Best Tubeless tires for 2020?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

On3

by On3

JWTS wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 12:33 am
On3 wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 5:34 pm
Hello guys,

I'm looking for a "winter training" tubeless for my winter bike.
Wheelset: Mavic Allroad Elite UB (hookless 22m internal width).

As this is a rim brake frame, I need an actual width at 30mm max. Yksion Allroad 30mm sold with rims are a bit too wide (~31/31,5mm at 4 bars).

As a Schwalbe aficionado, I was highly considering Schwalbe One TLE in 28mm (I'm afraid Schwalbe One TLE 25mm won't be accepted on my wheelset as Mavic says rim is for 28mm tyre at least). Will it fit?

Also, do you have other tubeless that could do the job (30mm max actual width, can be used on hookless rim, not too expensive or too weak to be used on winter training bike)?

Thanks!
Yeah, as mentioned Schwalbe have sized down. I have 700x30's in a 25mm internal hookless rim and they're measuring 31.6 after a lot of use. I feel pretty confidence you'd be fine w/the 28mm ona 22 internal rim.
And you were right!

29mm on a 22mm internal at 4 bars with One 28mm. :thumbup:

Very satisfied with what they look like on my winter bike also (I took classic skin).
IMG_20211028_134325.jpg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Strange issue at 1200mi/1900km on the Challenge Strada Pros. I went for a ride and then left the bike in the back of the car while I had lunch. When I got back home and took the bike out of the car, the rear tire was completely flat. No sealant anywhere on the outside of the tire. I lathered up the tread to see where air is escaping, and it's coming out from the edge of the tread and carcass. There seems to be damage to the carcass underneath the tread in that vicinity, but there's no damage to the tread itself. That's causing air to escape out the sides.

I haven't checked the sealant levels, but I suspect it's completely dried out. That would be a shock because I've only been riding these tires for 5-6 weeks in cool/humid conditions.

tanhalt

by tanhalt

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Sat Nov 13, 2021 12:58 am
Strange issue at 1200mi/1900km on the Challenge Strada Pros. I went for a ride and then left the bike in the back of the car while I had lunch. When I got back home and took the bike out of the car, the rear tire was completely flat. No sealant anywhere on the outside of the tire. I lathered up the tread to see where air is escaping, and it's coming out from the edge of the tread and carcass. There seems to be damage to the carcass underneath the tread in that vicinity, but there's no damage to the tread itself. That's causing air to escape out the sides.

I haven't checked the sealant levels, but I suspect it's completely dried out. That would be a shock because I've only been riding these tires for 5-6 weeks in cool/humid conditions.
My front Strada Pro went soft a week or 2 ago...dried out sealant...of course, how long that will take depends on how much you insert in the first place. This was after ~12-13 weeks for me (don't recall how much sealant - Orange Sealed - I put in initially...2 oz?)

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

tanhalt wrote:
Sat Nov 13, 2021 1:36 am

My front Strada Pro went soft a week or 2 ago...dried out sealant...of course, how long that will take depends on how much you insert in the first place. This was after ~12-13 weeks for me (don't recall how much sealant - Orange Sealed - I put in initially...2 oz?)

Just checked, 40mL in 25mm Strada Pro H-TLR on Oct 6. Both tires were completely dry inside as of tonight. 40mL more in both tires, which should last the remaining life of the rear tire, at which point I'll check the front again...

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

40ml gone in a month? That's a rather "absorbant" tire. Data point: my Mavic Yksion Pro Ust have held 40ml for a year. Essentially no loss.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

tanhalt

by tanhalt

Mr.Gib wrote:
Sat Nov 13, 2021 4:41 pm
40ml gone in a month? That's a rather "absorbant" tire. Data point: my Mavic Yksion Pro Ust have held 40ml for a year. Essentially no loss.
That's the difference between a relatively fast tire with a latex-based inner layer, and a relatively slow tire utilizing a butyl air layer. You're going to need to pump them up more often, and the sealant will tend to dry out a bit faster (and probably only until it gets a good initial layer built up), but you'll SO much more enjoy riding on them in the mean time :thumbup:

That said, I think 40ml of sealant is a bit "light" for a road tire...I'd be putting in at least 60ml, if not more, especially considering the initial "burn rate".

tanhalt

by tanhalt

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Sat Nov 13, 2021 6:03 am
tanhalt wrote:
Sat Nov 13, 2021 1:36 am

Just checked, 40mL in 25mm Strada Pro H-TLR on Oct 6. Both tires were completely dry inside as of tonight. 40mL more in both tires, which should last the remaining life of the rear tire, at which point I'll check the front again...
Which sealant? I've been using the Orange Sealed Endurance formulation and it seems to last a bit longer than that...

