Roval 2020/2021 Road Wheelsets

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
macwatt

by macwatt

Hi

This is an email I received from Roval on the selection of tyre width for Alpinist or CLX Wheels

Our Turbo Cotton in a 700x26 has been shown to be the fastest tire combination across a variety of surfaces. Additionally, the use of latex tubes can also decrease rolling resistance. You can use up to a 28mm tire with the Rapide CLX and benefit aerodynamically, and this may offer better ride quality on rougher roads, but terrain, ride surface and a number of other factors can greatly effect "fastest tire", which is why you see the pro peloton use different tire choices in TTs, road races, and classics.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

FlatlandClimber

by FlatlandClimber

mhw23 wrote:
Sun Jun 27, 2021 5:52 am
What is the optimal tire width for the Alpinist CLX wheels?
The Alpinist are hardly aero at all, so it just depends on what you want.
Narrower on the front is more aero, and wider on the rear rolls faster at hardly any rolling resistance penalty.
Cervelo P5 Disc (2021) 9.1kg
Factor Ostro Gravel (2023) 8.0kg
S-Works SL8 (2023) 6.3kg

*weights are race ready, size 58/L.
Sold: Venge, S5 Disc, Roubaix Team, Open WI.DE, Émonda, Shiv TT, Crux, Aethos, SL7

LBoogie28

by LBoogie28

Has anyone run a pair of conti 5k in size 28 on the rapides? Moving over from a pair of clx 50's, where I have primarily run turbo cottons (in 26). Was thinking my first tires should be the same as I have always used, as a way to compare the wheelsets, but that front width in the rapides has me thinking bigger tire.

mhw23

by mhw23

FlatlandClimber wrote:
mhw23 wrote:
Sun Jun 27, 2021 5:52 am
What is the optimal tire width for the Alpinist CLX wheels?
The Alpinist are hardly aero at all, so it just depends on what you want.
Narrower on the front is more aero, and wider on the rear rolls faster at hardly any rolling resistance penalty.
Trying to maximize speed so that’s why I’m asking. Turbo Cottons have a bad rep for low puncture resistance.

FlatlandClimber

by FlatlandClimber

However they are about the fastest road tires there are (baring TT tires). I run them on my Aero bike and TT Bike.
The best alround tire for me is GP5000C.
I would run 28s on the Alpinist and even consider 30s on the rear.
I run 28c front and 30c rear on my Bontrager RSL 37 for mountain races. Great comfort, fast enough, and traction. The wider tires also make it easier to ride up very steep climbs standing, where smaller tires might start slipping when road isn't perfect.
S-Works SL8 (2023) 6.3kg

Sold: Venge, S5 Disc, Roubaix Team, Open WI.DE, Émonda, Shiv TT, Crux, Aethos, SL7

mhw23

by mhw23

FlatlandClimber wrote:However they are about the fastest road tires there are (baring TT tires). I run them on my Aero bike and TT Bike.
The best alround tire for me is GP5000C.
I would run 28s on the Alpinist and even consider 30s on the rear.
I run 28c front and 30c rear on my Bontrager RSL 37 for mountain races. Great comfort, fast enough, and traction. The wider tires also make it easier to ride up very steep climbs standing, where smaller tires might start slipping when road isn't perfect.
Got it. I’m running the GP5000 in 28mm on the Alpinist CLX right now. Tan sidewall tires are tempting me and I wish they were available in 28mm for the GP5000. I run the same tires on my Roubaix with the CL50 wheelset and they are working out well.

BianchiDave

by BianchiDave

LBoogie28 wrote:
Sun Jun 27, 2021 2:25 pm
Has anyone run a pair of conti 5k in size 28 on the rapides? Moving over from a pair of clx 50's, where I have primarily run turbo cottons (in 26). Was thinking my first tires should be the same as I have always used, as a way to compare the wheelsets, but that front width in the rapides has me thinking bigger tire.
I'm running GP5000s 28s front and rear. Tbh I think the front is so wide you need a 28 to prevent rim damage. I fitted a 25 initially and there was way too much rim poking out for my liking - so much so a rapid deflation could have caused the rim to to contact the road. Whilst still considerably narrower than the rim,the 28 looks more reassuring!

macwatt

by macwatt

I fitted 28mm for the same reason with the outer rim being so wide I cannot see why running 28's would be an Aero disadvantage compared to running a narrower tyre.

pmprego

by pmprego

macwatt wrote:
Mon Jun 28, 2021 8:22 am
I fitted 28mm for the same reason with the outer rim being so wide I cannot see why running 28's would be an Aero disadvantage compared to running a narrower tyre.
A bigger frontal area will never be the same as a smaller frontal area. You might say you get other benefits but that's how it is. It is also why you see Zipp go for a "thinner" 454 or dt swiss also with their aero wheels. They are going for pure, frontal speed. Roval kind of went for the all-rounder type of wheel that is also very deep for all-rounder.

