mavic cosmic lacing

Everything about building wheels, glueing tubs, etc.
FactoryMatt

by FactoryMatt

noticed something odd on these 2019/20 mavic cosmic pro sl disc. with the front two-cross pattern, the 'outer' spoke doesn't cross UNDER the inner spoke. it DOES, however, with the rear lacing. is there a reason for this? did someone in Romania just not pay attention? the front spokes are twisting a bit because they're not making contact the with second crossed spoke.

thoughts??

EDIT - Mavic got back with me same day and confirmed they're all laced this way. I'm guessing it has to do with bracing angle on the front? idk.

Last edited by FactoryMatt on Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

alcatraz

by alcatraz

That's very observant of you. It's a bit odd.

What does the seller tell you?

Wait for a more professional reply but I think some straightpull hub manufacturers have stopped recommending lacing spokes over/under. Maybe a strong enough build benefits very little from it.

by Weenie

FactoryMatt

by FactoryMatt

but the rear is laced over under. the spoke hole offset doesn't seem too severe. just odd theyre inconsistent front to rear wheel

Jugi

by Jugi

Googled close-up product shots of "Mavic cosmic pro sl disc" hubs. All crossing patterns look like the outer spokes aren't crossing under.

FactoryMatt

by FactoryMatt

for both front AND rear?

here, rear crosses, but front doesn't.

FactoryMatt

by FactoryMatt

Mavic got back with me same day and confirmed they're all laced this way. I'm guessing it has to do with bracing angle on the front? idk.

alcatraz

by alcatraz

I'd check out other wheelsets with the same/similar hubs and see how they are laced.

Just to exclude the possibility of mavic just trying to cover their ass.

by Weenie