Best Tubeless tires for 2020?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

tanhalt

by tanhalt

George46GR wrote:
Tue Oct 05, 2021 9:19 pm
Hello, does anybody have experience with the Challenge Strada Pro HTLR 25 or 27 mm ?
I've been riding a pair of the 27mm version on my road bike for ~2 months/~550 miles (890km) now. They measured out at 27.5mm on a 20mm internal width rim initially (I haven't measured recently).

In my roller testing, the rolled similar to a 23c Conti GP4000, or about 1.5W/tire at 30 kph slower than a Conti GP5000TL 32c tire. So, pretty good overall.

I didn't have much issue mounting them on a Boyd Altamont rim, but I used the trick/technique of seating them with a tube inside first, and then breaking the bead on one side only to remove the tube and insert the tubeless valve. Intially getting the beads on the rim was sort of difficult...but, I have a lot of experience mounting the "flat" Challenge casings so I've learned a thing or 2 that helps. IIRC, I used my KoolStop bead jack tool to get the last section of bead up and over the rim sidewall.

Ride-wise, they're very nice. My impression is of a more "muted" feel (less road buzz) than the larger GP5000TLs that were on there previously. With appropriately low pressures, the cornering grip seems good, although the file tread texture tends to create a bit of a "squirming" sound when really pushed over in a turn, which can be a bit disconcerting. The Contis were dead silent under similar conditions.

Just my 2 centavos

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tanhalt

by tanhalt

ryanw wrote:
Wed Oct 06, 2021 6:51 am
I have them in 40c for my gravel bike and they are very well made. Not the lightest but feel super supple in hand.
They have a large surface area of tread too (small sidewalls), so you should be really able to lwan these in.
I believe you're referring to the Strada Bianca model, and not the Strada model (which was being asked about), since the latter doesn't come in 40c, only the former. The main difference being, besides the size, is that the Strada Bianca model has a second Puncture Protection Strip (PPS) on the inside of the casing, whereas the Strada has just the single PPS between the tread cap and the casing (which the Bianca has as well). That 2nd strip should add a bit of extra rolling resistance over the Strada model.

tanhalt

by tanhalt

nm

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

George46GR wrote:
Wed Oct 06, 2021 9:31 pm

I really look forward to hearing for your test ride review !!!
Ride feel is good, though I think Vittoria Corsa G2.0s beat them by a hair. The main issue with Vittoria is QC, and as far as I can tell, all five Challenge Stradas I bought are immaculate. So Vittoria > Challenge > Veloflex in terms of ride quality. Challenge > Veloflex > Vittoria in terms of QC. I suspect durability will be Challenge > Vittoria >>> Veloflex.

Can't really quantify the grip, but I have high cornering confidence with these. That's true of all the tires mentioned above. Once inflated, the cross-section of the tire is slightly bullet shaped instead of perfectly circular. Rolling resistance...the 25mm Stradas are noticeably slower than the Pro One TTs they've replaced. If the Pro One TTs score 9W loss at 80psi in BRR's test, I'm betting these lose 13-14W.

So ultimately a good "Cadillac" tire, but they're coming off once race season starts. I can't see myself on anything but GP5000S TRs next race season.

TwiggyForest

by TwiggyForest

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:01 am
George46GR wrote:
Wed Oct 06, 2021 9:31 pm

I really look forward to hearing for your test ride review !!!
Ride feel is good, though I think Vittoria Corsa G2.0s beat them by a hair. The main issue with Vittoria is QC, and as far as I can tell, all five Challenge Stradas I bought are immaculate. So Vittoria > Challenge > Veloflex in terms of ride quality. Challenge > Veloflex > Vittoria in terms of QC. I suspect durability will be Challenge > Vittoria >>> Veloflex.

Can't really quantify the grip, but I have high cornering confidence with these. That's true of all the tires mentioned above. Once inflated, the cross-section of the tire is slightly bullet shaped instead of perfectly circular. Rolling resistance...the 25mm Stradas are noticeably slower than the Pro One TTs they've replaced. If the Pro One TTs score 9W loss at 80psi in BRR's test, I'm betting these lose 13-14W.

So ultimately a good "Cadillac" tire, but they're coming off once race season starts. I can't see myself on anything but GP5000S TRs next race season.
How is the feel between the Vittoria Corsa TL and the clincher version? I have never ridden Vittoria's so am considering trying either the clincher W/Latex tubes or TL when my GP5000S TL wear out.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

TwiggyForest wrote:
Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:27 am

How is the feel between the Vittoria Corsa TL and the clincher version? I have never ridden Vittoria's so am considering trying either the clincher W/Latex tubes or TL when my GP5000S TL wear out.

