Lightest aluminum rim brake wheelset?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Alexbn921 wrote:
Wed Dec 25, 2019 5:10 pm
Shimano C24!
Super light weight rims = noodle wheel builds.
You need a strong rim for a low spoke durable wheel.
Not many realise this not even shimano.

naylor343

by naylor343

bm0p700f wrote:
Wed Dec 25, 2019 5:29 pm
Alexbn921 wrote:
Wed Dec 25, 2019 5:10 pm
Shimano C24!
Super light weight rims = noodle wheel builds.
You need a strong rim for a low spoke durable wheel.
Not many realise this not even shimano.
I once had a set of dura ace c24's, never liked them. Sold them and went to handbuilts, dura ace on sl23's then re-rimmed to forzas. The difference was night and day. If ever a wheel was over hyped it was the c24.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Mountainous vacations?
It doesn't matter how light you are (150 lbs is not super light) and how easy you are on your equipment, if you are doing serious climbing and descending, it would be a huge mistake to use very light alloy wheels. Your not racing so the difference between a 1300 gram set of clinchers and a 1500 gram set of clinchers will have no real impact on "performance". On the other hand, a very light wheelset needlessly exposes you to some risks.

IMO, for hanging out in the mountains, reliability should be the number one priority. After that I would maximize rim width and tires size. The lower pressures that this allows, gives you greater margin for pressure increase if the rims get hot on a steep technical descent. The bigger softer tires will probably have you gaining more time on the descents than the extra weight would cost you on the way up.

Lightest of the better factory wheelsets, Shamals are amazing but only 17mm internal. Easton SL90 are 19.5mm internal and 1485 grams for the set. A lot of builders like that rim.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

I bought a light weight custom made set for my gravel, huge mistake.
Within 1 month both rims were uneven (Ryde Trace 22).
I had the wheels rebuilt with DT Swiss XR 361 instead.
Not sure about pure road bike rims, but it might be worth to take under consideration?
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

HShimada

by HShimada

Another vote for Shamals. My first non-stock wheel on my first bike ever. I loved those things.

tomycs

by tomycs

I've taken 50mm carbon tubulars (25mm wide, 1350g) and Ksyrium Pros (17mm int., 1470g) to the Alps. For the impact on my performance I'm sticking w. Ksyriums, quite common and quite robust.

However if I wanted the best performance uphill, for a place I wouldn't visit often, I'd take the tubulars, you can always find some Ksyriums for rent.

SMITHERS

by SMITHERS

Merry Christmas!

I have a set of Boyd Altamont Lite Ceramic Wheels. I went with the White Industry T11 Hubs (24/28) when they were availabe as an option.

They have been fantastic! I can't recommend them enough. Good luck with your choice...

BikeEatSleepRepeat

by BikeEatSleepRepeat

SMITHERS wrote:
Wed Dec 25, 2019 9:46 pm
Merry Christmas!

I have a set of Boyd Altamont Lite Ceramic Wheels. I went with the White Industry T11 Hubs (24/28) when they were availabe as an option.

They have been fantastic! I can't recommend them enough. Good luck with your choice...
I've always liked the White Industry T11 Hubs, too.

Durable and very serviceable.

Currently running them laced to a set of AForce AL33 rims, no complaints... although, I do sometimes wonder why I didn't try out that set of Fulcrum Zero's I got on a trade many years ago. Tempted to buy a set to see if I'm missing anything compared to the AL33's...

petromyzon

by petromyzon

Extralite if you really want the lightest, otherwise DT180 or Carbon-Ti.

Stans Alpha rims are the lightest option and give a relatively large tyre due to the slightly larger bead seat diameter than most and very short sidewalls. However this comes at a cost of a slight but well-documented on here tendency for tyres to blow off and a massive issue with de-tensioning when tyres are inflated. That said I have had no problems with my (very light set) despite having to re-true them with a tyre in place and several 1000km of riding. I went for light, and I got light, but there is no free lunch.

Personally I feel you will get a better-riding, more balanced structure with a 450g rim. If I had my time again I'd probably build HED belgium+ on Extralite.

There are a lot of weight savings to be made with tyre/tube choice (I'm sure you know this but.....)

JoO

by JoO

Ryde Pulse rims are discontinued but perhaps you can find some NOS. 400 ish grams

fastezzie

by fastezzie

For pre built wheels, is there anything under 1400g besides Rolf Elan?

dim

by dim

get HED Belgium Plus rims .... build them with good lightweight hubs, and if you want fast, fit 25mm Continental GP5000 TL tyres .... these have the same aerodynamics as FLO30 ....

rims weigh 465 grams ... tubeless ready and there is not a better alloy rim on the market IMHO

I have 2 sets of these... one on my Trek Emonda SL6 with Chris King R45 hubs (ceramic bearing upgrade) and a set on my touring bike with a Royce rear hub and a SON28 Hub with Supernova dynamo lights

https://novemberbicycles.com/blogs/blog ... ed-belgium
Trek Emonda SL6
Miyata One Thousand

robertbb

by robertbb

dim wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 4:21 pm

rims weigh 465 grams ... tubeless ready and there is not a better alloy rim on the market IMHO

The Easton R90SL comes from the same factory, and as a bonus the stickers come off cleanly for a really nice set of stealthy wheels.
In terms of internal width, they are basically half way between a HED belgium plus and a standard HED belgium - a good overall compromise.

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

DT Swiss PR 1400 DICUTImage 21 OXIC aren't a bad factory option at all.

1447g
18mm inner width
Swissstop BXP pads

I'm not the lightest bloke and have 6000km on my set with no visible wear and am still on the first set of pads. No grey slime everywhere when it rains like normal alloy wheels too is nice. Tubeless retention could be better but tubed with Veloflex or Turbo Cotton tyres they feel absolutely fantastic and track flawlessly.

Using Tapatalk

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Easton rl90 are a better rim with improved tubeless compatibility over the hed rims

Tubeless compatibility is kot just about seat and sealing the tyre. The tyre has to remain seated without air. Once setup and come sealant refill time or a flat I have not found the hed rims reliably hold onto the tyre or if the they do the retention seem weak so even I serting a plug causes it to unseat. That to me is not tubeless compatible. The issue is with an alloy rim at this price everything should be spot on.

HED and DT swiss lack a bump next to the channel to keep the tyre seated. Kinlin dont use a bump but a rise to the central channel which does the same thing, keeps the tyres seated.

Mavic ust rims have the bump. Pacenti dont but tyres stay seated.

Hed and dt swiss rims rely on the gluing effect of the sealant and tyre bead friction alone but this is not that relaible.

This is not my opinion it is how these rims are. Yet the manufacturers.swear blind that they are tubeless compatible which also.means they dont understand tubeless compatibility. Hed and dt swiss rims do not meet the new retro road tubeless standard that also a fact.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com