Best Tubeless tires for 2020?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Andrew69

by Andrew69

Update for anyone considering the schwalbe pro one tle tubeless tyres
Front has sealed up perfectly and no longer losses excessive pressure over time
Rear is still not perfect but it is better
Now takes several days to drop 40+ psi
Another couple of rides may see it all sorted

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

George46GR

by George46GR

I have just installed the new Super Race Schwalbe Pro One TLE on my rear Farsports disck wheel. Easy installation by hand. Seated quite easily with just one signle air blast from my topeak special pump (with reservoir). The soapy foam before pumping it up worked fine.

The tyre keeps the air quite well without sealant. It looses air, okay, but tomorrow I will add some (50 ml) of JOE'S no flats super sealant to check it. Very pleased up to now. I will lwt you know.
2023 Cervelo S5, size 56, sapphire/ice

USAisDOA

by USAisDOA

Tried the PM route, being a newbie no joy. I do understand.

Outstanding photograph... All the greenery with snow on the ground too. :thumbup:
I believe almost nothing I read and 'hear'

I believe roughly half of what I see with my own eyes.. in person.

I do not carbon.. anything

:nospamhere:

USAisDOA

by USAisDOA

One PostScript per tubeless tires.

If you do not flat a lot.. do not bother. Lots of miles on tubeless here, it's not worth the grief.

Case in point.. cut up TL someday where the sealant won't work... Try and get a tube in on the side of the road.

Best of luck.
I believe almost nothing I read and 'hear'

I believe roughly half of what I see with my own eyes.. in person.

I do not carbon.. anything

:nospamhere:

GlassTown

by GlassTown

I've been using the Pirelli P-Zero TLR 26mm on a Hunt Aerodynamicist 20mm internal rim width. Was easily able to get both tires on the rim by hand, first time with no struggle, swearing or soapy water.

They both seated first time, no issue, with a track pump. I used orange seal for the sealant and they hold air perfectly well maybe losing 1-2psi overnight at worst which is a dream to be honest.

The ride is comfortable (I'm 93kgs) running around 81psi in the front and 87psi in the back, plenty of grip in the wet and feel so smooth as you increase the speed.

Couldn't be happier with this set up and long may it continue.

GlassTown

by GlassTown

Sorry, double post. Mods please delete.

hartmannce

by hartmannce

GlassTown wrote:
Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:46 pm
I've been using the Pirelli P-Zero TLR 26mm on a Hunt Aerodynamicist 20mm internal rim width. Was easily able to get both tires on the rim by hand, first time with no struggle, swearing or soapy water.

They both seated first time, no issue, with a track pump. I used orange seal for the sealant and they hold air perfectly well maybe losing 1-2psi overnight at worst which is a dream to be honest.

The ride is comfortable (I'm 93kgs) running around 81psi in the front and 87psi in the back, plenty of grip in the wet and feel so smooth as you increase the speed.

Can you please measure their actual width on the rim?

GlassTown

by GlassTown

hartmannce wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:27 am
GlassTown wrote:

They both come up at 28mm on the rim, thankfully the external rim width is 29mm so the profile looks really nice. I'm pleased with the performance and the comfort of this combination so far.

hartmannce

by hartmannce

GlassTown wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:41 am
hartmannce wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:27 am
GlassTown wrote:

They both come up at 28mm on the rim, thankfully the external rim width is 29mm so the profile looks really nice. I'm pleased with the performance and the comfort of this combination so far.
Thanks. So Pirelli tyres 26mm are the way to go.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

So much FUD in that article. Maybe UK mechanics don’t use road tubeless, but there are plenty of mechanics and racers here who do.

Valves stuck in the rim because of sealant? Lol. Certainly not because of sealant around the bung...maybe if sealant seeps into the threads and acts like a threadlocker on the nut, but you can prevent that with a little bit of grease on the thread.

warthog101

by warthog101

Yep started reading it and cbfed wasting my time finishing it.
The adventures of a frustrated numpty aren't that interesting :|

Nickldn

by Nickldn

The article is more like a cross between a cry for help and clickbait.

Sure some tubless wheel/tyre combos may not work well, but it doesn't apply to everything. Not objective, or useful.
Giant Propel Advanced SL Red Etap 11s Easton EC90 wheels CeramicSpeed BB Zipp SL70 bars 6.5kg

Vitus ZX1 CRS Campy Chorus 12s Bora WTO 45 disk brake wheels Zipp SL70 bars 7.5kg

SL8 build with Craft CS5060 Wheels in progress

BagelMaster

by BagelMaster

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Sat Jun 05, 2021 4:16 am
So much FUD in that article. Maybe UK mechanics don’t use road tubeless, but there are plenty of mechanics and racers here who do.

Valves stuck in the rim because of sealant? Lol. Certainly not because of sealant around the bung...maybe if sealant seeps into the threads and acts like a threadlocker on the nut, but you can prevent that with a little bit of grease on the thread.
I just took apart a spare set of gravel wheels I throw on my bikes when I have to travel with my bike on the back of my vehicle. Had mounted them with sealant and then COVID happened so I never traveled or touched the wheels. The valve was stuck to the rim and the valve nut was stuck... but it took me 5 seconds to grave a pair of pliers to unstick the note and push the valve out.

Silly article.

TwiggyForest

by TwiggyForest

USAisDOA wrote:
Thu May 27, 2021 4:54 pm
One PostScript per tubeless tires.

If you do not flat a lot.. do not bother. Lots of miles on tubeless here, it's not worth the grief.

Case in point.. cut up TL someday where the sealant won't work... Try and get a tube in on the side of the road.

Best of luck.
My experience differs, I've had 2 big slices out on the road that needed tubes installed - both took only marginally longer to install a tube than with a standard clincher. This is with GP5000 TL on a LB AR46 rim which are a notoriously tight fit. I found the trick is to break the bead all the way around and move the bead into the centre channel, before removing. Refitting was done both times without levers, I think between the stretch from being used by and the lubrication from the sealant makes it easier than when the tyres are new.

The absolute worst part is sealant goes everywhere.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com