Roval 2020/2021 Road Wheelsets

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
tiz92

by tiz92

Another error can be chain lube and drivetrain cleaniness. Can easily be 2-5W. Then tires also in the same combination with different wear 1-5W. Position and rider body easily 5-15W. Cycling kit, also if aero 5-15W and so one...

But I like the effort you put in :) Keep up the testing. Its interesting nontheless.

jamin

by jamin

Has anyone tried fitting the new Conti 5000S TR on a Rapide CLX? Conti says that are easier to fit, just wondering if that is indeed true. I'm currently running their clincher version in 28mm and these are such a PITA to fit, I'm worried if I puncture whether I'll be able to get the tyre on/off again whilst out riding.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

Go on fine with levers.
SL8 S-Works Project Black - 6.29kg
IG: RhinosWorkshop

K4m1k4z3

by K4m1k4z3

Does anyone know the ERD of the Rapide rims?
'24 S-Works Tarmac SL8 RTP - soon™
'22 Tarmac SL7 Expert | Ultegra R8100 | Alpinist CL / Custom Rapide CLX 2x60
'19 Diverge E5 Comp
'18 Epic HT Comp Carbon WMN
'18 TCR Adv Pro 1 Disc

Sleeprequired

by Sleeprequired

petromyzon wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 3:37 pm
Most power meters take a while to bed in so if you are swapping them this is another source of error.
Power metres swapped - Assioma duo, 3 x sprint and progressive - zeroed with level and 6 & 12 o'clock.

Watt difference stayed with the rider.

As previously stated GP5000 80psi tubolito S-road. Both riders 83kg (but flat track anyway). Melbourne Grand Prix circuit.

So....

I swapped the wheels only with the existing 23w delta.

New delta? 32w.

9w win to the Rovals. So the goal of the exercise was to determine if purchasing the SL7 sworks with roval rapides was actually slower than the roubaix with LB and the answer is no.

9w difference in favour of the rapides.

9w difference in favour.

- Tested average watts delta 23w across 3 laps
- Swapped wheels
- 32w average delta across 3 laps

So I can safely purchase the SL7 knowing I'll be 9w quicker. :D And for the record it was the opposite to what I was expecting. I was almost certain some of that 23w delta was the rovals, then it went to 32w.

Bottom line is as long as it's not slower I'm happy, as this purchase is about more than the watts, I just refused to go backwards which is fair enough when you're spending that sort of coin.

My mate thought he needed a new bike, turns out his bike needs a new him. :D.
Last edited by Sleeprequired on Sun Oct 24, 2021 10:50 am, edited 2 times in total.

Sleeprequired

by Sleeprequired

tiz92 wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 6:26 am
Another error can be chain lube and drivetrain cleaniness. Can easily be 2-5W. Then tires also in the same combination with different wear 1-5W. Position and rider body easily 5-15W. Cycling kit, also if aero 5-15W and so one...

But I like the effort you put in :) Keep up the testing. Its interesting nontheless.
Yep valid point. Both run waxed drive trains, with fresh chains. But, the AXS chain isn't the best for waxing. Could account for 3-4w Possibly.

My rear tyre slightly more worn. Good catch.

pmprego

by pmprego

Sleeprequired wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 10:42 am
tiz92 wrote:

Yep valid point. Both run waxed drive trains, with fresh chains. But, the AXS chain isn't the best for waxing. Could account for 3-4w Possibly.

Honestly, I'm somewhat lost. Let's forget about eventual cofoundings. There will be many.

After all these swap were you able to isolate the effect from the sl7 vs roubaix and the rapides vs lb wheels?

Sleeprequired

by Sleeprequired

pmprego wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 12:12 pm
Sleeprequired wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 10:42 am
tiz92 wrote:

Honestly, I'm somewhat lost. Let's forget about eventual cofoundings. There will be many.

After all these swap were you able to isolate the effect from the sl7 vs roubaix and the rapides vs lb wheels?
It's in the post above the one you read.

pmprego

by pmprego

Sleeprequired wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:01 pm
pmprego wrote:

Yeah, I've written an also confusing message. 9w in favor of the rapide. That's clear.

What about the sl7 to the roubaix? Is that the 23w difference?

Sleeprequired

by Sleeprequired

pmprego wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:35 pm
Sleeprequired wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:01 pm
pmprego wrote:

Yeah, I've written an also confusing message. 9w in favor of the rapide. That's clear.