Id still prefer them to go for something like 40/45 deep and tubeless but that's me.

bruno2000

by bruno2000

I have a Vittoria Corsa Control 28 on my Rapide CLX front wheel and the rim is still poking out a bit. How is that?
On the rear I've mounted a Vittoria Corsa Control 25mm which matches the Rapide CLX rear rim nicely. (I had 2 Corsa Control tyres as good as new in my garage so decided to only buy 1 in 28mm)
On my Alpinist CLX wheels I had 2 Turbo Cottons 26mm but I punctured the rear and replaced it by a Schwalbe Pro One TT 25mm which I had left. Although the Schwale only being 25mm it pumps up to the same size as the Turbo Cotton 26mm front.
IMO 25mm is the best match for the Alpinist.

mhw23

by mhw23

bruno2000 wrote:I have a Vittoria Corsa Control 28 on my Rapide CLX front wheel and the rim is still poking out a bit. How is that?
On the rear I've mounted a Vittoria Corsa Control 25mm which matches the Rapide CLX rear rim nicely. (I had 2 Corsa Control tyres as good as new in my garage so decided to only buy 1 in 28mm)
On my Alpinist CLX wheels I had 2 Turbo Cottons 26mm but I punctured the rear and replaced it by a Schwalbe Pro One TT 25mm which I had left. Although the Schwale only being 25mm it pumps up to the same size as the Turbo Cotton 26mm front.
Do you run both wheelsets on the same bike? If you had to get only one which would you prefer?

jadedaid

by jadedaid

Anyone else find that the hubs don't like wet weather much? I had 2 rides in the wet, and got the fading hub sound. Had my wheels regreased, and everything was fine until the next 2 rides in the wet. Now the fading hub sound is back.

Wondering whether it's because of the 'old' ratchet that will need replacing or if it's just a feature of these hubs that they don't hold up to bad weather very well?

bruno2000

by bruno2000

mhw23 wrote:
Sun Jul 04, 2021 3:00 pm
bruno2000 wrote:I have a Vittoria Corsa Control 28 on my Rapide CLX front wheel and the rim is still poking out a bit. How is that?
Do you run both wheelsets on the same bike? If you had to get only one which would you prefer?
If I had to pick one I would pick the Alpinist for my riding.
Offcourse the Rapide will be more aero and they do give you a feeling of speed (great sound) but my rides max avergare speed is allways around 30km/h. (I actually do not need all that fancy stuff but I just like nice things)
So I do not believe the more aero Rapide gives me much 'speed-wise'. They do feel more comfortable than the Alpinist. Probably due to the large tires and the larger rim width.
The Alpinist are much snappier and feel stiffer, probably due to their lower weight.
And although I live is the most (stupid) flat part of Belgium (oh boy I wished I lived in the Alps like mys sister does), I do prefer my bikes to be as light as possible.
(I have a Cannondale Super Six Evo with Shimano Ultegra di2 (Rotor Aldhu+ crank, KMC X11SL chain and Dura-Ace cassette), Vision Metron 6D handelbar, stock sp and SLR Kit Carbonio saddle. With Alpinist CLX wheels (Schwalbe Pro One TT 25mm+tubolito) the bike weights 6.89kg, with Rapide CLX (Vittoria Corsa Control 28-25+tubolito) the bike is 7.15kg.

FlatlandClimber

by FlatlandClimber

I kinda doubt anybody is reliably able to feel a 150g difference, especially when riding on the flat.
Not saying it impossible, just having a hunch this might be a little on the Placebo Side of things :noidea:
but maybe it's just me who doesn't believe in these weight differences making a noticeable difference, especially on the flat.
In a 75kg system for example, that would be 0.2% of the system weight saved...
Even if you bro science things like "rotational weight is at least double" that would still be like saying "my bike feels significantly snappier depending on if I have 600 or 300ml of water in my bottle.

Nevertheless, the Alpinist are likely Great wheels...
The difference in stiffness maybe a thing. I don't know how the Alpinsit feel.

However, regarding "lighter wheels accelerate better": that's only from
Very slow speeds. In an all out sprint at higher speeds (even 30kph to 40kph), the reduced Aero-drag will far outweigh the weight advantage.

All that would lead me to the conclusion of taking the amazing Rapide. They are amazingly fast and stable!
S-Works SL8 (2023) 6.3kg

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

Deeper wheels / shorter spokes = stiffer at point of load.

Aplinists will not be stiffer at all unless spoke tension has been cranked right up.
SL8 S-Works Project Black - 6.29kg
IG: RhinosWorkshop

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com