Best Tubeless tires for 2020?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

tanhalt

by tanhalt

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 1:51 am
Well... shit.

2000mi in, both sides of both tires have cracks just above the reinforced bead. I believe this is mostly cosmetic, but still a little sketched out.
Isn't that just the edge of the chafing strip pulling away from the sidewall? One of mine was actually like that when I installed it...if so, won't be a structural issue.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

tanhalt wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 6:54 pm
TobinHatesYou wrote:
Well... shit.

2000mi in, both sides of both tires have cracks just above the reinforced bead. I believe this is mostly cosmetic, but still a little sketched out.
Isn't that just the edge of the chafing strip pulling away from the sidewall? One of mine was actually like that when I installed it...if so, won't be a structural issue.

Yeah it's just above the added protection layer, not a cut made by the rim hooks or anything

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 6:55 pm
tanhalt wrote:
TobinHatesYou wrote:
Well... shit.

Yeah it's just above the added protection layer, not a cut made by the rim hooks or anything
I couldn't ride that. I am too paranoid. If a tire isn't perfect, it goes in the bin. IMO a small price to pay for peace of mind.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

tanhalt

by tanhalt

Mr.Gib wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 4:14 am
TobinHatesYou wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 6:55 pm
tanhalt wrote:
TobinHatesYou wrote:
Well... shit.

I couldn't ride that. I am too paranoid. If a tire isn't perfect, it goes in the bin. IMO a small price to pay for peace of mind.
Really? That chafer strip is an extra piece of fabric put on there because some rim manufacturers are too lazy to properly radius their bead edges <cough...ENVE...cough>. It's bonded there OVER the rest of the casing material, and the part that matters is "captured" by the bead anyway when installed. The edge pulling away there doesn't matter in the least. It wouldn't (actually, hasn't) bother me if the edge of that strip along the casing wasn't perfect. Like I said above, one of my tires had the strip coming away in one spot when I installed it (noticed as it was caught under the bead area during installation)

And, this is coming from a guy who has long told friends, when they asked if an expensive, new tire with a big cut or something was still ride-able..."How much would you pay to stay OUT of the hospital?" :wink:

To each his own, I guess :noidea: :thumbup:

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

I rode today on a >25mph average group ride with multiple town sign sprints. It was fine.

Frankly I'm surprised that I've gotten 2100mi out of a 26mm WAM tire with a natural rubber compound that Challenge admits doesn't last as long as synthetic/natural blends. My eyeballs tell me there's still a few hundred miles in them too, and all the while only a single tiny front puncture that sealed in a couple seconds. The Pro One TTs I was using immediately beforehand suffered ~18 punctures (an old one reopened a couple times) in 8 weeks.

I've also noticed that extra protection strip is inconsistently applied. It extends way higher on my front tire than on my rear tire.

WorkonSunday

by WorkonSunday

CampagYOLO wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 6:48 pm
Given you're looking for winter training tyres, Pirelli Cinturato 28mm would suit you well.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
+1, given bike24 price, these tyre are hard to beat. i did the tour of taiwan route in rainy season (around 1000km, mixed city and villages roads), not punctured once. i also commute on these through London, again, not a single puncture so far. (i suspect tubeless setup will make them even better, but i cant be bothered to change sealant every few months, so i stick with inner tubes)
Some say pour 10ml water out of your bottle to save that last bit of the weight. Sorry, i go one step further, i tend to the rider off my bikes. :thumbup:
n+1...14 last time i checked, but i lost count :mrgreen:

tanhalt

by tanhalt

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 7:46 am
I rode today on a >25mph average group ride with multiple town sign sprints. It was fine.

Frankly I'm surprised that I've gotten 2100mi out of a 26mm WAM tire with a natural rubber compound that Challenge admits doesn't last as long as synthetic/natural blends. My eyeballs tell me there's still a few hundred miles in them too, and all the while only a single tiny front puncture that sealed in a couple seconds. The Pro One TTs I was using immediately beforehand suffered ~18 punctures (an old one reopened a couple times) in 8 weeks.

I've also noticed that extra protection strip is inconsistently applied. It extends way higher on my front tire than on my rear tire.
Well...that last observation is just part of the charm of the tires being "hand-made" :wink:

Sometimes the tread isn't glued on completely straight either...the front tire of the Getaway models I've been running on my Cannondale XS800 CX/Gravel bike lately has a noticeable "wiggle" in the tread placement. I'm close to swapping the tires front to back just so I don't see it :lol:

tanhalt

by tanhalt

TobinHatesYou wrote:

Welp...880 miles in on the Strada Pro TLR 27s and the rear suffered an >1.5cm slice across the tread. Obviously, sealant alone didn't work. Started plugging it with some cotton butcher's cord "plugs"...
..just one (shown before trimming) wasn't enough ...

