Mavic Open Pro & CXP Carbon rims

Everything about building wheels, glueing tubs, etc.
Eleven21

by Eleven21

Wondered if anyone has tried building a set of these up yet?

I’d like to think they’re of a decent quality given th individual rim price tag.

https://shop.mavic.com/en-int/cxp-pro-c ... &1035=3501

by Weenie

bikerdan

by bikerdan

Not seen them in the flesh or tried them. But these made me tempted
https://www.light-wolf.de/carbon-ti-x-h ... n/#gallery

Sent from my BND-L21 using Tapatalk

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Not tried them yet but I will.

Dan Gerous

by Dan Gerous

Pretty sure they're the exact same rims as on the Ksyrium Pro Carbon SL UST (Open Pro) and Cosmic Pro Carbon SL UST (CXP)... Pretty good rims, super easy to fit tubeless tires on, stiffness is pretty good on my Cosmics but, that doesn't only depend on the rim.

Eleven21

by Eleven21

Dan Gerous wrote:Pretty sure they're the exact same rims as on the Ksyrium Pro Carbon SL UST (Open Pro) and Cosmic Pro Carbon SL UST (CXP)... Pretty good rims, super easy to fit tubeless tires on, stiffness is pretty good on my Cosmics but, that doesn't only depend on the rim.
If that’s the case do you know if the rim on the disc and rim brake models come from the same mould (albeit without the roughened brake track on the rim brake model).

I remember the first Zipp disc wheel sets were built using the same rim as that used on the rim brake model.

Dan Gerous

by Dan Gerous

Eleven21 wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 9:29 am
Dan Gerous wrote:Pretty sure they're the exact same rims as on the Ksyrium Pro Carbon SL UST (Open Pro) and Cosmic Pro Carbon SL UST (CXP)... Pretty good rims, super easy to fit tubeless tires on, stiffness is pretty good on my Cosmics but, that doesn't only depend on the rim.
If that’s the case do you know if the rim on the disc and rim brake models come from the same mould (albeit without the roughened brake track on the rim brake model).

I remember the first Zipp disc wheel sets were built using the same rim as that used on the rim brake model.
They're completely different molds, not just the same rims with different finishing for braking or not but entirely different shapes, profiles and even sizes. CXP are 45mm x 19mm for discs and 40mm x 19mm for rim brakes while Open Pros are 32mm x 21mm for discs, 25mm x 19mm for rim brakes.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

The mavic website is not detailed. The b2b site has no info.

Wingnut

by Wingnut

I'd love to try the Open Pro T tubular rims with some lightweight hubs, 32 hole suits me too.
"It's not the destination...it's the ride!"

jlok

by jlok

For disc brake rear wheel, which one do you prefer?

1. Bora WTO 45, 0x/3x G3

All braking force and driving force handled by DS 3x spokes (that's why one-piece rear hub?). Bracing angles should be better due to the seemingly wider flange offset. Effective flange diameter seems to be large (didn't measure, maybe using the 12mm axle to guesstimate in a photo?) and G3 lacing (exact 90 degree).

2. CXP Pro Carbon UST Disc with I9 Torch Classic Center Lock and Sapim Laser spokes laced 2x/2x

Both NDS/DS share the driving and braking force with different weighing. Bracing angles are decent (at least better than WI CLD and much better than DT). Effective flange diameter is 5x mm sth (smaller than physical flange diameter due to spoke angle not 90 degree) so I guess it's similar to WTO.

So basically 2x/2x vs G3. Which one do you prefer and why?
Litespeed T1sl Disc / BMC TM02 < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

Eleven21

by Eleven21

Wingnut wrote:I'd love to try the Open Pro T tubular rims with some lightweight hubs, 32 hole suits me too.
Me too and IMO would a perfect match on a neo-classic steel build.

Eleven21

by Eleven21

Would I be correct in thinking these are manufactured in the Far East or like Corima, made in France (not that it matters).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

by Weenie

Dan Gerous

by Dan Gerous

They're made in Eastern Europe, I recall hearing Romania but I'm not 100% sure of the exact country. Mavic sayes "100% designed in France and handcrafted in Europe".