Tubeless Sealant - How long can it sit?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Jackofallgrades

by Jackofallgrades

I travel for up to a 2/2.5 weeks at a time, and my bike will be sat at home in 15-20 celsius heat for that time. I've had very mixed opinions when asking tubeless runners whether sealant would congeal in that time and need replacing, and can't find much info online either. Does anyone have any info on this topic or positive experience with a particular sealant in this respect?
Cannondale SSEvo3 'Atticus' - 7.2kg
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=161634

Cannondale Systemsix ’Dante’ - 7.7kg
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=167144

Orlok

by Orlok

I ride for more then 8 years now tubeless on my road bike. I have two pair of wheel-sets carbon for the summer and alu for the winter. After I change the wheelset the old ones stay under pression and with the latex in it till I change them again, with no problems, so . . . . don't worry for yours 2/2,5 weeks at 15-20 Celsius heat for that time. :wink:
Once comes a time that you'll have a tailwind :D
Pinarello F10 - Ultegra 8050 Di2 - Carbonspeed C38 Tubeless

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Indoors and out of direct sunlight at 15-20C = your sealant will likely last at minimum 4 months if you use the recommended amount.

Jackofallgrades

by Jackofallgrades

Orlok wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 2:00 pm
I ride for more then 8 years now tubeless on my road bike. I have two pair of wheel-sets carbon for the summer and alu for the winter. After I change the wheelset the old ones stay under pression and with the latex in it till I change them again, with no problems, so . . . . don't worry for yours 2/2,5 weeks at 15-20 Celsius heat for that time. :wink:
You mean you can stick the wheelset on your bike after sitting for the whole summer/winter and its good to go? Or do you refresh the sealant?
TobinHatesYou wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 3:04 pm
Indoors and out of direct sunlight at 15-20C = your sealant will likely last at minimum 4 months if you use the recommended amount.
But is that 4 months of normal use or 4 months of the wheels being stationary? This is where I've had some confusion. I worry the sealant sat still at the bottom of the tyre for a long time will allow it to solidify, rather than it running dry with normal use over time as most manufacturers talk about.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

This shouldn’t be confusing at all. Stationary sealant in a tire that isn’t exposed to sunlight will last LONGER than sealant splashing around in a tire that is frequently ridden. Just think of the conditions that would cause water to evaporate.

IrrelevantD

by IrrelevantD

Jackofallgrades wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 4:26 pm
Orlok wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 2:00 pm
You mean you can stick the wheelset on your bike after sitting for the whole summer/winter and its good to go? Or do you refresh the sealant?
TobinHatesYou wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 3:04 pm
But is that 4 months of normal use or 4 months of the wheels being stationary? This is where I've had some confusion. I worry the sealant sat still at the bottom of the tyre for a long time will allow it to solidify, rather than it running dry with normal use over time as most manufacturers talk about.
2~3 weeks, no problem. I've been running road tubeless for about 11 years and I've left wheels in an outdoor shed longer than that in ~30ºC temps (+/- 10º) with no issues.

4 months, I personally think this is a bit optimistic, I wouldn't say it's teribly far off. I'd say that if you let it sit for 3~4 months, you're probably going to be hit or miss on if the sealant is still good. I've seen both times when I've left tires untouched on the rim for 4mo or more and still had good sealant in them, and times where it's been a dired up ball in the bottom of the tire after 3.

I'm going to say that it really depends on how good they are sealed. If they hold some pressure in them for that long, they'll probably be fine. If they've gone completely flat, you're going to be scraping latex.

This has just been my experience using Stan's. I've had a lot of issues with other sealants to the point that I've never left anything else in a tire long enough to see how they hold up after months of non-use.
* There is a 70% chance that what you have just read has a peppering of cynicism or sarcasm and generally should not be taken seriously.
I'll leave it up to you to figure out the other 30%. If you are in any way offended, that's on you.

Jackofallgrades

by Jackofallgrades

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:09 pm
This shouldn’t be confusing at all. Stationary sealant in a tire that isn’t exposed to sunlight will last LONGER than sealant splashing around in a tire that is frequently ridden. Just think of the conditions that would cause water to evaporate.
It's that kind of clarification I've been looking for to be honest, so thanks :)
IrrelevantD wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:34 pm
2~3 weeks, no problem. I've been running road tubeless for about 11 years and I've left wheels in an outdoor shed longer than that in ~30ºC temps (+/- 10º) with no issues.

4 months, I personally think this is a bit optimistic, I wouldn't say it's teribly far off. I'd say that if you let it sit for 3~4 months, you're probably going to be hit or miss on if the sealant is still good. I've seen both times when I've left tires untouched on the rim for 4mo or more and still had good sealant in them, and times where it's been a dired up ball in the bottom of the tire after 3.

I'm going to say that it really depends on how good they are sealed. If they hold some pressure in them for that long, they'll probably be fine. If they've gone completely flat, you're going to be scraping latex.

This has just been my experience using Stan's. I've had a lot of issues with other sealants to the point that I've never left anything else in a tire long enough to see how they hold up after months of non-use.
Thanks for the feedback. I reckon it's time to give this a go :thumbup:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com