Best Tubeless tires for 2020?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

yingyu

by yingyu

Can hookless rims slice tires (that aren't blown off)?

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

spdntrxi wrote:
Tue Apr 05, 2022 9:06 pm

Correct statement...

I'm changing my recommendation to 5000 S TR slightly over ProOne TT .. all my flats a sealing but damn.... :) Apologies to all the wheelsuckers.

If Vittoria makes a 28mm corsaspeed, I'm going there.

Lol yeah. I had 18 punctures with one Pro One TT. Never again. Clearly a fast tire, but they're dangerously puncture prone.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

5000 S TR's puncture protection is far below that of the 5000 TL. Since switching over I've had two sealant showers from the rear tire, whereas I've worn out a ton of the TLs without a single sealant shower. Both punctures were sealed. Tire life is also about 50% less. I guess that's the price to pay for saving a bit of weight.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

pdlpsher1 wrote:
Wed Apr 06, 2022 4:51 am
5000 S TR's puncture protection is far below that of the 5000 TL. Since switching over I've had two sealant showers from the rear tire, whereas I've worn out a ton of the TLs without a single sealant shower. Both punctures were sealed. Tire life is also about 50% less. I guess that's the price to pay for saving a bit of weight.

I'm at 2250mi on my rear 25mm tire and there's still plenty of life left in the tire. I should get >3000mi, and IMO that's amazing for that width ridden as hard as they have been. I did have my first major sealant shower today, but I've been riding at 100psi. The tire only went down to 95psi, so I call that a win.

"Road tubeless just doesn't work."

warthog101

by warthog101

TobinHatesYou wrote:

I'm at 2250mi on my rear 25mm tire and there's still plenty of life left in the tire. I should get >3000mi, and IMO that's amazing for that width ridden as hard as they have been. I did have my first major sealant shower today, but I've been riding at 100psi. The tire only went down to 95psi, so I call that a win.

That is good mileage.
How much do you weigh?

One day they might come down in price and I might buy them again.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Wed Apr 06, 2022 5:07 am
pdlpsher1 wrote:

I'm comparing tubeless against tubeless. 5000 TL is a tubeless only tire. I went from 5000 non-TL to 5000 TL to 5000 S TR. I wouldn't go back to 5000 non-TL but I do miss the durability and long life of the TL.

warthog101

by warthog101

I am still on TL. Yes, I wish they were still made and reasonably priced.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

pdlpsher1 wrote:
Wed Apr 06, 2022 5:35 am
TobinHatesYou wrote:
Wed Apr 06, 2022 5:07 am
pdlpsher1 wrote:

I'm comparing tubeless against tubeless. 5000 TL is a tubeless only tire. I went from 5000 non-TL to 5000 TL to 5000 S TR. I wouldn't go back to 5000 non-TL but I do miss the durability and long life of the TL.

My quip at the end wasn't meant for you, just the usual posters who haven't tried tubeless or ignored advice and had one bad experience years ago.

card0s

by card0s

So, I am doing some research to replace my blown rear FMB Cobbles and the still good front FMB Flanders.
The new Michelin Power Cup TLR seems to be a good candidate, though there are no real reviews yet nor stock available anywhere.
I guess the Continental GP5000 S TR would also good be a good candidate?
For reference, I prefer the tan wall versions.

scapewalker

by scapewalker

Has anyone seen corsa speeds for sale in Europe?
Been checking the major retailers the past 2 months and have only ever seen the tubular version for sale.

warthog101

by warthog101

Any chance of changing the thread title to "best tubeless road tyres"?

What are people using that rolls well, is durable, and reasonably priced?
The GP5KTL used to fit the bill.
The replacement is the price of a car tyre in Aus.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

warthog101 wrote:
Wed Apr 06, 2022 11:57 pm
Any chance of changing the thread title to "best tubeless road tyres"?

What are people using that rolls well, is durable, and reasonably priced?
The GP5KTL used to fit the bill.
The replacement is the price of a car tyre in Aus.

Nothing beats American Classic Timekeepers for the price regardless of how well they roll. You may be able to find stuff like Hutchinson Fusion 5 11Storm on sale, but in terms of MSRP, it's hard to beat US$45 for a tubeless tire (they raised the price by $10.)

Otherwise, Schwalbe Pro One TLE Addix are good at everything, just not the best at anything...and usually on sale for much less than GP5K S TRs.

warthog101

by warthog101

TobinHatesYou wrote:

Nothing beats American Classic Timekeepers for the price regardless of how well they roll. You may be able to find stuff like Hutchinson Fusion 5 11Storm on sale, but in terms of MSRP, it's hard to beat US$45 for a tubeless tire (they raised the price by $10.)

Otherwise, Schwalbe Pro One TLE Addix are good at everything, just not the best at anything...and usually on sale for much less than GP5K S TRs.
Thanks.
Might see if I can get hold of some AC tyres then.
Had a bad run from Hutchinson Fusion 5. Multiple tyres and the tread blistered on all of them.

Edit. Had a quick google. Might be hard to buy until some of the UK based bike stores get hold of them.
Pro one tle then perhaps.

SCJKJ

by SCJKJ

scapewalker wrote:
Wed Apr 06, 2022 11:32 pm
Has anyone seen corsa speeds for sale in Europe?
Been checking the major retailers the past 2 months and have only ever seen the tubular version for sale.
I've also been searching really hard. Eventually I found a small Dutch shop which had a really bad webshop who still had one of the 25mm version in stock. The 23mm can't be found except for 2 or 3 scalpers on Ebay who ask 3-4 times the regular price.

Some stores like Mantel(in The Netherlands) update the 'expected delivery'(for the store itself) and now it's the week of the 18th to the 24th of April. However, 4 weeks ago it said it would be delivered 4 weeks earlier. So it keeps updating and being postponed.

I've also mailed Vittoria directly and the person responding could just say they were working hard to make it available, whatever that means. Could be it's the only thing they're allowed to say.

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

Vittoria are also releasing a new hookless compatible Corsa tyre later this year, hopefully circa 250g, not their normal 290g.

Speeds should be in the UK late April.
SL8 S-Works Project Black - 6.29kg
IG: RhinosWorkshop

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com