Best Tubeless tires for 2020?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Dan Gerous

by Dan Gerous

Imaking20 wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:25 pm
TLE = Addix
Thanks... I asked because they also called the old ones TLE.

MaxPower

by MaxPower

Imaking20 wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:49 pm
I've been experimenting with tubeless for the last ~6 months after spending the last few years exclusively riding Veloflex tubulars (which, IMO, still offer better durability than everything else I'm about to list). My curiosity was partly wondering if they'd improved a lot (which they needed to) over the last ~5 years since I first tried tubeless and partly encouraged by the fact that tubular disc wheel options are quite limited.

In my time on tubeless so far, I've tried Corsa 2.0 TLR, Corsa Control 2.0 TLR, Schwalbe TLE and Specialized RapidAir.

While I still had a couple bikes built up next to eachother (and a lot of wheels), I did a 6-way back to back comparison one day and compared two of my different bikes with 3 different tire and pressure setups. Of the wheelsets, 2 were tubular (27mm Veloflex on one and 28mm Vittoria on another) and one tubeless setup (with 25mm Corsa 2.0). The most surprising takeaway for me was that I could not get either of my tubular setups to match the comfort of the tubeless setup without getting a little 'bounce' or squish from the tires. Which is to say that I kept lowering the pressure on the tubular setups but by the time I'd get close to the tubeless comfort - I was riding a small pogo stick. Chalk one up for tubeless.

Now then, for me, on the 3 wheel sets I've mounted new Vittoria TLR tires on - they are the experience that everyone anticipates and dreads with tubeless. They're not terribly difficult to get on the rim - but they have been a NIGHTMARE for me to get seated. Messy, stubborn and ended up requiring one trip to a LBS followed by buying a special attachment for my air compressor to get them seated.

Fast forward to Schwalbe TLE (the next tire I tried) and they seat without issue with just a floor pump - sweet!!! I did some back to back rides on this setup (25mm tire) compared to my Veloflex 27mm tire and this is the first tubeless tire I've ridden that I'm comfortable saying "handles as well as a tubular." I'd say ride quality is a wash. Good tires.

Then I got curious about the RapidAir. Holy mother. Easiest installation and seating I've had yet. They also may be the best riding tire I've ridden in the last several years. I'd been riding a set of 26mm tires for a bit (maybe ~800 miles) on a variety of terrain and just sorta forgot about them. Then I recently hit a big piece of glass that put a 12mm slice in the tire (which I think would spell the end for EVERY tire) which meant I needed to go back on my tubular setup until I swapped the Schwalbe back onto my tubeless wheels. This swap is when I fully realized how much more comfortable the RapidAir are than the TLE (which is also to say they're more comfortable than the Veloflex).

Tl;dr - Specialized RapidAir may be the holy grail of tire comfort and grip (for road tires, anyway). I still think tubular tires puncture less.
Two thumbs up for that post :-) :beerchug:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

AnkitS

by AnkitS

+1 really enjoyed my Rapid Airs
I am giving gp5000s another chance but it looks like Rapid Airs and Pro Ones for me this season.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Last year I rode tubeless without any flats from wires/glass/goat heads/etc. I rode 19000km. Most of the punctures I never noticed... I don’t think I would have been able to do this with tubed clinchers or tubs.

Imaking20

by Imaking20

Well, I will say that when washing my bike the other day - the Schwalbe were bubbling air from all over the place and I didn't notice picking up any of those scars! :|

ianpemberton

by ianpemberton

I'm riding the GP5000 and had significant issues mounting them, to the point that I damaged the bead mounting it and the tire had a big wobble in it (thankfully replaced under warranty). Apparently it was my particular rim combination that made things a little worse.

Once I had them on and sealed though, the tyres have been great. Plenty of grip, and the lower pressures (78psi on a 28mm) add to comfort and ride quality.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Imaking20 wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:34 pm
Well, I will say that when washing my bike the other day - the Schwalbe were bubbling air from all over the place and I didn't notice picking up any of those scars! :|

I am trying the updated blue Bontrager TLR sealant with the new Schwalbe Pro One TLE. Not sure if it's one, the other or both, but I am losing more air overnight than any other tire with Orange Seal. My guess is it's primarily the sealant's fault. Orange Seal does an amazing job of creating a thin latex membrane over the interior of the tire and the rim bed. Bontrager TLR, Specialized Rapid Air, Muc-Off No Punctures, etc. don't have that property.

