Roval 2020/2021 Road Wheelsets

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
pmprego

by pmprego

Actually, I'd like for them to release a "wheel to rulle them all". Rapide format but at around 42-45mm deep. But tubeless is a requirement for me. Not officially tubeless, no go.

Hexsense

by Hexsense

When climbing wheel (Roval Alpiniste) is 33mm deep,
50 is really now an all round balance between weight, aero and crosswind handling.
I think the main push of this are wide rim profiles that are no longer overly susceptible to cross wind, and disc brake allowing deep rims to lose some weight.

Wheel depth that is considered full on aero focus are now 65mm to full disc, like AEOX® TITAN 100mm front wheels.
The current Rapide CLX's depth already deserve 'wheel to rulle them all' status.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

pmprego

by pmprego

Hexsense wrote:
Fri May 21, 2021 7:23 pm
When climbing wheel (Roval Alpiniste) is 33mm deep,
50 is really now an all round balance between weight, aero and crosswind handling.
I think the main push of this are wide rim profiles that are no longer overly susceptible to cross wind, and disc brake allowing deep rims to lose some weight.

Wheel depth that is considered full on aero focus are now 65mm to full disc, like AEOX® TITAN 100mm front wheels.
The current Rapide CLX's depth already deserve 'wheel to rulle them all' status.
I get what you saying and I get that maybe something in between the alpinist and rapide does not have an enough big market. Still... A 45mm deep wheel would be lighter than the rapide and more aero that the alpinist and vice versa of course.

Besides it could be a nice way to put a tubeless wheel in the market without pissing off the people who bought either the alpinist or the rapide. They could maintain the marketing slogan that these two are still entirely focused on performance while a 45mm tubeless wheel would be kind of the all day type of wheel.

Kurbelix

by Kurbelix

On the Roval site, this can be read:

Rapide CLX
Complete Speed
This is an archived product and is no longer for sale.

Does anyone have further information on this?
Are they being replaced- by what?

BianchiDave

by BianchiDave

I know a few folk are running 25mm tyres on the Rapide CLX front. I've just fitted a GP5000 25mm standard clincher on the front and a bit concerned how much the rim protrudes and looks as if it could easily be damaged, especially if there was a rapid deflation of the tyre.
Anyone running a 5000 25mm clincher on the front and can offer reassurance?! I run a 25mm front on my rim brake cl50s and there is protrusion, but nothing like as much.
I'll be running a 28 on the rear for extra comfort and have a spare 28 so thinking it may be safer just to fit it.
Cheers

refthimos

by refthimos

Kurbelix wrote:
Tue May 25, 2021 12:52 pm

Rapide CLX
Complete Speed

That's certainly interesting. I was looking to buy these last fall, and they were out of stock. I set the stock alert and got an email on May 12 that they were back in stock. So they were not availalable to order (from Specialized at least) for over 6 months. I ordered a couple hours after getting the stock alert and my Rapides arrived a few days later. And now they're discontinued? Hmm... These wheels have been shrouded in mystery since their release (the tubeless but not tubeless affair), and now this? Of course it could be as simple as the fact that the wheels I received last week have the DT Swiss EXP freehub - maybe Specialized has halted shipping until they can swap out freehubs... or maybe the rumored "official tubeless" version is coming... wonder what it is
EVO1 | 5.37kg
EVO3 (sold) | 6.51kg
EVO4 | build thread coming soon
S5 Disc
SystemSix (sold) | 8.01kg
P5 Disc | heavy but fast

pmprego

by pmprego

refthimos wrote:
Tue May 25, 2021 7:15 pm
Kurbelix wrote:

Rapide CLX
Complete Speed

That's certainly interesting. I was looking to buy these last fall, and they were out of stock. I set the stock alert and got an email on May 12 that they were back in stock. So they were not availalable to order (from Specialized at least) for over 6 months. I ordered a couple hours after getting the stock alert and my Rapides arrived a few days later. And now they're discontinued? Hmm... These wheels have been shrouded in mystery since their release (the tubeless but not tubeless affair), and now this? Of course it could be as simple as the fact that the wheels I received last week have the DT Swiss EXP freehub - maybe Specialized has halted shipping until they can swap out freehubs... or maybe the rumored "official tubeless" version is coming... wonder what it is
They listened to me and they are sending a 45mm deep rapide version :lol: :lol:

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

not being tubeless "approved" this was pretty much a given to be replaced.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

Kurbelix

by Kurbelix

refthimos wrote:
Tue May 25, 2021 7:15 pm
[Of course it could be as simple as the fact that the wheels I received last week have the DT Swiss EXP freehub - maybe Specialized has halted shipping until they can swap out freehubs... ]
I doubt that it is because of the hubs. Just got a different wheel set built, and my wheel builder told me that problem is solved. Acc. to him it was only a small number and could be easily fixed by changing the ratchet ring. Also imho that would not warrant a product to be "archived and no longer sold"...

So something is up.... wonder what...

Kurbelix

by Kurbelix

spdntrxi wrote:
Tue May 25, 2021 9:17 pm
not being tubeless "approved" this was pretty much a given to be replaced.
by what pray tell ;-)

moyboy

by moyboy

I didn't see it on the site, did they remove that comment?
Kurbelix wrote:

Rapide CLX
Complete Speed

pmprego

by pmprego

moyboy wrote:
Thu May 27, 2021 12:45 pm
I didn't see it on the site, did they remove that comment?
Kurbelix wrote:

Rapide CLX
Complete Speed

Yap, it's back to "Configure". It was not when the post was made. I went to check :P

Kurbelix

by Kurbelix

I reached out to Roval via email, and got the following response:

"thank you for reaching out!

Good news! The error you encountered was a glitch in the e-commerce site, and we were made aware of the issue. I just double checked and it looks like it has been corrected. You can go ahead and place your order!

Ride On!"

pmprego

by pmprego

Kurbelix wrote:
Thu May 27, 2021 2:01 pm
I reached out to Roval via email, and got the following response:

"thank you for reaching out!

Good news! The error you encountered was a glitch in the e-commerce site, and we were made aware of the issue. I just double checked and it looks like it has been corrected. You can go ahead and place your order!

Ride On!"
But the moniker "Rapide CL Tubeless" remains. When I click though I go back to the wheels section.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

macwatt

by macwatt

Hi anyone using Roval's tyre pressure recommendation if so are they a good guide?