Best Tubeless tires for 2020?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

George46GR

by George46GR

Today I installed my Vittoria Corsa Speed 25 mm on my Farsports 35 mm wheels (19mm internal width, 26 mm external width, no spoke holes). I am going to participate a TT race this Saturday, so I thought its a nice opportunity to check their claimed low rolling resistance.

Rediculusly easy to intall, a nightmare to make them sit in the tyre bead. I did not manage to make them sit no matter the "tricks" I used. I finally visited my nearest car-tyre shop, where I made them sit with a single air blast ... and ... "POP" ... immediately.

Have you also faced difficulties during installation? I then added some sealant (50 ml approximately) and they seem to hold air very well. Would you susggst me to also use them the next day after the TT race, when a longer endurance race will take place (80 km, 7 loops, up and down, 1500 m of elevation) ? Or is it better to go back to my Schwalbe Pro Pne super race?

Thank you !
2023 Cervelo S5, size 56, sapphire/ice

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tanhalt

by tanhalt

George46GR wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:44 pm
Today I installed my Vittoria Corsa Speed 25 mm on my Farsports 35 mm wheels (19mm internal width, 26 mm external width, no spoke holes). I am going to participate a TT race this Saturday, so I thought its a nice opportunity to check their claimed low rolling resistance.

Rediculusly easy to intall, a nightmare to make them sit in the tyre bead. I did not manage to make them sit no matter the "tricks" I used. I finally visited my nearest car-tyre shop, where I made them sit with a single air blast ... and ... "POP" ... immediately.

Have you also faced difficulties during installation? I then added some sealant (50 ml approximately) and they seem to hold air very well. Would you susggst me to also use them the next day after the TT race, when a longer endurance race will take place (80 km, 7 loops, up and down, 1500 m of elevation) ? Or is it better to go back to my Schwalbe Pro Pne super race?

Thank you !
I take it no tape (since there's no spoke holes)?

Ironically, since the tires were easy to put on the rim, but didn't want to "pop" onto the bead shelf, typically my suggestion would be to add a layer (or two) of rim tape to fix that. You could still try that, but sort of defeats the purpose of no spoke holes, huh?

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Another trick is to install a tube, inflate, then unseat just one side to remove the tube. Or just get a floor pump with a booster, an AirShot or a compressor...

I would ride Corsa Speeds in a road race unless the surface has sharp looking potholes or debris. I rode my Corsa Speeds in an urban/suburban setting for the last 2 months. They only punctured once (sealed instantly) and I ran the rear tire until chunks of the center tread started to go missing.

Aryeh

by Aryeh

Switched back to ENVE tires from the new tan Pro Ones's after both my tires got flats that wouldn't seal and they were also terrible at holding air.

tanhalt

by tanhalt

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:25 am
Another trick is to install a tube, inflate, then unseat just one side to remove the tube.
Yeah, that's one of my go-to tricks too...

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

There is a Corsa Speed thread in the road forum. I posted my experience there. Basically, easy to instal, seated with my AirShot, and hold air beautifully from day one. About 600 km so far and not a mark on them. Anyone that runs tubeless really should have an AirShot or similar. Putting tape on rims with no holes just seems wrong to me.

And hell ya, I would race them on any decent surface. Great tires.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

George46GR

by George46GR

Thanks to all of you guys. I do own a ToPeak pump with an air blaster but I did not manage to make them sit. Next time I will try the inner tube trick. I would like to avoid the extra rim tape since the rim bed has no spoke holes in order to avoid the rim tape.
The endurance race (dry conditions, hot weather, almost 30 deegres centigrade), is up and down, with an uphill and then a descend. What do you think? Should I trust the Corsas Speed at descends? Some people have critesized their general grip. Thank you.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

I believe the grip concerns were on wet roads, and those concerns may even be related to the first version of the tire. Grip in the dry is more then adequate. My experience with 2.0 graphene compound on my regular Corsa's is that those tires have the best wet traction of any tire ever (insane high speed descent in torrential pouring rain - Blockhaus, Italy). No idea if the 2.0 Corsa Speeds are in any way comparable as I have never had them on wet roads.

Bottom line, IMO Corsa Speeds are good for any situation as long as the surface is good and maybe dry as well.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

George46GR

by George46GR

Today I run my first (ever) endurance race. No issues at all with the Vittoria Corsa Speed tyre (installed on the front wheel, tubeless setup).
The weather was dry, 25-30 deegres centigrade, and the tarmac was from just okay to very very bad at many points. No issues at all. No problem with grip nor with cornering. Everything went very well.
But after the two races [yesterday we had the TT race which I run with Corsas Speed installed (tubeless) front and rear (on a nore aero rear wheel)], I will go back to my Schwalbe Pro One Super Race for my everyday/training use. I will store the Corsas for the race days to come, he he. Thank you all for your kind advise.

Hexsense

by Hexsense

Mr.Gib wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:46 pm
I believe the grip concerns were on wet roads, and those concerns may even be related to the first version of the tire. Grip in the dry is more then adequate.
Even if the compound is as grippy, there is still simply less center tread width to grip on the road when cornering.
Stats:
Vittoria Corsa Speed G2.0 's center tread cover 35.7% of the casing width.
Vittoria Corsa G2.0 's center tread cover 44.9% of the casing width.
Vittoria Corsa Control G2.0 's center tread cover 48.6% of the casing width.

Due to the construction of these Vittoria, the center tread stick on top of the casing. When it is less wide, there're simply less center tread to touch the road. But don't worry about cornering on side wall. The height change between casing that is covered by the center tread vs nothing, is significant so it is not that easy to roll on the sidewall and damage it.

samarskyrider

by samarskyrider

Does anyone know if there are tubeless tires similar to Conti GP 4 Season (puncture protection, etc.) Continental has not released tubeless version yet and I'm looking for a replacement

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

samarskyrider wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:02 am
Does anyone know if there are tubeless tires similar to Conti GP 4 Season (puncture protection, etc.) Continental has not released tubeless version yet and I'm looking for a replacement

Goodyear Vector 4Seasons has a bead-to-bead puncture protection layer.

CustomMetal

by CustomMetal

samarskyrider wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:02 am

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pirelli cinturato velo 👌
Allegra- Steel Lugs TBC
Aurelia- Stainless All Road 8.5kg
Bertha- TT 9.8kg
Perdita- Ti Turbo bike 8kg
Serenity- Ti Gravel 9.5kg/8.9kg
Verity- Ti Aero 8.2kg
Alya- Ti Climbing TBC

All weights with pedals,cages & garmin mount

TwiggyForest

by TwiggyForest

Options for tan / skinwall tubeless tyres? I currently run GP5000 so would be looking at a similar style tyre.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Aryeh

by Aryeh

TwiggyForest wrote:Options for tan / skinwall tubeless tyres? I currently run GP5000 so would be looking at a similar style tyre.
Schwalbe Pro One has a transparent option and so does ENVE SES, the Schwalbe has bettee rolling resistance but I like the ENVE better because it holds air much better than the Schwalbe and gets less flats.