Roval 2020/2021 Road Wheelsets

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
pmprego

by pmprego

zik wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 5:09 am
mhw23 wrote:These wheels are not hookless - look at the Roval website
So show me where they state they are not hookless. I'm talking about this year's wheel model with dt Swiss 350 hubs.

@macwatt yes, I was thinking of changing the crank, at least 250gr weight saving.
Buy them and tell us then.

zik

by zik

;)
That's what the forum is for, to get information about parts that someone else already have

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

pmprego

by pmprego

zik wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:59 am
;)
That's what the forum is for, to get information about parts that someone else already have
Several people already said: not hookless. You kept your belief. Then just buy them.

Nonetheless, i guess roval has a website and a contact address. Even better than asking here is asking them.

zik

by zik

No, no one has confirmed that they have the current model of wheels with 350 hubs, as I said it looks like the previous model had hooks but not actual one.
I have written to roval but wow such a great support I have not received a reply for over a week.

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

Took me 10 seconds to find the answer :roll: ... They're hookless.
Attachments
D07D04F3-FA8F-4913-911F-68FFF5E45D9A.png
SL8 S-Works Project Black - 6.29kg
IG: RhinosWorkshop

ckspark

by ckspark

macwatt wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:21 am
ckspark wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:55 am
Does anyone know the recommended or their own spoke tensions for the new Rapide CLX front and rear?
Sorry took me a while to find it

A498D4BF-3D3F-49FC-AC6D-B50BA7DFF317.jpeg
Many thanks, do you have the same for the rear wheel at all?

zik

by zik

ryanw wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:06 am
I thought so too, so I'm waiting for an aswer from roval which tubed tires can I use with that rim.
Will share with you if I get an answer.

pmprego

by pmprego

ryanw wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:06 am
What clincher tire is recommended for hookless rims?

Ps1: Additionally, the same photo is on the alpinist clx. Are those also hookless? Come on... That's just a bad photo from roval.

Ps2: a photo on the rapide clx says "tubeless ready". Are they officially tubeless ready? No, they are not.

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

Stop being silly.

A photo of a hookless rim is a photo of a hookless rim. Or are we just to assume that the new wheels have been published with incorrect pictures?

Obviously no clincher (tubed) tyre is compliant with hookless rims. So one would assume the specifation is incorrect and copy and pasted from existing.

Also, the Rapide CLX IS tubeless ready, just not suitbale for certain tubless tyres with large shoulders, typcially found on vulcanised casing tyres, like the commonly used GP5000 TL.

zik

by zik

I just spoke with a specialized representative, he confirmed that new alpinist cl are hookless and he told me that ANY clincher tire can be used that is designed to work with inner tubes. Only tubeless tires cannot be used. As I don't care about tubeless because I don't like to pump up my tires every few days, I'll go with alpinist.

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

You have confused yourself, massively.

Hookless rims can NOT be used with tubes / clinchers.

macwatt

by macwatt

ckspark wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:30 am
macwatt wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:21 am
ckspark wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:55 am
Does anyone know the recommended or their own spoke tensions for the new Rapide CLX front and rear?
Sorry took me a while to find it

A498D4BF-3D3F-49FC-AC6D-B50BA7DFF317.jpeg
Many thanks, do you have the same for the rear wheel at all?
Oops 😬
5E227AFE-103A-4557-A086-C934D159D6BF.jpeg

pmprego

by pmprego

ryanw wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 11:02 am
Stop being silly.

A photo of a hookless rim is a photo of a hookless rim. Or are we just to assume that the new wheels have been published with incorrect pictures?

Obviously no clincher (tubed) tyre is compliant with hookless rims. So one would assume the specifation is incorrect and copy and pasted from existing.

Also, the Rapide CLX IS tubeless ready, just not suitbale for certain tubless tyres with large shoulders, typcially found on vulcanised casing tyres, like the commonly used GP5000 TL.
Ryan... I know that you and other run them tubeless. That point is closed. Yet, Roval now sends them with a sticker saying "Not tubeless compatible" which is the oficial position. But on the online photos in their own website says "Tubeless ready" which is wrong. So, yes, I'm assuming and stating they published incorrect pictures given that for the rapide clx they have been incorrect since the beginning.

W.t.z. zik: if you go for the alpinist and use a regular clincher tire all good. but if for any chance, if you go for hookless wheels (not the alpinist cl) don't use clincher tires as you significantly increase your likelihood of ending in a ditch.

zik

by zik

ryanw wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 11:45 am
You have confused yourself, massively.

Hookless rims can NOT be used with tubes / clinchers.
You just confirmed that alpinist cl are hookless.
From roval page wheel description "Rim Type: Carbon, clincher (tube-type), Disc Brake Only"

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Maddie

by Maddie

@Zik, ryanw is right, you are mixing up things. Clincher tires need rims with hooks and they are supposed to be mounted with tubes. Hookless is for tubeless tires only. Please do some reading if you don't believe it. In this case, it is really important.