Best Tubeless tires for 2020?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

zero71

by zero71

Thanks Rudy. I think I'll give it a try with the GP5000TL. If it doesn't work then I'll put the tyres away for a future set of wheels.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

card0s

by card0s

I am about to order a wheelset. Rims are 30mm wide external and 24mm internal wide with no spoke holes.
I intend to run them tubeless and I love tan walls.
From what I have read on this and others threads, I have kind of narrowed my choice down to Schwalbe Pro One TLE. I would love Vittoria Corsa, but I don't think they come in TLR and tan walls.
Recently I found about FMB tyres, that now come in TLR and are tan, but there is very low to no feedback available.
What do you think of these two choices?
Other alternatives to consider? (I didn't choose Veloflex due to the very mixed feedback I have seen - "leaking" sidewalls, durability, etc.)

Thanks in advance

Mcdeez

by Mcdeez

rudye9mr wrote:Set up fulcrum 40 db TL ...hutchinson tlr 28mm...worked well for first 3000km...then used tube...

Vittoria corsa control 28mm ...could not get these to be TL...so running conti race tubes...no complaints.....this combo is more compliant than the hutchinsons fusion storm tlr...just some ideas
What was the problem with Hutchinsons?

I have them and they are fine for now,500+kms

andreas

by andreas

card0s wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 2:09 pm
I am about to order a wheelset. Rims are 30mm wide external and 24mm internal wide with no spoke holes.
I intend to run them tubeless and I love tan walls.
From what I have read on this and others threads, I have kind of narrowed my choice down to Schwalbe Pro One TLE. I would love Vittoria Corsa, but I don't think they come in TLR and tan walls.
Recently I found about FMB tyres, that now come in TLR and are tan, but there is very low to no feedback available.
What do you think of these two choices?
Other alternatives to consider? (I didn't choose Veloflex due to the very mixed feedback I have seen - "leaking" sidewalls, durability, etc.)

Thanks in advance
Challenge Paris-Roubaix TLR or Strada TLR are some options. They lose around 0.5 bar overnight for me, on the same rim tape and valves that kept my GP5000TL virtually air tight for weeks.

card0s

by card0s

andreas wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 5:26 pm
Challenge Paris-Roubaix TLR or Strada TLR are some options. They lose around 0.5 bar overnight for me, on the same rim tape and valves that kept my GP5000TL virtually air tight for weeks.
And are you happy with them? (apart from the pressure loss)

andreas

by andreas

I guess so, but tbh my experiences with tires have proven to be not transferrable to other people here - f.ex. to me GP5000TL feels great, and I don't really feel any difference on cotton/supposedly plusher tires.

I'm running them at 5bar/5.3bar on Roval CLX50 (pressure calculated according to the zipp calculator).

I purchased them mostly to get the widest possible tan wall TL tires that still adhered the 105% rule (they measure around 28mm on my rims).

card0s

by card0s

In the end, I ordered FMB Flanders for the front and Cobbles for the back.
They were still expensive, but cheaper than the Challenge's.

matteof93

by matteof93

Is there anybody who knows the width of Hutchinson Fusion 5 tubeless ready (25mm version) on rims with a 19mm inner width? Is it close to the nominal width?

bobones

by bobones

matteof93 wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 3:04 pm
Is there anybody who knows the width of Hutchinson Fusion 5 tubeless ready (25mm version) on rims with a 19mm inner width? Is it close to the nominal width?
Yes, the Fusion 5s don't ballon to massive sizes on wide rims. I have a few sets of All Season and Performance on 19 and 18.5 mm internal rims and I think they measure around 26 mm. They're no problem to fit under the mudguards on my winter bike whereas other 25 mm tyres have measured 28-29 mm on the same rims.

rudye9mr

by rudye9mr

Mcdeez wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 2:59 pm
rudye9mr wrote:Set up fulcrum 40 db TL ...hutchinson tlr 28mm...worked well for first 3000km...then used tube...

Vittoria corsa control 28mm ...could not get these to be TL...so running conti race tubes...no complaints.....this combo is more compliant than the hutchinsons fusion storm tlr...just some ideas
What was the problem with Hutchinsons?

I have them and they are fine for now,500+kms
No issues with TLR 11 storm...worked well for 3000km tubeless...then went tube...tyres had multiple cuts from glass, road debris etc...decided to try the Controls as ppl reported it being more supple and I'd agree with this...

Andrew69

by Andrew69

DaveS wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 2:57 pm
The michelin tire that looked into after several months had plenty of sealant left. When I first installed the tires, before adding sealant, soapy water showed some air leaking through the sidewalls.
I just converted a pair of DT Swiss ERC 1400 to tubeless with Schwalbe Pro One TLE tyres and because I had a very small puncture (with tube) a couple of weeks ago, I put them in some water to see where the previous puncture was to make sure it sealed and I found both tyres had sections where the air is leaking through the sidewalls.
Doesnt exactly inspire confidence in either the tyres or the tubeless process.
Currently have the bike on its side and slowly spinning the wheels every so often to try and spread the orange seal all around and hopefully seal the sidewalls

rudye9mr

by rudye9mr

Same exp with older schwalbe tubeless from day1...never tried it again..had better luck with IRC and Hutchinson wrt TLRs

Oms

by Oms

matteof93 wrote:

Fusion 5 Galactik - 700x25:
229g each (measured).
They come up to about 26mm at 80psi. The sidewall has a very round profile though.
Yet to ride them (still waiting for my frame).

I've got 25mm GP5000s TLRs on a 17mm ID rim - definitely come out narrower, the sidewalls seem a lot straighter. Obviously the rim ID is different, but noticed the sidewall doesn't bulge as much. Less than a year old (2500 miles) and the sidewalls have cracks all over them. Tread is fine, but what's the point if the rest of the tyre doesn't hold up?

Andrew69

by Andrew69

rudye9mr wrote:
Sat May 22, 2021 8:10 pm
Same exp with older schwalbe tubeless from day1...never tried it again..had better luck with IRC and Hutchinson wrt TLRs
Yeah its a shame because I rode them this morning for a bit over 80ks and they are ride really, really nicely.
I actually surprised the difference in ride quality between running tubeless and with tubes (same pressure)

Pressure dropped 40 psi overnight (60 down to 20) so that is concerning that if I dont remember to reinflate daily the tyres could come off the rim and possibly spill sealant everywhere. Wife would not be happy about that

knightskid

by knightskid

matteof93 wrote:
am currently on Hutchinson Fusion 5 11storm Performance 25mm setup as tubeless, measured 26.5mm for 18.5mm inner width.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com