Roval 2020/2021 Road Wheelsets

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
Campervan

by Campervan

refthimos wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 1:07 am
Campervan wrote:
Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:52 pm
Has anyone had any problems running the rapides tubeless at all?
None whatsoever
What tyre including size and pressures are you using?
BMC Granfondo 02 105
Scott Scale 940
Boardman CXR 9.4 cxr CX/gravel mongrel
Btwin 540
Specialized Venge Pro Disc

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

Vittoria Corsa TLR 25c
Vittoria Corsa TLR 28c
Vittoria Corsa Speed 23c
Vittoria Corsa Speed 25c

Veloflex Corsa Race 25c
Veloflex Corsa Evo 25c
Veloflex Corsa Evo 28c

Enve SES 25c
SL8 S-Works Project Black - 6.29kg
IG: RhinosWorkshop

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

refthimos

by refthimos

Campervan wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:17 am
What tyre including size and pressures are you using?
I'm running the Rapides as my wheelset for "go fast" days, so Corsa Speed 25c. At 75kg, I run them at 80psi.

For other, "normal" days, I run CLX50s with GP5000TLs. 28c at 70psi.
EVO1 | 5.37kg
EVO3 (sold) | 6.51kg
EVO4 | build thread coming soon
S5 Disc
SystemSix (sold) | 8.01kg
P5 Disc | heavy but fast

pmprego

by pmprego

Nothing new for 2022?? The all-rounder tubeless??

Roval now has several alpinist (CLX and CL) and terra (clx, cl and c) as the lightweight non-tubeless and tubeless options.

The rapide clx as the aero option non-tubeless and nothing more. Seems a rather unbalanced portfolio.

Ritsuke

by Ritsuke

Ok, this topic convinced me. I'm going tubeless with my next wheel change. Thanks for all the input.
Road // 2023 S-Works Tarmac SL8 | Shimano Dura-Ace Di2 | Roval Rapide CLX
Gravel // 2023 Specialized Crux Pro | SRAM Force AXS | Roval Terra CL
Retired // 2022 S-Works Shiv TT // 2021 S-Works Tarmac SL7 // 2019 Specialized Allez Sprint Red Hook

TaylorB

by TaylorB

Ritsuke wrote:
Tue Aug 17, 2021 7:23 pm
Ok, this topic convinced me. I'm going tubeless with my next wheel change. Thanks for all the input.
Are you going to try and do it with the new wheelset? I need to read more of this specific thread. I have been scared to do so with the super wide front rim!

Ritsuke

by Ritsuke

Yes, I'll be using the S-Works RapidAir tires. I have been using the wheelset with clinchers for the past 5K KM.
Road // 2023 S-Works Tarmac SL8 | Shimano Dura-Ace Di2 | Roval Rapide CLX
Gravel // 2023 Specialized Crux Pro | SRAM Force AXS | Roval Terra CL
Retired // 2022 S-Works Shiv TT // 2021 S-Works Tarmac SL7 // 2019 Specialized Allez Sprint Red Hook

refthimos

by refthimos

TaylorB wrote:
Wed Aug 18, 2021 5:11 am
Ritsuke wrote:
Tue Aug 17, 2021 7:23 pm
Are you going to try and do it with the new wheelset? I need to read more of this specific thread. I have been scared to do so with the super wide front rim!
What is it about the super-wide rim that makes you afraid of going tubeless? Is there something about the dimensions of a wide rim that makes it unsuitable for tubeless?

I ask because tubeless works (for me) exceptionally well on the Rapide CLXs, and I also have many many miles on the Knot 64 wheels that came with my Cannondale SystemSix, which I have also run exclusively tubeless, and I'm not aware of, and have no experience with, problems running these wide wheels tubeless.

If there is a reason to be afraid of running really wide rims like the Rapide CLXs of the Knot 64s, it's that while the rims are purposely designed as much wider than the tire (for aerodynamic performance), this does leave the rim more exposed to impact. If you are the type that regularly rolls through potholes and bad pavement, you have an increased risk of damaging the rim, due to the fact that the rim is less protected by the tire.
EVO1 | 5.37kg
EVO3 (sold) | 6.51kg
EVO4 | build thread coming soon
S5 Disc
SystemSix (sold) | 8.01kg
P5 Disc | heavy but fast

Jwoodward

by Jwoodward

Is anyone running tubeless on the Alpinist CLX? Got mine setup with turbo cottons (26) and tubolito s roads currently

andreas

by andreas

I'm considering purchasing the Roval Rapide CLX second hand in mint condition, 4 months old, for a 25% discount - as opposed to the 5% offered by my LBS.

However, reading the Global/EU warranty policy, I'll be limited to what is in effect only warranty for one more season (november-march is pretty much off-limits for road biking where I live). We do however have national laws that give us 5 years "warranty" towards the store (including for second hand owners), but the exact interpretations regarding what claims will be covered can be subjective/conflicted.

Anyone got experience on whether cracks/chipping "due to" the wide front wheel is covered by the warranty? If not, I don't see much point in spending more money on purchasing it new from a store.

ff119

by ff119

Anyone try both the Roval Alpinist CL and CLX to be able to tell if the higher priced version was worth it?

mhw23

by mhw23

ff119 wrote:Anyone try both the Roval Alpinist CL and CLX to be able to tell if the higher priced version was worth it?
Very marginal difference. Whether it’s worth the price is up to your values and budget.

ff119

by ff119

mhw23 wrote:
Fri Aug 27, 2021 3:26 pm
ff119 wrote:Anyone try both the Roval Alpinist CL and CLX to be able to tell if the higher priced version was worth it?
Very marginal difference. Whether it’s worth the price is up to your values and budget.
From what I'm seeing it doesn't seem to be a lot different for the 700'ish extra but then a few say it's "so much better"

mhw23

by mhw23

Are you a pro climber or racer where marginal gains do make a difference? If not I would say it’s not worth it.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jimja

by jimja

Has anyone directly tested the Rapides versus the new Zipp 454s? Particularly curious about any difference in cross-wind stability more than straight line speed or stiffness.