Best Tubeless tires for 2020?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Aryeh

by Aryeh

Mr.Gib wrote:The tire pressure guides that various manufacturers provide are a good starting point. My approach has been to set the tire pressure as low as I can without the tire deforming too much during hard cornering. Granted it takes take some skill and experience to understand what too much tire deformation feels like. You can also thrash the bike back and forth out of the saddle at a low speed and monitor the front tire. if it is squishing and squirming all over the place than add some air.

A couple of things to remember are that going for low pressures is all about comfort and will be a bit slower on good surfaces, and the lower you go, the more likely you are to pinch flat even if the pressure is completely adequate in all other regards.

Of course total tire volume is the biggest determinant. 40 - 60 psi is a big range. 60 psi can work if you are not too big, but 40 psi would be a problem for most riders, especially for a 25mm tire, even one the measures 28mm on the rim.

I did a ton of testing a couple of years ago in preparation for an event that demanded maximum comfort, and found that at my weight of 76kg, I could not go below 60psi on an actual measure 30 - 31mm and 65psi was better. No punctures or pinch flats over 2000 km of nothing but nasty climbing and descending over 10 days on the shittiest roads anywhere in Europe. While this is with regular clinchers and latex inner tubes, my tests with tubless arrived at the same optimal pressures.
I'm running 28mm tires with measured width of 30 at 55psi front and 60 rear.
It feels fine down to like 45psi but I'm worried about reduced rolling resistance.
I weigh 64kg.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mriddle

by mriddle

The Veloflex website notes that they don't recommend Orange Seal for tan wall tires.
Anyone know what the issue is?

They sell Joe's products but recommend several others such as Stans, Orange and Mavic.

Thanks!

Smultie

by Smultie

Aryeh wrote:
Mr.Gib wrote:The tire pressure guides that various manufacturers provide are a good starting point. My approach has been to set the tire pressure as low as I can without the tire deforming too much during hard cornering. Granted it takes take some skill and experience to understand what too much tire deformation feels like. You can also thrash the bike back and forth out of the saddle at a low speed and monitor the front tire. if it is squishing and squirming all over the place than add some air.

A couple of things to remember are that going for low pressures is all about comfort and will be a bit slower on good surfaces, and the lower you go, the more likely you are to pinch flat even if the pressure is completely adequate in all other regards.

Of course total tire volume is the biggest determinant. 40 - 60 psi is a big range. 60 psi can work if you are not too big, but 40 psi would be a problem for most riders, especially for a 25mm tire, even one the measures 28mm on the rim.

I did a ton of testing a couple of years ago in preparation for an event that demanded maximum comfort, and found that at my weight of 76kg, I could not go below 60psi on an actual measure 30 - 31mm and 65psi was better. No punctures or pinch flats over 2000 km of nothing but nasty climbing and descending over 10 days on the shittiest roads anywhere in Europe. While this is with regular clinchers and latex inner tubes, my tests with tubless arrived at the same optimal pressures.
It feels fine down to like 45psi but I'm worried about reduced rolling resistance.
I weigh 64kg.
Why would you worry about reduced rolling resistance?

Aryeh

by Aryeh

Smultie wrote:
Aryeh wrote:

I weigh 64kg.
More watts to go the same speed.

Smultie

by Smultie

Aryeh wrote:
Smultie wrote:
Aryeh wrote:

I weigh 64kg.
You mean increased resistance?

Aryeh

by Aryeh

Smultie wrote:
Aryeh wrote:
Smultie wrote:
Aryeh wrote:I'm running 28mm tires with measured width of 30 at 55psi front and 60 rear.
I weigh 64kg.
Yes. Lower tire pressure = higher rolling resistance = more power to keep the wheels rolling.

Smultie

by Smultie

Aryeh wrote:
Smultie wrote:
Aryeh wrote:
Smultie wrote:Why would you worry about reduced rolling resistance?
Yes. Lower tire pressure = higher rolling resistance = more power to keep the wheels rolling.
You don't get it, do you?
You initially said you were worried about reduced rolling resistance.
Reduced rolling resistance is a good thing, you shouldn't be worried about.

It's increased rolling resistance you should be worried about!

Aryeh

by Aryeh

Smultie wrote:
Aryeh wrote:
Smultie wrote:
Aryeh wrote:More watts to go the same speed.
You don't get it, do you?
You initially said you were worried about reduced rolling resistance.
Reduced rolling resistance is a good thing, you shouldn't be worried about.

It's increased rolling resistance you should be worried about!
I checked back. You're right!
My words were wrong!

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

mriddle wrote:
Sun Jan 31, 2021 3:15 pm
The Veloflex website notes that they don't recommend Orange Seal for tan wall tires.

They sell Joe's products but recommend several others such as Stans, Orange and Mavic.

Thanks!

The issue is Orange Seal is orange and will stain the casing as it weeps through. I don’t think this is worse than any other sealant though. The color of the sealant wasn’t the issue, rather the fact that the sidewalls were damp/sticky all the time and attracting dirt/grime.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 1:47 am
mriddle wrote:
Sun Jan 31, 2021 3:15 pm

Thanks!

The issue is Orange Seal is orange and will stain the casing as it weeps through. I don’t think this is worse than any other sealant though. The color of the sealant wasn’t the issue, rather the fact that the sidewalls were damp/sticky all the time and attracting dirt/grime.
So do any of the supple cloth tubeless tires actually keep the sealant on the inside of the tire? I really like my various Vittoria clinchers but as they wear out I would like to go tubeless. Stuff like damp and sticky sidewalls is not very appealling regardless of colour. Starting to think I just won't beat regular Corsas with latex inner tubes.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

aeroisnteverything

by aeroisnteverything

Mr.Gib wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 5:17 am

So do any of the supple cloth tubeless tires actually keep the sealant on the inside of the tire? I really like my various Vittoria clinchers but as they wear out I would like to go tubeless. Stuff like damp and sticky sidewalls is not very appealling regardless of colour. Starting to think I just won't beat regular Corsas with latex inner tubes.
yes, Vittoria Corsas do not weep any sealant at all. Good tyre, apart from a relatively disappointing RR.

emotive

by emotive

Mr.Gib wrote:So do any of the supple cloth tubeless tires actually keep the sealant on the inside of the tire? I really like my various Vittoria clinchers but as they wear out I would like to go tubeless. Stuff like damp and sticky sidewalls is not very appealling regardless of colour. Starting to think I just won't beat regular Corsas with latex inner tubes.
The Rene Herse Extralight tyres that I have set up tubeless with Orange Seal do change to a slightly darker tan colour as a result of the sealant, see below. Left was tubeless, right was tuned. No sticky sidewalls though.

aeroisnteverything

by aeroisnteverything

Just noticed that on Hutchison's website, the Galactik tyres seem to have disappeared. https://cycling.hutchinson.com/tires/road/

What do we make of this? An imminent update?

Aryeh

by Aryeh

If anyone was wondering, this is what the transparent skin Schwalbe Pro ones look like outdoorsImage

bcmf

by bcmf

Anyone got any ideas when the 'tan' sidewall Goodyears will be hitting the shops?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com