Best Tubeless tires for 2020?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

romanmoser

by romanmoser

I am curious about ecological impact of this
Read their website few lines about it , saw the video but yes still perplex even with the epoxy resin removed

Reds

by Reds

Hello,
I want to test the tire Enve SES Road , do you have a review on it ?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

romanmoser

by romanmoser

good trainin tire
durable
punctur proof
not the most supple
not that fast

Jackofallgrades

by Jackofallgrades

Does anyone have a view on an option that is as good feel-wise as Vittoria Corsas? I love them but wonder if Specialized 2Bliss or Michelin Power Cup might match the feel whilst rolling faster?
Cannondale SSEvo3 'Atticus' - 7.2kg
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=161634

Cannondale Systemsix ’Dante’ - 7.7kg
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=167144

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Jackofallgrades wrote:
Mon Mar 28, 2022 6:05 pm
Does anyone have a view on an option that is as good feel-wise as Vittoria Corsas? I love them but wonder if Specialized 2Bliss or Michelin Power Cup might match the feel whilst rolling faster?
Vittoria Corsas, despite their quality control issues, are still the best overall cotton casing tubeless tires out there. The regular 4C compound is proven to be a little slower than the competition, they soak up sealant and you can't see the cotton under the extra rubber coating, but the ride quality is only rivaled by the nylon-casing Challenge Strada Pro in my experience. Those tires are much harder to mount, have less grip and soak up even more sealant.

During the race season, I'll be on GP5K S TR tires. During the winter season, I'll be on Challenge Strada Pros.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Is it me or did the American Classic Timekeeper option on BRR Pro get deleted with quite a few votes only to be replaced by a new listing with no votes? Lame.

MrRolandos

by MrRolandos

What would the best training/road race tire these days? I've been running Pirelli's P zero TLR mostly, but the price and available of this tire has been pretty bad lately. Looking for new options, perhaps hutchinson fusion 5 TLR?

card0s

by card0s

This is the state of my rear FMB Cobbles TLR after it blew out while descending at ~76km/h :shock:
Managed not to fall to the ground somehow.
The tire had only ~750kms on it.

CyclingGiraffe

by CyclingGiraffe

MrRolandos wrote:
Mon Apr 04, 2022 10:19 am
What would the best training/road race tire these days? I've been running Pirelli's P zero TLR mostly, but the price and available of this tire has been pretty bad lately. Looking for new options, perhaps hutchinson fusion 5 TLR?
I am new to road tubeless, but when a pair of Mavic Ksyrium Pro Carbon SLs I purchased a couple months ago had the Yksion Pro II UST tires pre-mounted, I thought I'd give them a try. I liked them well enough that when I did a new build, with Fulcrum Speed 40 wheels, I decided to go tubeless. With the great deals on Hutchinson Fusion 5 TLR tires at Excel (at one point 2 for $49.99, now maybe slightly higher), and their similarity to the Yksion Pro II tires I had good experience with, I figured that I'd give them a shot. I'm using a Fusion 5 Performance 28 in the rear, with a Fusion 5 Galactik 25 in the front. I've got about 500 miles on the new build (with the Hutchinsons) over the past month, and so far, so good. I've also got close to 900 miles on the Yksion Pro II USTs with no problems either. I don't think they are the most supple tires (previously used Conti 5000 with latex tubes, and before that Vittoria Open Corsa CX), but once I got used to lower pressures (I'm running 70psi rear, 80psi front), they are comfortable enough. They seem to grip at least as well as the Conti 5000 tires, and so far, the rubber compound seems durable (only one small cut in the tread on the rear and no flats so far *knock on wood* whereas the Contis would get many small cuts over time). I know the Hutchinsons may not test the fastest in rolling resistance, but I feel like various road surface and other conditions (like the 22mph headwinds we had this past weekend!) more or less nullify those minute savings for my purposes, and I worry more about grip, given that I often ride wet, hilly roads of varying surfaces. Some people have had issues with tread bubbling, but I've not seen any indication of that yet in my limited experience with them. Hutchinson manufactured the Mavic Yksion Pro II UST tires and the upper-end (made in France) Pirelli bike tires, too, though I understand that Pirelli is looking to shift manufacture to their own plant in Italy.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

card0s wrote:
Mon Apr 04, 2022 3:57 pm
This is the state of my rear FMB Cobbles TLR after it blew out while descending at ~76km/h :shock:

https://dgtzuqphqg23d.cloudfront.net/cz ... 6x2048.jpg

I'll just reiterate that the only "open tubular" / non-vulcanized tubeless tires I trust on are the Challenge Pro H-TLR level tires and the Vittoria Corsa family.

I knew this would happen and I haven't even tried the tire for myself.

yingyu

by yingyu

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Tue Apr 05, 2022 4:29 am
card0s wrote:

I'll just reiterate that the only "open tubular" / non-vulcanized tubeless tires I trust on are the Challenge Pro H-TLR level tires and the Vittoria Corsa family.

Enve specifically doesn't recommend Challenge clinchers and Vittoria Corsa non-tubeless clinchers. https://cyclingtips.com/2019/03/enve-co ... -failures/

But Challenge blames Enve's non-ETRTO hook design being too sharp. https://cyclingindustry.news/challenge- ... ers-tyres/

card0s

by card0s

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Tue Apr 05, 2022 4:29 am
card0s wrote:

Thanks for the link for the other post, I had no idea of that additional protective strip on some other brands.
For reference, I am using a Farsports wheelset, with their gravel rim - 30mm external, 24mm

For the moment I have put a clincher in it while I wait for the new Michelin Power Cup tubeless tires to be in stock.

jekyll man

by jekyll man

MrRolandos wrote:
Mon Apr 04, 2022 10:19 am
I've just gone the other way- been running fusion 5 storms through the winter, and now on pzero's.

They're very different tyres.
I've probably put a good 2000+ miles, mainly uk Peak District roads which are shocking and gritty) on the Hutchinson's, no problems with them. Stayed inflated for long periods without need for an air top up, not felt sketchy on the road, and haven't cut up.
They're pretty dead and draggy to ride though. I've not binned them off, they'll go back on in the late autumn.

The time spent on the Pirelli's is a lot less but they feel at least 2 grades up in ride quality, rolling well and grippy enough. Time will tell how long they hold up before needing replacement as they were a tw&t to get here.
Official cafe stop tester

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

yingyu wrote:
Tue Apr 05, 2022 8:33 am

Enve specifically doesn't recommend Challenge clinchers and Vittoria Corsa non-tubeless clinchers. https://cyclingtips.com/2019/03/enve-co ... -failures/

But Challenge blames Enve's non-ETRTO hook design being too sharp. https://cyclingindustry.news/challenge- ... ers-tyres/

It should be made clear that Challenge tubeless tires have reinforcement over the bead and lower portion of the sidewall.

Also I've seen plenty of "open tubular" clinchers and tubeless sliced open on non-ENVE rims, including everyone's favorite Campy Boras.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Tue Apr 05, 2022 5:47 pm
yingyu wrote:
Tue Apr 05, 2022 8:33 am

It should be made clear that Challenge tubeless tires have reinforcement over the bead and lower portion of the sidewall.

Also I've seen plenty of "open tubular" clinchers and tubeless sliced open on non-ENVE rims, including everyone's favorite Campy Boras.
Correct statement...

I'm changing my recommendation to 5000 S TR slightly over ProOne TT .. all my flats a sealing but damn.... :) Apologies to all the wheelsuckers.

If Vittoria makes a 28mm corsaspeed, I'm going there.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package