Best Tubeless tires for 2020?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

CampagYOLO

by CampagYOLO

Given you're looking for winter training tyres, Pirelli Cinturato 28mm would suit you well.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Another vote for the Cinturato as a bad conditions training tire.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

CustomMetal

by CustomMetal

Cinturato are the best winter tyres I have used
Allegra- Steel Lugs TBC
Aurelia- Stainless All Road 8.5kg
Bertha- TT 9.8kg
Perdita- Ti Turbo bike 8kg
Serenity- Ti Gravel 9.5kg/8.9kg
Verity- Ti Aero 8.2kg
Alya- Ti Climbing TBC

All weights with pedals,cages & garmin mount

On3

by On3

Thanks for you answers. I may have pull the trigger a bit quick on Schwalbe One considering this unanimous opinion on Cinturato, but it seems they are not recommended with hookless rims? (Not mentioned on Pirelli's website contrary to other of their products like P Zero Race for example).

Once I have received it, I will let you know real width of One TLE on 22mm internal rims.

CustomMetal

by CustomMetal

I run my 35mm ones on 25mm wide hookless rims.. however I run them at 50psi so won't be a problem. My understanding is that they are now fine with tubless as they updated their range for this but not updated the packaging
Allegra- Steel Lugs TBC
Aurelia- Stainless All Road 8.5kg
Bertha- TT 9.8kg
Perdita- Ti Turbo bike 8kg
Serenity- Ti Gravel 9.5kg/8.9kg
Verity- Ti Aero 8.2kg
Alya- Ti Climbing TBC

All weights with pedals,cages & garmin mount

On3

by On3

CustomMetal wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 4:03 pm
I run my 35mm ones on 25mm wide hookless rims.. however I run them at 50psi so won't be a problem. My understanding is that they are now fine with tubless as they updated their range for this but not updated the packaging
Good to know. Thanks for the information.

edchristoph

by edchristoph

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 11:47 pm
edchristoph wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 11:31 pm
TobinHatesYou wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 10:23 pm
Seems that the Challenge Strada Pros needed a couple of rides to break in. They felt pretty sublime today.
As you never really liked the Veloflex Corsa's, do you like the Challenge Strada Pro HTLR more and if so, what is it? Are they faster or more supple or both? Btw, was your experience from the Corsa Evo or Race?

I had to run 25mm Corsa Race TLRs at 75psi because they felt harsh at 85psi. Also the exposed cotton threads frayed after 350km on the local roads…and the tires would literally chug sealant. After a while, my sidewalls became a dark brown-orange from all the absorbed Orange Seal.

I doubt the Challenge Strada Pro HTLR are faster, but they ride great. Like the Vittoria Corsa TLR tires, they have a thin rubber coating on top of the sidewalls that protect the threads from sharp flint or other side impacts.
Thanks for the feedback! I found the 25mm Corsa Race TLRs very plush at 78psi (front) and 83psi (rear) which is my current setup @ rider weight of 83kg (195cm).

However, I am considering the Challenge Strada Pro TLR 25mm for the winter season. Assuming you are still happy with them, do you have any concerns regarding their grip? I just read somewhere (can't exactly remeber where) that Strada Pro's do not have the best wet grip and you need to lower pressure to get sufficient grip in wet conditions.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

edchristoph wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:49 am

Thanks for the feedback! I found the 25mm Corsa Race TLRs very plush at 78psi (front) and 83psi (rear) which is my current setup @ rider weight of 83kg (195cm).

However, I am considering the Challenge Strada Pro TLR 25mm for the winter season. Assuming you are still happy with them, do you have any concerns regarding their grip? I just read somewhere (can't exactly remeber where) that Strada Pro's do not have the best wet grip and you need to lower pressure to get sufficient grip in wet conditions.

I have only ridden them once in "first rain" conditions. There was just one moment while cornering over some painted markers where I felt the rear tire start to slip. Since it was a painted lane marker and an oily road surface, I don't want to blame the tire. Anyway you should generally lower your tire pressures in wet conditions and that's not tire dependent.

If you're specifically wanting wet grip, Vittoria Corsa Controls are tough to beat.

edchristoph

by edchristoph

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 11:01 am

I have only ridden them once in "first rain" conditions. There was just one moment while cornering over some painted markers where I felt the rear tire start to slip. Since it was a painted lane marker and an oily road surface, I don't want to blame the tire. Anyway you should generally lower your tire pressures in wet conditions and that's not tire dependent.

