carbon ti hubs - long term real world experience

Everything about building wheels, glueing tubs, etc.
jesper2913

by jesper2913

Does anyone have long term real world experience with these hubs?

How do they hold up en bad weather?

Do you have to replace bearings often?

Anyone using them for cx?

Both rimbrake and discbrake version experience is welcome.

by Weenie

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

They seem fine. The bearings are skf 6803 so not the biggest but not too small either. They use non contacting seals so like all hubs with bearings which such seals they will suffer in the wet when its really wet. These hubs get put on nice wheels on nice bikes. You dont ride them in the shit.

I have used there disc brake hubs on an xc bike but that bike got stolen. So I did not have them long enough to know if they lasted. My rim brake set are used infrequently but customers are not complaining about short bearing life.

Cx is nasty to bikes. Dont use expensive hubs for cx you'll destroy them like cx racer do to the rest of there bikes.

robertbb

by robertbb

bm0p700f wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:41 pm
They seem fine.
I seem to recall on another thread you recommended them above some other common options. Bling-aside, what are your thoughts on these vs the venerable DT240? I've always felt the DT240 rear hub's main weakness is pretty easy to overcome by adding 4 extra spokes to whatever your "usual" spoke count would be.

scant

by scant

i've had a front on a mtb for 18months. from may till october averaged 24hrs riding a week. the drive side bearing wore out after a few months (£3 replacement, so no real complaint). before I replaced the bearing I picked out the outer rubber seal, & added additional grease. that was over a year ago, no issues since. functionally its low drag (compared to hope or king) & is easy to work on. I havent tried a rear (I use dt240) but I'd definately get another front again.

alcatraz

by alcatraz

What are your priorities riding cyclocross? Weight or longevity? How much do you weigh?

The bearings would need to be swapped out for sure if they are non/light contact.

Ideally you need 6902/6903 or larger bearings on both sides of the hub shell (not the freehub). If you ride on bumpy terrain with narrow bearings you risk having to replace axles. That's because you are wearing it out where the bearing inner race contacts.

Sounds like you're on the fence about riding cx. If you're serious you probably need a bike just for that. Like 1x gearing, disc brakes, sturdy frame, wide rims and tires.

Going half way on a road bike will end up with neither cx nor road ideal.

If we're talking about some gravel leisure riding then just find something with larger bearings and you should be ok.

I noticed that the ridiculously cheap Powerway R13 hubs (285gr a pair) have 6902 bearings on both sides. Don't know about the build quality but it sounds like it could take some rougher riding. 6902-6903 bearings are 7mm wide, 6802-6803 are 5mm. Quite the difference, 40%.

Beaver

by Beaver

Interestingly the original bearings were non contact (2RZ) and have a low drag: https://www.hambini.com/blog/post/testi ... heel-hubs/

The replacement bearings are now sealed (2RS): http://www.carbon-ti.com/products/hubs/ ... earing-kit

Mine have less than 10k kms, so no long term experience, but so far one pair had to be adjusted after 1k kms, since then no issues, the other one runs without any issues, except the new 56 points of engagement: The freehub had a lot of drag when new, after a while it got better. But it's still a bit too loud for my taste. ;)

And one wheel builder stated the nds spokes may loose tension with heavy riders. But that's no issue with my 77kg system weight.

alcatraz

by alcatraz

Put some thicker grease on those pawls and it'll quiet down. Just not too thick if you plan to ride in cold weather.

jesper2913

by jesper2913

alcatraz wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:19 am
What are your priorities riding cyclocross? Weight or longevity? How much do you weigh?

The bearings would need to be swapped out for sure if they are non/light contact.

Ideally you need 6902/6903 or larger bearings on both sides of the hub shell (not the freehub). If you ride on bumpy terrain with narrow bearings you risk having to replace axles. That's because you are wearing it out where the bearing inner race contacts.

Sounds like you're on the fence about riding cx. If you're serious you probably need a bike just for that. Like 1x gearing, disc brakes, sturdy frame, wide rims and tires.

Going half way on a road bike will end up with neither cx nor road ideal.

If we're talking about some gravel leisure riding then just find something with larger bearings and you should be ok.

I noticed that the ridiculously cheap Powerway R13 hubs (285gr a pair) have 6902 bearings on both sides. Don't know about the build quality but it sounds like it could take some rougher riding. 6902-6903 bearings are 7mm wide, 6802-6803 are 5mm. Quite the difference, 40%.
I´m considering them both for a road wheelset and a cx wheelset. I´m 85 kg and they will get a lot of rain and foul weather.

Both weight and longevity are priorities. As they say: light, durable, inexpensive - pick two. I need light and durable.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Cx wrecks nice kit so dont use expensive nice kit on cx bikes. I'd use shimano grx 10 speed and a set of cheaper hubs like my own. I know these survive cross well as i has them made with cx racers on mind.

Bike weight is not a big obstacle in cx races unless your really competitive.

As for dt 240 hubs well the disc brake hubs have similar geometry to other disc brake hubs so you dont need to add extra spokes. That for the rims brake hubs. They are not that light and expensive. The bearing life is decent but dont overstate it either. Its jo better than my hubs or hope rs4 which cost less money.

The carbon ti hubs are 290g for the centrelock hubs and that tells you what they are for. I build them into light wheels for summer bikes. Vvtheh are too nice for nasty bike killing cx.

alcatraz

by alcatraz

At 85kg I wouldn't dare using carbonti hubs for a cx wheelset if reliability were a concern. Even the disc brake "road" hubs use 6803 bearings on NDS. If you hold it in your hand you'll know it's not heavy duty. Flat roads ok.

Forget rimbrake light cx hubs. I don't think you'll find them. Disc brake you could try extralite mtb hubs and lace 700c rims.

Disc hubs are 135/142mm wide, road rim 130mm. Better decide if its going to be disc or rim brake.

by Weenie

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Sorry carbon ti rear hubs use 1x 6903 and 3x 6803 bearings.

The reason not to use carbon ti hubs for cx is they are nice hubs and cx is a bike killing sport no matter how good the kit is. Use throwaway kit for cx not your finest unless your not paying for it.