What about the sl7 to the roubaix? Is that the 23w difference?
The 23w was rider & bike, sl7 rapides vs rider & bike, roubaix with LB rims.

Then I swapped wheels thinking I would find the LB wheels on the SL7 (amd the rapides on the roubaix) would be faster. I was expecting to see the 23w come down to less, maybe 5-10 or so to help explain the massive delta.

Nope.

The delta got bigger - blew out to 32w.

So my roubaix got 9w more aero and his SL7 dropped another 9w. I just couldn't believe his delta was 23 and then it blew out to 32!!

I have ridden besides and compared power with so many people and so many more variables and never had that delta before.

So some more anecdotal evidence. 1 and a half hour ride this weekend.

1st rider on a TT who I know well, then me drafting behind, then him in 3rd position.

So the TT did say 250, then me behind at 235 which makes sense because he's slippery as all f*ck, then old mate behind me at 237.

So third wheel and he's doing more watts than second wheel. It makes sense 2nd wheel isn't saving much because I'm behind a TT bike, but 3rd wheel
Behind conventional roadie has 2w more.

And it's 100% not the power meter because that's been ruled out. They match within 1%.

And yeah he's not the best as drafting but he's typically with 2 feet and you get some (meaningful) benefits for sure but he's blowing them somehow.

So it's the rider and skill but the delta was so massive you need to rule out everything else first which is what I've done. And of course there was the fact I was about to drop big bucks and seeing this huge delta - I had to know.

sheldonsmith

by sheldonsmith

tiz92 wrote:
<snip>
What is the issue with AXS chains used with wax versus other chains and wax?

FlatlandClimber

by FlatlandClimber

SRAM flattop chain is generally slower than Shimano DA chain. Have never heard that they respond to lubricants differently...
Cervelo P5 Disc (2021) 9.1kg
Factor Ostro Gravel (2023) 8.0kg
S-Works SL8 (2023) 6.3kg

*weights are race ready, size 58/L.
Sold: Venge, S5 Disc, Roubaix Team, Open WI.DE, Émonda, Shiv TT, Crux, Aethos, SL7

Sleeprequired

by Sleeprequired

FlatlandClimber wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 7:42 am
SRAM flattop chain is generally slower than Shimano DA chain. Have never heard that they respond to lubricants differently...
https://zerofrictioncycling.com.au/

Adam there is pretty well respected and does A LOT of testing. I can't point you towards where he said it but it was to the effect that the tolerances for the chain were so tight that it made immersion waxing less practical. I think it potentially extended to other lines but not to the same extent.

Don't quote me on the last part. Ridiculously long chain life though, however with wax everything lasts a looooong time so chain life not such an issue.

**edit - he talk about it here, scroll down. It's the actual chain efficiency on top of the done to death 10t thing but I was strictly referring to waxing and general axs chain efficiency.

https://zerofrictioncycling.com.au/prod ... eed-chain/

And apologies this is now off topic so future posts will be in relation to the wheels

Ritsuke

by Ritsuke

jamin wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:51 am
Has anyone tried fitting the new Conti 5000S TR on a Rapide CLX? Conti says that are easier to fit, just wondering if that is indeed true. I'm currently running their clincher version in 28mm and these are such a PITA to fit, I'm worried if I puncture whether I'll be able to get the tyre on/off again whilst out riding.
How did it work out?
Road // 2023 S-Works Tarmac SL8 | Shimano Dura-Ace Di2 | Roval Rapide CLX
Gravel // 2023 Specialized Crux Pro | SRAM Force AXS | Roval Terra CL
Retired // 2022 S-Works Shiv TT // 2021 S-Works Tarmac SL7 // 2019 Specialized Allez Sprint Red Hook

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Ritsuke

by Ritsuke

Converted my Roval Rapide CLX to tubeless with Continental GP5000 TR S tires. The process went fairly easy, remembered the GP to be more of a hassle. Happy with the outcome, except for the brown wall but that's personal taste.
Road // 2023 S-Works Tarmac SL8 | Shimano Dura-Ace Di2 | Roval Rapide CLX
Gravel // 2023 Specialized Crux Pro | SRAM Force AXS | Roval Terra CL
Retired // 2022 S-Works Shiv TT // 2021 S-Works Tarmac SL7 // 2019 Specialized Allez Sprint Red Hook