RAR ESO ultra light Made in France hubsets

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Adrien
WWotY 2007

by Adrien

Slammed wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:14 am
These look really nice well designed. It's always good to have more options for lightweight hubs. Will the hubs be available seperately? or just in complete wheelsets?
At this time we do not sell the hubs separately.
Nefarious86 wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:42 am
Those silver hubs in a rim brake configuration would be amazing
Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk
I'll get you a picture next week. I couldn't find one in my records.
hannawald wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:28 am
Nice specs and design. But i am a little bit reserved to these claims seeing your website promotion of your wheels, where 25mm external/18mm internal rims are claimed to be very wide..they are not, obviously they are outperformed by Light Bicycle rims - width/price/weight..
But i would like to be prooved wrong - i support everybody trying to push boundaries and use innovative solutions to make better weightweenie products..
I'm not sure we ever claimed the 18mm wide rims to be very wide unless the text have not been updated for a while (english side of the site is always a bit out of date though...). Maybe you can point me at this?
For sure 18mm wide is the right size to fit 25/28mm tyres. It's actually a step too wide according to the ETRTO standard that is the reference for tyre and rim manufacturers. It also stand that 21mm wide rims is only suitable safely from 35mm tyres. I don't think road bikes use so large tyres at this time. And 19mm wide internally is only suitable from 28mm tyres.
We need rims that accept safely 25/28+ tyres.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Aeo

by Aeo

Hi, how many teeth does the ratchet ring have? How many degrees engagement?
Giant TCR Adv Pro Disc '17 · BH Lynx Race Evo '19 · Seraph GR029 '21 · Canyon Inflite AL '14

hannawald

by hannawald

25mm external/18mm internal is not wide enough to maximalize aero properties of 25mm tires (which are usually wider in real). Even conservative Mavic has left outdated ETRTO norms and has gone wider. American producers are miles ahead.
My Light Bicycle rims are 30mm wide which is just right for my nominal 25mm tyres that measure 28mm in real. Cannondale and Specialized follows same way and others are slowly joining them..

Adrien
WWotY 2007

by Adrien

hannawald wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 1:07 pm
25mm external/18mm internal is not wide enough to maximalize aero properties of 25mm tires (which are usually wider in real). Even conservative Mavic has left outdated ETRTO norms and has gone wider. American producers are miles ahead.
My Light Bicycle rims are 30mm wide which is just right for my nominal 25mm tyres that measure 28mm in real. Cannondale and Specialized follows same way and others are slowly joining them..
You preach a convinced one.
But fact is that the ETRTO is updated every years, and is the reference for tyre/rim design. The table with Straight side type or Crotchet type is crystal clear and is also taken as a guide for the latest Continental tyres manual as you can see here:

You, as an individual can take the risk to use a non-standard combination. But we, as a company and manufacturer can't take the risk to advise a non approved combination.
If standards exist, that's mainly for safety reason. When an accident with serious injuries happens, do you think the insurance company will hear your aero arguments?

Thank you for coming back to topic :D

Adrien
WWotY 2007

by Adrien

Aeo wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:36 am
Hi, how many teeth does the ratchet ring have? How many degrees engagement?
That's a 36 teeth design. So 10° engaging degree.
For road and gravel where coasting resistance has to be low, we fell like there is no need to go to a shorter engaging angle: number of teeth directly affects freewheeling resistance. We use a special synthetic lube to minimize coasting resistance.

alanyu

by alanyu

Adrien wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:44 am
alanyu wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:56 am
I'd like to see a 2:1 design for rim brake like fulcrum (unequal spacing) to have a more balence left right tension and a better overall wheel performance.
We used the 2x/x spoke design in the 2009/2012 years. We went back to x/x design later.
What we found out so far is:
- reduced lateral stiffness when the left side flange is within the range of regular x/x design
- lateral stiffness can be pretty high when the left side flange is pushed very far from the center, but it does not exceed the x/x design
- 2x/x spoke design is a nightmare when a non drive side spoke failure occurs. The wheel is absolutely unusable because of the huge distance between 2 non drive side spokes

Because of these reasons, we prefered to stick with regular x/x design. Both for performance and safety/security reasons.
I disagree with your idea on rim brake hub.