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

tanhalt wrote:
Sat Nov 13, 2021 4:48 pm

Which sealant? I've been using the Orange Sealed Endurance formulation and it seems to last a bit longer than that...

Orange Seal Regular. Also since I lathered up the tire to check for leaks, the soap residue + a wet ride this morning revealed microscopic leaks (little pinheads of foam) throughout the carcass. Not too surprising I guess since these tires like to drop from 85->72psi in a 24hr period.

I also had a small front puncture from a bit of glass today so in retrospect, having the rear tire fully deflate in my car was a pretty fortunate.

I still like the tires quite a lot.

George46GR

by George46GR

Let me share with you my experience with the Challenge Strada Pro HTLR 27 mm (almost 1200 km with them).

The first tyre was installed just by hands, while I used my tyre levers for the second one (I could not wait more.... I wanted to see them inflated). Each of them sit immediately with just a sinple blast using my topeak joeblow booster (I also used soapy water around the rim).

They look great. They are also very supple. Noticeably more supple than the Schwalbe Pro ones, but not a huge defference though. Yet, air retension is bad even though I do not care since I always check my pressure before every ride. Grip seems okay as I do not use to corner at the limit.

Rolling resistance seems - just by feeling - to be slightly higher than the Schwalbe Pro ones. I like them as winter tyres but I think I will return to the Schwalbe Pro ones for the race days during summer.
2023 Cervelo S5, size 56, sapphire/ice

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Strada Pro diary continued...

~1450mi now. The rear tire has lots of damp spots along the center tread indicating micro leaks. They're unevenly spaced but there's maybe ten of them along the circumference of the tire. This is to go with the microfoaming around the sidewalls that I noticed on a rainy day. The rear tread is definitely starting to cut more easily as it wears thinner.

e:
What's happening is air/liquid is diffusing through the casing and the small cuts in the tread are merely the path of least resistance for the trapped air to escape.

Bubbling clip 1
Bubbling clip 2

George46GR

by George46GR

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 7:04 am
Strada Pro diary continued...

~1450mi now. The rear tire has lots of damp spots along the center tread indicating micro leaks. They're unevenly spaced but there's maybe ten of them along the circumference of the tire. This is to go with the microfoaming around the sidewalls that I noticed on a rainy day. The rear tread is definitely starting to cut more easily as it wears thinner.

e:
What's happening is air/liquid is diffusing through the casing and the small cuts in the tread are merely the path of least resistance for the trapped air to escape.

Bubbling clip 1
Bubbling clip 2
Any opinions on that mileage to expect from the STRADA PRO HTLR ?
2023 Cervelo S5, size 56, sapphire/ice

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

tanhalt wrote:
Sat Nov 13, 2021 4:47 pm
Mr.Gib wrote:
Sat Nov 13, 2021 4:41 pm
That's the difference between a relatively fast tire with a latex-based inner layer, and a relatively slow tire utilizing a butyl air layer. You're going to need to pump them up more often, and the sealant will tend to dry out a bit faster (and probably only until it gets a good initial layer built up), but you'll SO much more enjoy riding on them in the mean time :thumbup:

That said, I think 40ml of sealant is a bit "light" for a road tire...I'd be putting in at least 60ml, if not more, especially considering the initial "burn rate".
I suspect that you have not ridden the Mavic Yksion Pro UST - don't confuse it with any of Mavics other tires. I grew up on high quality tubulars, and now use only supple cloth clinchers - I was running 28mm Corsa's on wide rims with latex innertubes at 65psi before it was a "thing". I use mostly Vittoria (reg Corsa, Speed, and Control). The exception is on my fender bike which is where the Mavics live. They are excellent. Faster than Vittoria Corsa, at least according to BRR, great traction wet or dry, and a very good ride quality. The only weakness is they cut a bit too easily.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

George46GR wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:34 pm

Any opinions on that mileage to expect from the STRADA PRO HTLR ?

I'm already at 1750mi/2800km and still going on 25mm tires.

bcmf

by bcmf

picked up a set of the challenge strada tlr. https://www.challengetires.com/shop/pro ... da-4/55135
mounted easily enough and can inflate to 5 bar but wont go any further.
The air is escaping through the sidewall. I put some water on to see where exactly it was escaping thinking the tyre hadnt seated and saw bubbles for the sidewall.
Have not added any sealant but I was under the illusion the nylon sidewall was not going to be pourous.
The tyre is going to eat sealant.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Well... shit.

2000mi in, both sides of both tires have cracks just above the reinforced bead. I believe this is mostly cosmetic, but still a little sketched out.
Attachments
IMG_3890.jpg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com