...even 2 suffed in there wasn't enough to hold air...

...finally got it to seal with 3(!) cords stuck in there...which is kind of impressive for that large of a slice. Could trim it a bit neater if I planned on keeping them in there.

Yeah...I'm going to replace that tire :cry:

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

tanhalt wrote:
Fri Dec 10, 2021 11:27 pm
TobinHatesYou wrote:

Welp...880 miles in on the Strada Pro TLR 27s and the rear suffered an >1.5cm slice across the tread. Obviously, sealant alone didn't work. Started plugging it with some cotton butcher's cord "plugs"...
..just one (shown before trimming) wasn't enough ...

...even 2 suffed in there wasn't enough to hold air...

...finally got it to seal with 3(!) cords stuck in there...which is kind of impressive for that large of a slice. Could trim it a bit neater if I planned on keeping them in there.

Yeah...I'm going to replace that tire :cry:
Shiet, now we're talking rips here :shock:
What did you run over, Jack the rippers slicer knife or?
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

Pabloldv

by Pabloldv

Schwalbe Pro One TLE cutted today on my training wheels… What do you guys recommend? GP5000 S?

George46GR

by George46GR

@tanhalt

My Strada Pro HTLR 27mm have riden a bit more than 2500 km and look like new. No punctures yet... "fingers crossed". I should also mention that the tarmac here in Greece is - generally speaking - very bad. I wonder on the tarmac surface you ride on, as the tread seems totally worn on your tyres.
2023 Cervelo S5, size 56, sapphire/ice

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

George46GR wrote:
Sun Dec 12, 2021 5:16 pm
@tanhalt

My Strada Pro HTLR 27mm have riden a bit more than 2500 km and look like new. No punctures yet... "fingers crossed". I should also mention that the tarmac here in Greece is - generally speaking - very bad. I wonder on the tarmac surface you ride on, as the tread seems totally worn on your tyres.

I noticed that too in tanhalt’s photo. My 25mm rear tire has almost 3900km on it by now and it’s still going. I am on the lighter side and primarily ride in groups while not being forced to brake much though.

George46GR

by George46GR

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Sun Dec 12, 2021 6:57 pm
George46GR wrote:
Sun Dec 12, 2021 5:16 pm
@tanhalt

I noticed that too in tanhalt’s photo. My 25mm rear tire has almost 3900km on it by now and it’s still going. I am on the lighter side and primarily ride in groups while not being forced to brake much though.
... that being said.... I would have replaced them a lot earlier. I think its quite dangerous to ride on these tyres.... they seem very very worn out....
2023 Cervelo S5, size 56, sapphire/ice

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

George46GR wrote:
Sun Dec 12, 2021 8:09 pm

... that being said.... I would have replaced them a lot earlier. I think its quite dangerous to ride on these tyres.... they seem very very worn out....

I ride my tires until the tread cap shows obvious signs of damage or until I start puncturing frequently. I don’t think losing the center file tread is an indication that tire needs to be replaced.

As of now my rear tire has not even punctured once.

tanhalt

by tanhalt

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Sun Dec 12, 2021 9:02 pm
George46GR wrote:
Sun Dec 12, 2021 8:09 pm

I ride my tires until the tread cap shows obvious signs of damage or until I start puncturing frequently. I don’t think losing the center file tread is an indication that tire needs to be replaced.

As of now my rear tire has not even punctured once.
The surfaces I ride that on are generally fairly good Southern California asphalt, with short forays onto some mild dirt trails on some routes.

I agree that despite the center file texture being worn away, I really don't think this tire is overly worn. That texture is definitely not deep enough to be a "wear indicator" for replacement. It obviously was taken out with this slice by something large and sharp...I have no idea what it was. I didn't see/hear anything until the tell-tale "spfft, spfft, spfft..." of sealant spraying out. I have a feeling that whatever did this would've flatted basically ANY tire.

If the slice hadn't been so large, I would have no problem continuing to ride that tire for quite a long ways further. If, let's say, it had been a puncture small enough for a single plug to handle, I would've just left the plug in there and kept riding it.
Last edited by tanhalt on Tue Dec 14, 2021 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com