Imaking20

by Imaking20

That could definitely be it then. I've had the same experience with Orange Seal, which has been my go to for several years, but used RapidAir sealant in the Schwalbe this time. To be fair, I did this because it work basically seemed like miracle sauce when I first punctured on the RapidAirs

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Imaking20 wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 3:19 am
That could definitely be it then. I've had the same experience with Orange Seal, which has been my go to for several years, but used RapidAir sealant in the Schwalbe this time. To be fair, I did this because it work basically seemed like miracle sauce when I first punctured on the RapidAirs

The Specialized RapidAir and Bontrager TLR sealants look suspiciously similar (except the latter is dyed blue.) I suspect they come from the same supplier.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

IRC have new formula pro tyres coming out in april. I dont anything more yet.

Thee also the marbella x guard 28mm for a gravel tyre for road bikes.

Last year over 20000km I had numerous tubeless punctures. Only one, which was a sidewall cut and bead puncture (I.e pinch flat and the loaded panniers might have contributed there) required a change of tyre mid ride (although plugs fixed it until I got to a shop) Everything else was fixed long term with a plug. Most of my miles are on a loaded bike and i dont think that helps the puncture rate.

Since december I am on my 4th puncture 2 of which have required plugging. That's on Vittoria corsa controls. They are doing quite well. They wear and resist cuts like irc tyres do. They grip like IRC tyres. Like THY, having tried a number of tubeless road tyres there are not many that I would actually use again.

The list so far is of tubeless road tyres I have got one with and in no particular order

Vittoria Corsa Control g2.0
Hutchinson Fusion 5 all season
IRC Formula Pro X guard
IRC Formula Pro RBCC
IRC Roadlite.

Mavic yskion ust would be in there but the Hutchinson tyres are cheaper and fell the same.

Michelin power tubeless is on the list to try as is the Verdestein fortezza. The maxxis high road is of interest too as the Padrone was fine except for its baggy fit.

Imaking20

by Imaking20

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 7:30 am
Imaking20 wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 3:19 am
[/quote

The Specialized RapidAir and Bontrager TLR sealants look suspiciously similar (except the latter is dyed blue.) I suspect they come from the same supplier.
That's good to know as the TLR sealant is quite a bit cheaper. Honestly, the air retention wasnt an issue with my RapidAir (tires) and I can't say enough about how impressed I was with how quickly they sealed. I'll take this as a lesson learned that it's not an ideal match on the Schwalbe, but I'm not quite ready to give up on the sealant!

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Stolen from MTBR, but apparently some of the riders over there perform an initial fill with Orange Seal, ride it for a few weeks, then switch to Bontrager TLR. This apparently provides the best of both worlds...a good initial seal after mounting the tire, good air retention and also slightly better sealing of punctures than regular Orange Seal. Not sure if this applies to road pressures, but given that Specialized claims the RapidAir works up in the >70psi range, it might be worth trying.

MikeD

by MikeD

bm0p700f wrote:
Mavic yskion ust would be in there but the Hutchinson tyres are cheaper and fell the same.
I've got Mavic UST wheels and like the ease of which the Yksilon tires mount/dismount. How easy is it to install and remove Hutchinsons on UST wheels?

Dan Gerous

by Dan Gerous

MikeD wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:57 pm
bm0p700f wrote:
I've got Mavic UST wheels and like the ease of which the Yksilon tires mount/dismount. How easy is it to install and remove Hutchinsons on UST wheels?
Given the Mavic tires are actually not far off just rebranded Hutchinson tires (made by them but using their tech and rubber compound as well), they must be similarly easy.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

MikeD wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:57 pm
bm0p700f wrote:
I have only ever mounted them on mavic open pro ust rims and the skins are not hand to these. I ha e to lever them on and its tight. Hutchinson tyres are about the same. IRC tyres are really tight but the IRC levers make it possible. Most levers would snap.

The ease of mount applies to mavic wheels only.