Parcours Strade

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

CustomMetal

by CustomMetal

Looks like interesting alternative to Enve 4.5 AR and cheaper...
Allegra- Steel Lugs TBC
Aurelia- Stainless All Road 8.5kg
Bertha- TT 9.8kg
Perdita- Ti Turbo bike 8kg
Serenity- Ti Gravel 9.5kg/8.9kg
Verity- Ti Aero 8.2kg
Alya- Ti Climbing TBC

All weights with pedals,cages & garmin mount

emotive

by emotive

Yeah, good looking specifications. I prefer the wider profile of the Hunt limitless 48 though. I imagine they support a 28mm tyre better?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

CustomMetal

by CustomMetal

Hunts look to be a lot heavier though and I like the mixed profile of the parcours
Allegra- Steel Lugs TBC
Aurelia- Stainless All Road 8.5kg
Bertha- TT 9.8kg
Perdita- Ti Turbo bike 8kg
Serenity- Ti Gravel 9.5kg/8.9kg
Verity- Ti Aero 8.2kg
Alya- Ti Climbing TBC

All weights with pedals,cages & garmin mount

chrisw91

by chrisw91

Has anyone ridden a set of these yet? There's been a couple of good reviews in the UK so am thinking of taking the plunge for my new Tarmac build (got to keep busy during quarantine!).

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/reviews/b ... e-wheelset
https://www.cyclist.co.uk/reviews/7954/ ... set-review

More than anything I'd like to know how the 28C tyres measure up in real life on these rims. Any views?

pmprego

by pmprego

chrisw91 wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:59 am
Has anyone ridden a set of these yet? There's been a couple of good reviews in the UK so am thinking of taking the plunge for my new Tarmac build (got to keep busy during quarantine!).

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/reviews/b ... e-wheelset
https://www.cyclist.co.uk/reviews/7954/ ... set-review

More than anything I'd like to know how the 28C tyres measure up in real life on these rims. Any views?
I'd love to see an aero comparison test with the new hunt 54 carbon spoke.

chrisw91

by chrisw91

pmprego wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:14 pm
I was originally looking at the Hunt Limitless wheels until they were recalled. Wonder if that's a better comp than the carbon spoke wheels? You're right though, it'd be so so helpful to see a direct comparison!

pmprego

by pmprego

chrisw91 wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:31 am
pmprego wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:14 pm
I was originally looking at the Hunt Limitless wheels until they were recalled. Wonder if that's a better comp than the carbon spoke wheels? You're right though, it'd be so so helpful to see a direct comparison!
There new parcours are really wide also. 32mm in the front. Very close to the 34mm on the limitless. The new hunt carbon spoke have some additional benefits. Comes tubeless ready (with tape and wheels if the customer chooses it) and seem to have lifetime crash replacment which is relly nice. Hunt's are lighter but less wide so I would say the parcours are a tiny bit more aero. Most likely 1w difference between the two that's probably the end result which is irrelevant let's be honest. I guess this carbon spoke thing might be some nice improvement weight wise. Let's see what roval shows for their new wheels.

alanyu

by alanyu

extremely wide = aero? NO. extremely wide = marketing

pmprego

by pmprego

alanyu wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:20 pm
That's why it would be nice to have some independent testing. Actually, it'd be awesome!!

emotive

by emotive

alanyu wrote:
Plenty of aero testing of wider wheels over the last 3 years by DT Swiss, Enve, Zipp, Hunt, and now Parcours. Do you think all these companies are fabricating their aero test results for marketing purposes?

alanyu

by alanyu

emotive wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:32 am
alanyu wrote:
Plenty of aero testing of wider wheels over the last 3 years by DT Swiss, Enve, Zipp, Hunt, and now Parcours. Do you think all these companies are fabricating their aero test results for marketing purposes?
What are u smoking? wider = extremely wide?

Dt swiss/SwissSide follows the airfoil rule of the width which is not really wide in today's range, e.g. 48 height 25 ext. width.
Enve Ses 4.5 + 25C tires is more aero than AR + 30C tires which is optimaized for mixed road
Zipp reduces from 27-28 of the former version to 25-27 of the current.

As to hunt? Should @hambini give you a lesson?

pmprego

by pmprego

alanyu wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:34 am
emotive wrote:
alanyu wrote:

Dt swiss/SwissSide follows the airfoil rule of the width which is not really wide in today's range, e.g. 48 height 25 ext. width.
Enve Ses 4.5 + 25C tires is more aero than AR + 30C tires which is optimaized for mixed road

People really stop using those hambini references. I'm not arguing against his knowledge but he's not the only PhD in aerodynamics in the world. He's just not. So don't argue that all the others out there are dumb af because they are not. They did exactly the same he did. Believing he is above and beyond everyone else is even worst than believing companies marketing claims.

alanyu

by alanyu

pmprego wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:46 am
alanyu wrote:
emotive wrote:
alanyu wrote:

People really stop using those hambini references. I'm not arguing against his knowledge but he's not the only PhD in aerodynamics in the world. He's just not. So don't argue that all the others out there are dumb af because they are not. They did exactly the same he did. Believing he is above and beyond everyone else is even worst than believing companies marketing claims.
My example is used to refute what I quote. If you could give me a link of another aero test on hunt's extremely wide wheels vs other brands' from a third party, I will appreciate it, as I don't 100% trust hambini's test, which is not as transparent as, e.g. tour's test as long as what tested is not from a german brand.

pmprego

by pmprego

alanyu wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:04 am
pmprego wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:46 am
alanyu wrote:
emotive wrote:

My example is used to refute what I quote. If you could give me a link of another aero test on hunt's extremely wide wheels vs other brands' from a third party, I will appreciate it, as I don't 100% trust hambini's test, which is not as transparent as, e.g. tour's test as long as what tested is not from a german brand.
Unfortunately there aren't those independent tests in there. As a side note, the hunt wheels hambini tested were a more slimmer profile than those last wheels that they are manufacturing.

hambini

by hambini

I don't think there is anywhere else in the world where a forum would argue that an object that is wider (and has a bigger frontal area) would be more aerodynamic than a narrow one.

:Rollseyes in disbelief.

You don't need a PHD in aerodynamics to see the marketing spin.
Hambini Aeronautical Engineer, Polluting YouTube since 2016 - views expressed are my own...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com