If you're specifically wanting wet grip, Vittoria Corsa Controls are tough to beat.
Not really, I was just curious... I decided to give the Strada Pro HTLR's a shot, just ordered them at bike24. I figured Challenge is offering their own sealant which looks (and reads) like it's the Milkit sealant (of which I still have some). At least for their TLR's Challenge seems to be a lot less picky about sealant choice than Veloflex. I assume you are using regular Orange, no? Will Orange sealant also stain the tan-colored sidewalls of the Strada's or is this just an issue with the permeable Velofelx casings?

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

edchristoph wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:54 am

Not really, I was just curious... I decided to give the Strada Pro HTLR's a shot, just ordered them at bike24. I figured Challenge is offering their own sealant which looks (and reads) like it's the Milkit sealant (of which I still have some). At least for their TLR's Challenge seems to be a lot less picky about sealant choice than Veloflex. I assume you are using regular Orange, no? Will Orange sealant also stain the tan-colored sidewalls of the Strada's or is this just an issue with the permeable Velofelx casings?

I have the black sidewall version, but I would bet the tan version won't stain as badly as the Veloflex Corsas. The Veloflex sidewalls would feel sticky to the touch from sealant oozing into them...the Challenge sidewalls don't feel like that.

JWTS

by JWTS

On3 wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 5:34 pm
Hello guys,

I'm looking for a "winter training" tubeless for my winter bike.
Wheelset: Mavic Allroad Elite UB (hookless 22m internal width).

As this is a rim brake frame, I need an actual width at 30mm max. Yksion Allroad 30mm sold with rims are a bit too wide (~31/31,5mm at 4 bars).

As a Schwalbe aficionado, I was highly considering Schwalbe One TLE in 28mm (I'm afraid Schwalbe One TLE 25mm won't be accepted on my wheelset as Mavic says rim is for 28mm tyre at least). Will it fit?

Also, do you have other tubeless that could do the job (30mm max actual width, can be used on hookless rim, not too expensive or too weak to be used on winter training bike)?

Thanks!
Yeah, as mentioned Schwalbe have sized down. I have 700x30's in a 25mm internal hookless rim and they're measuring 31.6 after a lot of use. I feel pretty confidence you'd be fine w/the 28mm ona 22 internal rim.

tanhalt

by tanhalt

edchristoph wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:54 am
TobinHatesYou wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 11:01 am

I'm running Orange Sealed with tan wall Stradas...no evidence of any bleed-through or any "staining" after 700 miles.

edchristoph

by edchristoph

Update on the Challenge Strada Pro's.
Got them deliverd this week. Weight was 264g and 262g, a little bit above the claimed weigth of 255g and ca 40g more than the Corsa Race (220g). But to be fair, given their supposed robustness and longevity they rather compare to the Corsa Evo (250g) which are in the same ballpark.

Mounting the Strada's was definitley a "Challenge" (hahaha). Never before did I have a tire which was similarly difficult to get onto the wheel. The rewarding part with tubless tires, however, is that the more difficult it is to get it mounted the easier you will get it seated. So you have a choice if you want to end up with pain in your thumbs or in your biceps (from endless pumping :D ), but it's a sweaty excercise anyway...

Indeed, they pumped up just with a floor pump, no airshot(s) needed. They even held pressure initially without adding sealant. I always consider this to be a great plus as it allows you to get the tire seated without messing around with sealant and soapy water etc. Adding sealant later on to a properly seated tire through the valve stem is so much less messy.

As this was almost too easy, I decided to make my life more complicated by adding these little bastards into the tires:
20211027_165639.jpg
Many pros where using these at Paris-Roubaix this year. The promise is that you will not bottom out on the rim even in case of a complete (and sudden) loss of air. Plus, they prevent the tire jumping out of the rim bed when loosing air under high load like when descending at high speed. So in summary they give you that gracefull degradation like tubs even in case of a rather catastrophic failure. Fingers corssed I will never need them.

The final result, however, is very appealing both aesthetically and in terms of ride quality.
It's been a while since I used Vittoria Corsa 2.0 TLR, but the Strada's come very close in terms of suppleness.
20211029_101237.jpg
They feel slower than the Veloflex Corsa's, but looking at my times vs watts it's only by a small margin if at all.

MrCurrieinahurry

by MrCurrieinahurry

They looks very bloody nice.... Pic of the whole bike?

Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk

Formerly known as Curryinahurry

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

edchristoph

by edchristoph

MrCurrieinahurry wrote:
Fri Oct 29, 2021 2:42 pm
They looks very bloody nice.... Pic of the whole bike?

Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk
Here you go
Attachments
20211028_131533.jpg