Roval 2020/2021 Road Wheelsets

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
jlok

by jlok

I thought more spoke tension does not contribute to a stiffer wheel when the tension is enough already?

https://novemberbicycles.com/blogs/blog/spoke-tension
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bruno2000

by bruno2000

FlatlandClimber wrote:
Mon Jul 05, 2021 8:15 pm
I kinda doubt anybody is reliably able to feel a 150g difference, especially when riding on the flat.
Not saying it impossible, just having a hunch this might be a little on the Placebo Side of things :noidea:
but maybe it's just me who doesn't believe in these weight differences making a noticeable difference, especially on the flat.
In a 75kg system for example, that would be 0.2% of the system weight saved...
Even if you bro science things like "rotational weight is at least double" that would still be like saying "my bike feels significantly snappier depending on if I have 600 or 300ml of water in my bottle.

Nevertheless, the Alpinist are likely Great wheels...
The difference in stiffness maybe a thing. I don't know how the Alpinsit feel.

However, regarding "lighter wheels accelerate better": that's only from
Very slow speeds. In an all out sprint at higher speeds (even 30kph to 40kph), the reduced Aero-drag will far outweigh the weight advantage.

All that would lead me to the conclusion of taking the amazing Rapide. They are amazingly fast and stable!

I'm just an average Joe from the corner.
I have a lot of experience as a cyclosportif riding all the biggest events in Europe.
And these are just my findings, not based on scientific research.
(If we would take scientific research into acount of what we need, nobody here would have to spend 10000+ €/$ for their bikes)
I do admit 99.99% of what I experience of these wheels is probably marketing-driven or something alike.
If average Joe speds 2500€ for a pair of aero wheels, reads reviews and whatches pro-racing. First time he puts his new expensive aero wheel sin his bike, offcourse they will feel fast and give him a feeling of speed.
Same as Joe spends another 2500€ for light, shallow climbing wheels. offcourse he will feel he accelerates way faster...

brinox

by brinox

jlok wrote:
Tue Jul 06, 2021 7:19 am
I thought more spoke tension does not contribute to a stiffer wheel when the tension is enough already?

As it relates to lateral stiffness, spoke tension only goes so far: https://www.slowtwitch.com/Tech/Debunki ... _3449.html

The one thing that really surprised me about this particular measured dimensional performance, the Zipp 303 deflected less in lateral loads compared to the 404 and 808. Since this is from 8 years ago, I'm assuming some or most of this has changed as we've progressed into disc brakes on nearly most road bike models offered today. I think its worth reading though, if just to get a better understanding of what forces and loads your wheels will exhibit while riding and/or riding hard...

pmprego

by pmprego

brinox wrote:
Fri Jul 09, 2021 5:46 pm
jlok wrote:
Tue Jul 06, 2021 7:19 am

As it relates to lateral stiffness, spoke tension only goes so far: https://www.slowtwitch.com/Tech/Debunki ... _3449.html

The one thing that really surprised me about this particular measured dimensional performance, the Zipp 303 deflected less in lateral loads compared to the 404 and 808. Since this is from 8 years ago, I'm assuming some or most of this has changed as we've progressed into disc brakes on nearly most road bike models offered today. I think its worth reading though, if just to get a better understanding of what forces and loads your wheels will exhibit while riding and/or riding hard...
And me expecting a leak of some "officially approved" new road tubeless wheelset... :)

colhd

by colhd

I see the Rapide and Alpiniste on sale in many shops. Makes me wonder if there is a revised version (in other words an officially approved tubeless version) coming soon or if they are just not selling well. Has anyone heard anything?

IceLed

by IceLed

colhd wrote:I see the Rapide and Alpiniste on sale in many shops. Makes me wonder if there is a revised version (in other words an officially approved tubeless version) coming soon or if they are just not selling well. Has anyone heard anything?
Can you please share a link to those sites? Thanks in advance!

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

S-Works Venge 2019 Battleship
Previous bikes:
Canyon Aeroad CF SLX Disc 2019
Canyon Ultimate CF SL Disc
Canyon Endurace AL
Cube Agree C:62
Cube Peloton

BianchiDave

by BianchiDave

IceLed wrote:
Fri Jul 09, 2021 10:39 pm
colhd wrote:I see the Rapide and Alpiniste on sale in many shops. Makes me wonder if there is a revised version (in other words an officially approved tubeless version) coming soon or if they are just not selling well. Has anyone heard anything?
Can you please share a link to those sites? Thanks in advance!

Have a look at Certini in the UK

IceLed

by IceLed

Thanks!

S-Works Venge 2019 Battleship
Previous bikes:
Canyon Aeroad CF SLX Disc 2019
Canyon Ultimate CF SL Disc
Canyon Endurace AL
Cube Agree C:62
Cube Peloton

FlatlandClimber

by FlatlandClimber

Conti 5000 Transparent in 28c coming out to 28.9 and 28.8 on Rapide. The front one actually looks perfect. The rear one is a little fat, but should be okay in a rear wheel.
Cervelo P5 Disc (2021) 9.1kg
Factor Ostro Gravel (2023) 8.0kg
S-Works SL8 (2023) 6.3kg

*weights are race ready, size 58/L.
Sold: Venge, S5 Disc, Roubaix Team, Open WI.DE, Émonda, Shiv TT, Crux, Aethos, SL7

pmprego

by pmprego

FlatlandClimber wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 9:36 pm
Conti 5000 Transparent in 28c coming out to 28.9 and 28.8 on Rapide. The front one actually looks perfect. The rear one is a little fat, but should be okay in a rear wheel.
I imagine they are not losing that many sales but what a shame they are not officially tubeless.

For some like me that lack of option is really a deal breaker as the rapide are very close to the best wheel around (imo).

FlatlandClimber

by FlatlandClimber

I am not that mad at them for not going TL, because this means it's not hookless, which is what I am afraid all light Enve and ZIPP wheels will be from here on out.
Cervelo P5 Disc (2021) 9.1kg
Factor Ostro Gravel (2023) 8.0kg
S-Works SL8 (2023) 6.3kg

*weights are race ready, size 58/L.
Sold: Venge, S5 Disc, Roubaix Team, Open WI.DE, Émonda, Shiv TT, Crux, Aethos, SL7

pmprego

by pmprego

FlatlandClimber wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:36 pm
I am not that mad at them for not going TL, because this means it's not hookless, which is what I am afraid all light Enve and ZIPP wheels will be from here on out.
As a bontrager user yourself, they allow tubeless with hooks :)

But if it's true that hookless is both cheaper to produce and a lighter product I'm pretty much convinced that every major brand will want to go down that path sooner or later. It'd be uncompetitive not to go.

Campervan

by Campervan

Has anyone had any problems running the rapides tubeless at all?
I'm tempted to go tubeless on mine (now the rear hub has been rebuilt due to recall). My only worry is the low pressure on the front wheel with it being so wide.
BMC Granfondo 02 105
Scott Scale 940
Boardman CXR 9.4 cxr CX/gravel mongrel
Btwin 540
Specialized Venge Pro Disc

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

refthimos

by refthimos

Campervan wrote:
Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:52 pm
Has anyone had any problems running the rapides tubeless at all?
None whatsoever
EVO1 | 5.37kg
EVO3 (sold) | 6.51kg
EVO4 | build thread coming soon
S5 Disc
SystemSix (sold) | 8.01kg
P5 Disc | heavy but fast