I haven't run regular Vittoria Corsa clinchers since 2016 and honestly don't remember if they felt much better than the tubeless variety. Between 2016 and 2019 I was mostly on Schwalbe Pro Ones and Hutchinson Fusion 5 Performance/Galactik 11Storm tubeless.

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

Vittoria Corsa clinchers are tripe, awful puncture protection.

Vittoria Corsa TLR are amazing, my favourite all round tyre.

Go figure :lol:
SL8 S-Works Project Black - 6.29kg
IG: RhinosWorkshop

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Seems that the Challenge Strada Pros needed a couple of rides to break in. They felt pretty sublime today. After three rides, they’ve expanded to 26mm.
Last edited by TobinHatesYou on Fri Oct 08, 2021 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

edchristoph

by edchristoph

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 10:23 pm
Seems that the Challenge Strada Pros needed a couple of rides to break in. They felt pretty sublime today.
As you never really liked the Veloflex Corsa's, do you like the Challenge Strada Pro HTLR more and if so, what is it? Are they faster or more supple or both? Btw, was your experience from the Corsa Evo or Race?

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

edchristoph wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 11:31 pm
TobinHatesYou wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 10:23 pm
Seems that the Challenge Strada Pros needed a couple of rides to break in. They felt pretty sublime today.
As you never really liked the Veloflex Corsa's, do you like the Challenge Strada Pro HTLR more and if so, what is it? Are they faster or more supple or both? Btw, was your experience from the Corsa Evo or Race?

I had to run 25mm Corsa Race TLRs at 75psi because they felt harsh at 85psi. Also the exposed cotton threads frayed after 350km on the local roads…and the tires would literally chug sealant. After a while, my sidewalls became a dark brown-orange from all the absorbed Orange Seal.

I doubt the Challenge Strada Pro HTLR are faster, but they ride great. Like the Vittoria Corsa TLR tires, they have a thin rubber coating on top of the sidewalls that protect the threads from sharp flint or other side impacts.

George46GR

by George46GR

Today I received the Challenge Strada Pro HTLR 27mm (tan). Relatively easy to mount, not as easy as the Schwalbe Pro One, but just by hands. Not tried them yet. One quastion please: Do they have a rotation direction? I could not find any direction arrow on the tyre. Thank you
2023 Cervelo S5, size 56, sapphire/ice

George46GR

by George46GR

George46GR wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:29 am
Today I received the Challenge Strada Pro HTLR 27mm (tan). Relatively easy to mount, not as easy as the Schwalbe Pro One, but just by hands. Not tried them yet. One quastion please: Do they have a rotation direction? I could not find any direction arrow on the tyre. Thank you
They are bidirecational after all. We can use them both ways (official answer from their technical support team).
2023 Cervelo S5, size 56, sapphire/ice

jff

by jff

ryanw wrote:
Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:34 am
Vittoria Corsa clinchers are tripe, awful puncture protection.

Vittoria Corsa TLR are amazing, my favourite all round tyre.
Go figure :lol:
I actually have the opposite experience:
Last half year I did most of my rides & races on the Corsa 25mm clincher with latex tubes -> no flats
On my spare wheelset I had 28mm TLR's installed and 3 punctures (2 rear, 1 front) in less than 800km, all in dry weather conditions. The sealant always did his job, but I question if I would had a punture with the tubed Corsa's.

On3

by On3

Hello guys,

I'm looking for a "winter training" tubeless for my winter bike.
Wheelset: Mavic Allroad Elite UB (hookless 22m internal width).

As this is a rim brake frame, I need an actual width at 30mm max. Yksion Allroad 30mm sold with rims are a bit too wide (~31/31,5mm at 4 bars).

As a Schwalbe aficionado, I was highly considering Schwalbe One TLE in 28mm (I'm afraid Schwalbe One TLE 25mm won't be accepted on my wheelset as Mavic says rim is for 28mm tyre at least). Will it fit?

Also, do you have other tubeless that could do the job (30mm max actual width, can be used on hookless rim, not too expensive or too weak to be used on winter training bike)?

Thanks!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Hexsense

by Hexsense

Schwalbe Pro One TLE Addix measure quite small vs older tires.
So, 28c won't reach 30mm on your rim. More like 28-29mm.

Pirelli Pzero Race and Goodyear Eagle are in this size range as well.
Continental GP5000 was slightly bigger than this pack. But it seems 5000s TR measure smaller than 5000, so 5000s TR could also be an option.