Changing rims, do I need to change spokes?

Everything about building wheels, glueing tubs, etc.
CAAD8FRED

by CAAD8FRED

I’m changing rims on a pair of wheels. I will be keeping the hubs the same and the new rims have the same depth, but are slightly lighter and wider. Do I need to change the spokes?

Edit: Does anyone know the rim weight of a front Roval C38 disc wheel, and Roval CL50 disc rear wheel

alcatraz

by alcatraz

Probably no, but the same depth rims can have slightly different ERD.

If I were you I'd try the old spokes first.

Some believe spokes can't be reused but it depends on the quality of previous builds. Are the spokes fatigued or not?

Some rims are specific to the lacing pattern. Left/right angled drillings, offset drillings (asymetric), and triplet specific (r,r,l,r,r,l). G3 lacing also affects spoke lengths (campy style).

If the nipples are alloy they might need to be changed.

by Weenie

Etienne

by Etienne

CAAD8FRED wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 4:31 am
I’m changing rims on a pair of wheels. I will be keeping the hubs the same and the new rims have the same depth, but are slightly lighter and wider. Do I need to change the spokes?
Depends on the condition of the wheels ... if the spokes took hits, are somewhat twisted, etc., then change them. If condition is good, reuse them but use new nipples any way.

wheelbuilder

by wheelbuilder

Replace spokes and nipples on new build. To re-use is amateur.
Never cheer before you know who is winning

NickJHP

by NickJHP

wheelbuilder wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 4:45 am
Replace spokes and nipples on new build. To re-use is amateur.
Nonsense. Unless the wheel has been damaged, if the ERD is the same then replace the nipples but retain the spokes. I've replaced multiple rims with worn-out braking surfaces by taping the old and new rims together, slackening off the spokes, transferring the spokes one at a time to the new rim, then removing the old rim and tensioning and truing the wheel. I have tandem wheels that are on their third or fourth set of rims, are still using the original spokes, and have never broken a spoke.

shotgun

by shotgun

I re-used my spokes on build, most of the spokes survived but maybe 2 or 3 broke. Can't say for sure if it was from fatigue (maybe from change in tesion?) or poor re-installation
2018 Giant TCR Advance SL0 Disc
2017 Festka Scalatore
1989 Battaglin Roche
1985 Alan Carbonio

by Weenie