Lightest aluminum rim brake wheelset?

Everything about building wheels, glueing tubs, etc.
jbott

by jbott

Can I get some recommendations for a light(est) alloy rim brake wheelset?

Rider weight is 150lbs.
Looking for an internal width of about 19.5mm.
Clincher, tubeless not required.
Shimano.

I'm willing to buy premade or have custom built.

I've always been easy on wheels, so I would consider going with something not as durable. These wheels will be used for mountainous vacations, not training.
I know alloy rims are outdated these days, but I am still nervous with carbon clinchers on long descents.

Thoughts?

JoO

by JoO

kinlin XR22
460 (front) -436 (rear offset rim) gr
bitex raf/rar 65 gr + 192 gr
alloy nipples
sapim Xray or similar
light tubeless tape or veloplugs

by Weenie

alcatraz

by alcatraz

Carbon rims don't just explode without warning. First they warp.

For racing and descending it would be sensible to use carbon tubulars because it's hard to anticipate the amount of braking. For just touring you could do carbon clinchers (modern high temp resin ones) and be safe. Just take it a bit easy descending. It means after braking hard for more than a minute then start to lower your descending speed.

Light alloy wheels are complicated. The lighter the rim, the more spokes you need to compensate for the lack of stiffness. Forget about using the lightest alloy rims and a low spoke count.

naylor343

by naylor343

As someone who lives and trains all year round in the high mountains, in my experience, the lightest alloy wheels are not what you need. These wheels are great for achieving a WW bike of x.xkg for vanity/fun, but not for real world use, possibly useable if you're a 52kg mountain goat. Remember, what goes up, must come down.

If you still wish to stay on alloy then kinlin xr range, pacenti forza or mavic or will provide light-ish options. For the mountains, if you have to, go light on the hubs, cassette, tyres etc, but don't skimp on the rims

fastezzie

by fastezzie

JoO wrote:
Wed Dec 25, 2019 11:39 am
kinlin XR22
460 (front) -436 (rear offset rim) gr
bitex raf/rar 65 gr + 192 gr
alloy nipples
sapim Xray or similar
light tubeless tape or veloplugs
This, or Astral Solstice rims. 405g claimed and look quality. Small weight savings going from Bitex to a boutique WW hub, but high $/gram.
Off the shelf I think Shimano C24s are tough to beat.

jbott

by jbott

fastezzie wrote:
Wed Dec 25, 2019 2:29 pm

Off the shelf I think Shimano C24s are tough to beat.
I want to buy C24s every time I see them. Especially when they are on sale! Big fan of DA wheels. But I can't go back to narrow rims. Really hoping the next gen DA wheels will be wider.

samarskyrider

by samarskyrider

ZTR alpha 340 if you could find one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jbott

by jbott

Seems like the lightest rims I'm seeing are about 450-500g. That's acceptable.

The best hub I'm seeing are Cabon-ti X-hubs. Anyone have any experience with these? I have always dreamed of owning DT Swiss 180s , but damn that price. The Bitex look good too.

Surely straight pull spokes can save me a few grams, right?

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Stans rims are 17mm Internal width.

Mavic open pro ust 24 f 28r on extralite hubs with sapim cx Ray's is 1280 to 1300g

Yes 28 spokes is better. More spokes feels more responsive.

Lighter rims mean thinner brake tracks. So if those astral rims are 405g at that width and depth that will have a 1.1mm thick brake track I.e they start out almost worn out.

Kinlin xr22t/rt rims 24f/28r on carbon ti hubs with sapim.cx ray spokes is close to 1400g. That c24 weight for a stiffer more responsive feeling wheel with a wide tubeless compatible rim. I'm an importer of carbon ti and they are excellent hubs. Building with more and more and they seem excellent.

Every time I see shimano c24 dura ace wheels I think they could have done better.

dolophonic

by dolophonic

Get some Shamals or fulcrum's .. light enough, bomb proof and great hubs.

fastezzie

by fastezzie

bm0p700f wrote:
Wed Dec 25, 2019 3:28 pm
Stans rims are 17mm Internal width.

Mavic open pro ust 24 f 28r on extralite hubs with sapim cx Ray's is 1280 to 1300g

Yes 28 spokes is better. More spokes feels more responsive.

Lighter rims mean thinner brake tracks. So if those astral rims are 405g at that width and depth that will have a 1.1mm thick brake track I.e they start out almost worn out.

Kinlin xr22t/rt rims 24f/28r on carbon ti hubs with sapim.cx ray spokes is close to 1400g. That c24 weight for a stiffer more responsive feeling wheel with a wide tubeless compatible rim. I'm an importer of carbon ti and they are excellent hubs. Building with more and more and they seem excellent.

Every time I see shimano c24 dura ace wheels I think they could have done better.
Those sound like great options. Handbuilt wheels are so much easier to rebuild or replace rims vs proprietary stuff too. I smashed up my Velocity Quill wheel and they relaced it for a song.
Thoughts on Kinlin vs Mavic rims for braking, build quality, etc? I like the offset rim option for Kinlin but wondering if Mavic is better overall..

jasonh

by jasonh

Definitely go for Shamals. Magnificent wheels, especially for climbing and descending. if you like turning and cornering as hard as possible, the stiffness of these wheels really inspire confidence. I’ve owned a pair of Eurus for 10 years. They’re STILL perfect.
Mavic makes the Ksyrium Pro, which uses similarly large aluminum spokes, however in a more conventional pattern.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Mavic ust rims are tubeless only I practice. If your running tubes you wont like how tight the fitting of tyres is.

The kinlin rims offer easier tyre fitting and the braking is fine. Brake track is probably thicker too.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

jasonh wrote:
Wed Dec 25, 2019 4:42 pm
Definitely go for Shamals. Magnificent wheels, especially for climbing and descending. if you like turning and cornering as hard as possible, the stiffness of these wheels really inspire confidence. I’ve owned a pair of Eurus for 10 years. They’re STILL perfect.
Mavic makes the Ksyrium Pro, which uses similarly large aluminum spokes, however in a more conventional pattern.
You know it's easy to build wheels that corner well. Large alloy spokes are not very aero.

by Weenie

Alexbn921

by Alexbn921

Shimano C24!
Super light weight rims = noodle wheel builds.
You need a strong rim for a low spoke durable wheel.