A spoke failure on NDS can be a nightmare for 2:1 hub, but for a good designed wheel it can be greatly avoid if it's not an accident. For an accident where the spokes are broken by something, I don't think anything can be thought as safe. Many big brands are on the 2:1 triplet side for rim brake, including shimano, roval, fulcrum, campy, etc, whose quality and performance are both proved to be solid. Moreover, shimano's DA C24 is 1:1 2X:2X instead of 2X:0X, if the later is better why not? Why do they go to triplet for deeper rims?

As to super light hubs, extralite also released their sp rim brake hub with 2:1 triplet lancing long ago It was claimed, and also proved to be better than the old sp 1:1 2X:0X hub.

Adrien
WWotY 2007

by Adrien

alanyu wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 4:33 pm
Adrien wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:44 am
alanyu wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:56 am
I'd like to see a 2:1 design for rim brake like fulcrum (unequal spacing) to have a more balence left right tension and a better overall wheel performance.
We used the 2x/x spoke design in the 2009/2012 years. We went back to x/x design later.
What we found out so far is:
- reduced lateral stiffness when the left side flange is within the range of regular x/x design
- lateral stiffness can be pretty high when the left side flange is pushed very far from the center, but it does not exceed the x/x design
- 2x/x spoke design is a nightmare when a non drive side spoke failure occurs. The wheel is absolutely unusable because of the huge distance between 2 non drive side spokes

Because of these reasons, we prefered to stick with regular x/x design. Both for performance and safety/security reasons.
I disagree with your idea on rim brake hub.

A spoke failure on NDS can be a nightmare for 2:1 hub, but for a good designed wheel it can be greatly avoid if it's not an accident. For an accident where the spokes are broken by something, I don't think anything can be thought as safe. Many big brands are on the 2:1 triplet side for rim brake, including shimano, roval, fulcrum, campy, etc, whose quality and performance are both proved to be solid. Moreover, shimano's DA C24 is 1:1 2X:2X instead of 2X:0X, if the later is better why not? Why do they go to triplet for deeper rims?

As to super light hubs, extralite also released their sp rim brake hub with 2:1 triplet lancing long ago It was claimed, and also proved to be better than the old sp 1:1 2X:0X hub.
I have to agree with you on the spoke failure side: I don't remember seeing a broken spoke due to fatigue on our RARs. It has become extremely rare, probably 2 or 3 a year break suddenly for no apparent reason (less than 0,0001%). And I think large manufacturers are in the same case.

Fact is that a 12/12 - 24 spokes wheel will still be rideable with 1 less NDS spoke while the one with 16/8 won't.
Also in term of performance, I confirm we found out the 2:1 to come with no stiffness gain because the non drive side of the wheel actually has a huge impact on wheel stability due to its wider bracing angle. Dropping the number of spokes this side reduces wheel stiffness significantly unless you compensate with a super wide bracing angle. Then you get back the stiffness of a 12/12 design, no more.
It's merely a question of choice and marketing. We chose the safe side after trying 2:1 a few years, no bling bling.

Concerning the major brands, you have to keep in mind that, the 2:1 spoke pattern actually is easier/faster to build as long as the rim is super stiff.
That is due to 2 things.
First, the spoke tension is equal on both sides, depending on bracing angle choice of course.
Second, the NDS spokes, or non disc side for a front wheel, are so few that if one has a spoke tension out of average, the wheel is obligatory out of true. Take this sentence the other sense you can read: if the wheel is out of true, then a spoke has its tension out of range. And the culprit is super easy to find because of the huge space between the 7 (if 14/7) or 8 (if 16/8) spokes.

