with their Roval CLX Rapides? I'm considering a set but would hold off, unless the vendor can confirm they have an unaffected batch.
Cheers
I got my local shop to check the serial number, they confirmed they were affected, pulled them from their web shop and are currently waiting for replacement parts from DT Swiss.

I'm mulling over whether I should just purchase some "cheap" Zipp 303s as a "temporary" wheelset until Roval figures out how to officially support tubeless again, not really tempting to fork out the big bucks for the current gen Roval Rapide CLX.
The Zipps require uncomfortably comfortable pressures though, max 5 bar, and have kinda under dimensioned hubs.

BianchiDave

by BianchiDave

andreas wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 1:37 pm
BianchiDave wrote:
Not wishing to cross contaminate threads, but has anyone experienced the ratchet issue as per the DT Swiss EXP thread with their Roval CLX Rapides? I'm considering a set but would hold off, unless the vendor can confirm they have an unaffected batch.
Cheers
I got my local shop to check the serial number, they confirmed they were affected, pulled them from their web shop and are currently waiting for replacement parts from DT Swiss.

I'm mulling over whether I should just purchase some "cheap" Zipp 303s as a "temporary" wheelset until Roval figures out how to officially support tubeless again, not really tempting to fork out the big bucks for the current gen Roval Rapide CLX.
The Zipps require uncomfortably comfortable pressures though, max 5 bar, and have kinda under dimensioned hubs.
The shop was able to give me a number off the wheels they had in stock and I filled in a DT service request as others have done. They've confirmed they'll send me out a ratchet, spring and freehub, to fit prior to the wheels being used so thats good. I'm still not 100% though, its a lot of coin to spend should there be issues further down the line, although I suspect Roval/DT Swiss would be understanding with any future warranty issues (but I think the lifetime waranty only applies to US). I can kind of get my head around spending more on disc brake wheels, as every time I brake on my rim brake Foil I wince as the carbon rim gets scrubbed just that little bit more!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

andreas

by andreas

BianchiDave wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 3:09 pm
andreas wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 1:37 pm
BianchiDave wrote:
Cheers

The shop was able to give me a number off the wheels they had in stock and I filled in a DT service request as others have done. They've confirmed they'll send me out a ratchet, spring and freehub, to fit prior to the wheels being used so thats good. I'm still not 100% though, its a lot of coin to spend should there be issues further down the line, although I suspect Roval/DT Swiss would be understanding with any future warranty issues (but I think the lifetime waranty only applies to US). I can kind of get my head around spending more on disc brake wheels, as every time I brake on my rim brake Foil I wince as the carbon rim gets scrubbed just that little bit more!
What worries me a bit is that DT swiss if replacing fewer parts if "the customer hasn't had a problem" - which is a bit vague. But I guess for a brand new wheel it doesn't matter, since nothing has had a chance to wear yet.
“We replace all possible wear parts of the freewheel system as a precautionary measure, even if the wheel/hub is almost as good as new. In our service centers, we have already stocked up accordingly, so that we can meet usual service times of 2-5 working days even within the starting season. If the customer has not had a problem with the freewheel system, which will be the majority, we will replace the moving ratchet, freewheel body, spring, and grease. If the customer has already experienced a restricted engagement with his hub, we will also replace the ratchet thread ring [which resides inside the hub shell – ed.] as well as the bearing.”
https://cyclingtips.com/2021/05/dt-swis ... -bulletin/

jadedaid

by jadedaid

I've got about 2k on my wheels (and these were an older batch based on the production date), so will see if I get any issues. But I would expect Roval to take care of it should any issue arise - the wheels are incredible, the ratchet issue wouldn't be something to hold me back. They'll figure it out.

macwatt

by macwatt

Any light riders using Rapide CLX 50's? I currently have Mavic Cosmic Pro Disc wheels with a 45mm depth due to the constant crosswinds where I live I had never considered anything with a deeper rim. I weigh 56kg and with my current wheels had a few twitchy moments therefore I was going down the route of the Alpinist CLX for the safer option but at the same time don't won't to loose out on flat sections. I have been unable to find a direct comparison of both the Rapide & Alpinist CLX over a route to compare how much faster the Rapide's would be. Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated.

andreas

by andreas

I wouldnt buy the "old" Rapide CLX 50/64 if crosswind stability is your primary concern.

macwatt

by macwatt

Thanks for the reply it would be the 2021 version I have read they are improved for crosswinds which could make them more stable that my current Mavic's 🤷‍♂️

pmprego

by pmprego

macwatt wrote:
Sun May 16, 2021 1:31 pm
Thanks for the reply it would be the 2021 version I have read they are improved for crosswinds which could make them more stable that my current Mavic's 🤷‍♂️
You said rapide 50 clx. I think that created a confusion. There are the previous Gen roval 50 clx/cl or 64clx.

For the new Gen there are not the "50"in the name. They have the alpinist and the rapide.

macwatt

by macwatt

Ah yes sorry my mistake

andreas

by andreas

Also, the new Rapide CL/CLX are 51/60. And the CL version is not available for aftermarket purchase, only sold with complete bikes.
They get raving reviews for crosswind stability, as opposed to the CL/CLX 50/64.

jadedaid

by jadedaid

macwatt wrote:
Sun May 16, 2021 1:31 pm
I went from a set of Chinese 45mm wheels to the Rapides and the difference is immense. Side wind is a non-issue now, the best way for me to describe the difference is that it feels very predictable at all times even in gusty conditions. Truly remarkable.

On my old wheels every now and then you'd feel a gust and be thrown to the side before knowing what happened.

macwatt

by macwatt

Thanks for all your advice I have changed order to Rapide CLX hopefully will not be blown 💨 off the road 🤞

scoob

by scoob

The state of cycle paths in Scotland is one reason (the main route north means use if the old A9 as the 'cycle route' and it's just so stony.
That and glass recycling lorries I think. So much glass is dropped every two weeks and ground up. Doesn't affect our car tyres so much but ears at thin bike tyres.
tommyboyo wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:12 pm
How to people get so many punctures?

I do 8000+ miles a year on gp4000 and now gp5000 clinchers (4-seasons in the winter rain also) and have had 5-7 punctures in the last 5 years.

They are annoying when they do occur, but so rare that I don't even think about it!!

South of England on crap ropads, but maybe I am just very lucky.

All I can think, is that I refuse to ride in the gutter?

scoob

by scoob

Duplicate post

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jamin

by jamin

Any noise if/when Rapide CLs will be available, or the CLX's updated to be tubeless? I've gone back to using clinchers so not overly concerned about tubeless, I just dont want to shell out for a set right now incase they release something new in the coming months.

Also wondering about the Shimano 12 speed, will they be keeping the same HG freehub?