Roval 2020/2021 Road Wheelsets

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
K4m1k4z3

by K4m1k4z3

cfrankscid wrote:
Mon Apr 25, 2022 3:44 pm
When I try to set-up my Rapide CLXs Tubeless I have air leaking out of the little hole (maybe a drain hole) in the side of the wheel right by where the valve stem hole is. Any idea what the issue is? Thinking maybe they need to be re-taped?
Yes, it's either the tape or the seal at the valve stem. My bet would be on the tape - a scratch, a nick, or it simply isn't wide enough. The air gets underneath it somewhere and then seeks the path of the least resistance which is usually the drainage hole or the valve stem area.
'24 S-Works Tarmac SL8 RTP - soon™
'22 Tarmac SL7 Expert | Ultegra R8100 | Alpinist CL / Custom Rapide CLX 2x60
'19 Diverge E5 Comp
'18 Epic HT Comp Carbon WMN
'18 TCR Adv Pro 1 Disc

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

simonma

by simonma

Is the RapidAir tyre impossible to mount on these wheels for anyone else? I can mount the Turbo Cottons by hand, but have no idea how the RapidAir would ever fit on there.

I've done the usual trick - make sure it's perfectly in the centre channel (that's how I can get the Turbo Cottons on and off without tools). It was a struggle to even get one bead onto the wheel!

pmprego

by pmprego

simonma wrote:
Mon Apr 25, 2022 5:37 pm
Is the RapidAir tyre impossible to mount on these wheels for anyone else? I can mount the Turbo Cottons by hand, but have no idea how the RapidAir would ever fit on there.

I've done the usual trick - make sure it's perfectly in the centre channel (that's how I can get the Turbo Cottons on and off without tools). It was a struggle to even get one bead onto the wheel!
Mounting a fresh new tubeless tire can be a nightmare. At least for me and before buying a set of challenge "scissors" tire mounting tool. Those things are just a life savior.

tommyboyo

by tommyboyo

Seems a good time to pick up a set of Alpinists in the UK if you like them.

Very discounted, probably won't be much different to what is coming, but will no doubt be 800-1000 quid more.

tommyboyo

by tommyboyo

dbl pst

chrhag

by chrhag

My local bikeshop (Specialized dealer) has confirmed to me that a new Roval Rapide wheelset will be released this summer ish.. As we seen with the pro teams, the wheelset looks pretty much the same as before, but with tubeless capibility.

tommyboyo

by tommyboyo

chrhag wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 10:05 am
My local bikeshop (Specialized dealer) has confirmed to me that a new Roval Rapide wheelset will be released this summer ish.. As we seen with the pro teams, the wheelset looks pretty much the same as before, but with tubeless capibility.
So exacty the same as before really.

But with tubless ready rim tape!!

pmprego

by pmprego

tommyboyo wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 10:51 am
chrhag wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 10:05 am
So exacty the same as before really.

But with tubless ready rim tape!!
No... with a revolutionary new carbon lay-up (it has to be something you can't measure) that boost responsiveness and stiffness, making these the real-real uncompromised wheelset. They are even firing all the wheels development workers because nothing more can be achieved in wheels. The end.

e4rthm0ver

by e4rthm0ver

I’m actually looking forward to official tubeless version. I’ve seen reports of people running current wheels tubeless without issues but big part of paying extra for Roval or other big brands for me is warranty policy + local dealers who will take care of that.
And I suspect them finding any remains of sealant in “non-supported” wheel could void the warranty

Wysłane z iPhone za pomocą Tapatalk

pmprego

by pmprego

e4rthm0ver wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 12:10 pm
I’m actually looking forward to official tubeless version. I’ve seen reports of people running current wheels tubeless without issues but big part of paying extra for Roval or other big brands for me is warranty policy + local dealers who will take care of that.
And I suspect them finding any remains of sealant in “non-supported” wheel could void the warranty

Yes, of course. I share your approach. I'm just saying that roval won't admit any mistake with current wheels and just put some untestable claims out there saying these are the best wheels ever.

Stueys

by Stueys

pmprego wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 12:38 pm
e4rthm0ver wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 12:10 pm

Yes, of course. I share your approach. I'm just saying that roval won't admit any mistake with current wheels and just put some untestable claims out there saying these are the best wheels ever.
Spesh, quite rightly, took a fair bit of heat from backing away from tubeless. Suspect they wouldn't have done that unless they genuinely uncovered an issue on the Rapides re tubeless, it will be interesting to see if they explain what they've changed

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

I'd say the 40+ pairs of Rapide / Alpinist wheels I've set up tubeless have seen over 500k km, and I'm yet to have one back with an issue from the tubeless setup (can't say the same for slipping freehub bodies...).

All have been setup using the existing tubeless tape that came on the wheels. The new wheels shall be indetical but now with a list of approved tyres.
SL8 S-Works Project Black - 6.29kg
IG: RhinosWorkshop

mikedtn

by mikedtn

Noticed Alpinist CLX (outgoing version) are heavily discounted at the moment, up to 46% off retail. Wondering if they're worth purchasing for a future build at that price. I can't find many genuine user reviews online, can any owners share their thoughts on this wheelset?

pmprego

by pmprego

mikedtn wrote:
Thu Apr 28, 2022 9:51 am
Noticed Alpinist CLX (outgoing version) are heavily discounted at the moment, up to 46% off retail. Wondering if they're worth purchasing for a future build at that price. I can't find many genuine user reviews online, can any owners share their thoughts on this wheelset?
Where are you getting that price???

mikedtn

by mikedtn

pmprego wrote:
Thu Apr 28, 2022 10:55 am
mikedtn wrote:
Thu Apr 28, 2022 9:51 am
Where are you getting that price???
https://www.sigmasports.com/item/Roval/ ... elset/QAGL

UK based, difficult to know if it's the bargain it seems, or a lot of the price originally came from the wheelset having the Roval name. That's why I'm trying to find some genuine reviews

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com