Finally, your remark about the Shimano C24 having 12/12 spokes is relevant.
I don't have the exact reply, but my bet is that it is a question of rim stiffness, as explain before, i.e. the C24 is not stiff enough to handle the 2:1 tensions, and torsionnal stiffness. I explain the torque stiffness assumption.
The shallow rim has very long spokes. Those long spokes always come with an important drop in wheel torsionnal stiffness because they can flex pretty much along their length. I remember removing the large teeth ring on Tune hubs in the past (those having the insane creaking sound), and we had to lock the ring tool in a vice, take the rim in hand and rotate it as a steering wheel. The amount of deflection of the deep wheels was far lower than the one of shallow wheels where you could see the rim taking an angle in relation to the hub. It was a direct translation of wheel torsionnal stiffness.
Back to the C24: because Shimano sells worldwide and have pro Tour guys, they beef up this "light" wheel using a 12/12 spoke design and a 2x/2x cross pattern. This must help to avoid many warranty cases for large or strong riders.

edit: edited many typos sorry
Last edited by Adrien on Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

alcatraz

by alcatraz

Adrien wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:50 pm
The large flange diameter, especially with straight pull design, makes the spoke nearly tangential from hub flange to rim. This configuration is better than a traditionnal flange 2X-cross pattern on a 24 spoked wheel.
Really interesting read. Thank you.

I just wanted to show you a traditional 24h 3x wheel with nearly perfect tangential spokes. In this calculator there are two lacing options and one of them produces near tangential spokes. You could run NDS with any cross amount, I just put in 3x there for illustrative purpose.

The second picture is just my current project at building a light wheelset for a light rider, using an extralite J-bend 24h hub laced triplet. Bit crazy huh, but might actually work I think. :)
Attachments
Screenshot_20200113-155004.jpg
Screenshot_20200113-160431.jpg

Adrien
WWotY 2007

by Adrien

alcatraz wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:54 am
Adrien wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:50 pm
The large flange diameter, especially with straight pull design, makes the spoke nearly tangential from hub flange to rim. This configuration is better than a traditionnal flange 2X-cross pattern on a 24 spoked wheel.
Really interesting read. Thank you.

I just wanted to show you a traditional 24h 3x wheel with nearly perfect tangential spokes. In this calculator there are two lacing options and one of them produces near tangential spokes. You could run NDS with any cross amount, I just put in 3x there for illustrative purpose.

The second picture is just my current project at building a light wheelset for a light rider, using an extralite J-bend 24h hub laced triplet. Bit crazy huh, but might actually work I think. :)
Nice illustrations.
The 3x crossed pattern on 24h 12/12 wheel is theorically/practically possible but:
1. the spoke tangential angle exceeds 90° (where radial is 0° and tangential is 90°). This excess above 90° is probably close to the lack of tangential angle of 2X. I mean if it is 95°-3X, the 2X would be probably be 80° which is a 5° difference between 2X-3X. Figures are just here to give an illustration again, those are not exact.
2. in practise the 24h-3X is not very recommanded because the head of a pulling spoke (or pushing, depending on the way the wheel is built) enters in contact with the round section of the closest spoke near the hub, generating a curved spoke line close to the hub. That works but that is no a very professionnal work.
3. the straigt pull design in 24h makes the spoke tangential angle to be the closest to 90° actually, while keeping the spoke line smooth.
4. the perfect tangential angle is found when the number of spokes divided by 9 is 3 (as long as the flange diameter is regular in size). The closest configuration, in a traditionnal flange design actually is 28 spokes-3x. 28/3 is super close to 9 (+0.33). 24/2 is 12 (+3). And 24/3 is 8 (-1) which is indeed closer to 9 than 24/2. And SP design is 24/2,5 which is +0,6

:thumbup:

RyanH

by RyanH

Are the rims made in-house? Can you describe what the brake track is like on the EVEN wheels?

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Adrien
WWotY 2007

by Adrien

Hey guys,

Here are a few pictures of the mirror polished rim brake ESOs.

Adrien
WWotY 2007

by Adrien

RyanH wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:18 am
Are the rims made in-house? Can you describe what the brake track is like on the EVEN wheels?

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk
The EVEN rims are not produced in-house. We don't have this knowledge now to manufacture carbon parts in a safe way.
They are made in a 3K Twill weave from T800 carbon fibre. The brake track is a 1K - fibre glass like to give a strong grip for the pad to catch.
Braking performance is really good.

Wingnut

by Wingnut

If the hubs were available separately I'd be all over this!

tyro13

by tyro13

why is there such a big price difference between eso hubs and the first hubs? If you configure a wheelset there is a price difference of 800 € on the same rims but with the two different hubs ?!