Best Tubeless tires for 2020?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

DaveS

by DaveS

Someone asked about experience with Michelin tubeless. I've had them for several months now on two bikes with Fulcrum Racing 3 wheels that require no rim tape. They ride nicely with the pressure recommend at the ZIPP pressue calculator (62-64 psi). I'm using orange seal endurance. I've had no punctures and don't expect to, since the only problems I've had in the previous two years are pinch flats from running over stray rocks. Running tubeless should greatly reduce the chance of pinch flats.

I had no difficulty mounting the tires, but I did try using a new bead jack. I have an air compressor, so getting the beads to seal was no problem. Once sealant was put in, the tires hold air pressure just as well as any tubed setup. I recently deflated one tire and broke the bead loose on one side with the Fulcrum tire levers that came with the wheels. I wanted to know that I could install a tube, if needed,while on the road. I carry a spare tube, some boot material and two C02 cartridges. FWIW, I've never had to boot a tire in over 30 years.

sl7vk

by sl7vk

DaveS wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 5:52 pm
Someone asked about experience with Michelin tubeless. I've had them for several months now on two bikes with Fulcrum Racing 3 wheels that require no rim tape. They ride nicely with the pressure recommend at the ZIPP pressue calculator (62-64 psi). I'm using orange seal endurance. I've had no punctures and don't expect to, since the only problems I've had in the previous two years are pinch flats from running over stray rocks. Running tubeless should greatly reduce the chance of pinch flats.

I had no difficulty mounting the tires, but I did try using a new bead jack. I have an air compressor, so getting the beads to seal was no problem. Once sealant was put in, the tires hold air pressure just as well as any tubed setup. I recently deflated one tire and broke the bead loose on one side with the Fulcrum tire levers that came with the wheels. I wanted to know that I could install a tube, if needed,while on the road. I carry a spare tube, some boot material and two C02 cartridges. FWIW, I've never had to boot a tire in over 30 years.
Thanks for the feedback!
I'm losing 20 psi a night on both wheels so I must have a leak somewhere. Time to breka out the old homer bucket to find the source....
Also wondering if I have enough sealant in there, or if has all been sucked into the tires.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

DaveS

by DaveS

The michelin tire that looked into after several months had plenty of sealant left. When I first installed the tires, before adding sealant, soapy water showed some air leaking through the sidewalls.

sl7vk

by sl7vk

DaveS wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 2:57 pm
The michelin tire that looked into after several months had plenty of sealant left. When I first installed the tires, before adding sealant, soapy water showed some air leaking through the sidewalls.
That was super interesting. I put my tires in water last night and they were bubbling through the sidewall. Maybe I don't have enough sealant in there. Most of the bubbling was where there was raised lettering on the sidewall interestingly enough.

JasperGr

by JasperGr

Guys I bought the new Schwalbe Pro skinwall tle but one tire is way off the tolerance. It loses 4 bar in 24hr and now it won’t hold the air in it.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

JasperGr wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 6:59 pm
Guys I bought the new Schwalbe Pro skinwall tle but one tire is way off the tolerance. It loses 4 bar in 24hr and now it won’t hold the air in it.

Probably a leak around the valve area TBH. Slosh the sealant around by bouncing/shaking the wheel with the valve stem at 6 o'clock. If it's not that, then you have a crease or rupture in the tape somewhere.

frommel

by frommel

dmetzinger wrote:
I've had success patching cuts like that from the inside - I just use a normal glue-on patch. Maybe 24 hours later I'll put a little super glue where the cut is for a little more protection. Of course that involves a little bit of clean up and effort to remove and reinstall the tire but if the tire's still in good shape and worth saving you'll have a little more peace of mind rather than worrying the plug will fail. Just my .02.
Good tip! Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JasperGr

by JasperGr

TobinHatesYou wrote:
JasperGr wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 6:59 pm

Probably a leak around the valve area TBH. Slosh the sealant around by bouncing/shaking the wheel with the valve stem at 6 o'clock. If it's not that, then you have a crease or rupture in the tape somewhere.
Thanks for the response. With a gp5000 or vittoria Corsa I didn’t had this problem. The tire is seated in the rim but there is still sealant poring from one side of the tire. The other side is not leaking.

JasperGr

by JasperGr

Just mounted my old GP5000 tl and it popped just with the floorpump and without sealant so it is definitely the schwalbe tolerance which is incorrect

rudye9mr

by rudye9mr

Anyone got corsa control 2 to seal up?

Finding casing falls flat which makes it hard for air to push bead to rim for seal...

bjarnetv

by bjarnetv

i got some 25mm pro one skinwalls recently.
IMG_6172.JPG
they were super easy to set up - could pull them on without any troubles, and they pumped up right away with a floor pump.
keeps the air very good!

cant wait to try them out outside!

warthog101

by warthog101

Well put my first gp5000tl on this morning.
Front fusion 5 has been going flat slowly.
Did it on this morning's ride but I made it home without touching it.
Got home and found a piece of quartz embeded in the tyre.
Flicked it out with a sharp knife.
The 30-40ml of sealant I put in had dried out I found on removing the tyre.
Prob could have put more sealant in and remounted the tyre.
I threw it out and put the Conti on.
Went on my Prime rr v3 50mm by hand with no real difficulty.
Seated with my old track pump.
Happy with that :) will see how it goes ;)

ichobi

by ichobi

Any comment on the pro one tt? I ride on mostly good road almost always and they are sold here for cheaper than a pair of gp5000.

zaykay

by zaykay

bjarnetv wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:03 pm
i got some 25mm pro one skinwalls recently.
IMG_6172.JPG

they were super easy to set up - could pull them on without any troubles, and they pumped up right away with a floor pump.
keeps the air very good!

cant wait to try them out outside!
So are these new transparent sidewall Pro One's already tested for rolling resistance somewhere?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

CR987

by CR987

I bought the Cadex tubeless tyres. They are so loose and completely failed to get them seated. You can get them on and off the rim with one hand they are so loose.
I have been messing with tubeless tyres for 4 years now and I have a compressor but I had to give up after 2 hours