Thorn-proof tire for winter riding that doesn’t weigh a ton?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

DC41

by DC41

I've decided this is the year for riding through the winter. Only thing I'm worried about is my hands freezing fixing a flat in 20 degrees. I live in goat-head thorn country; can't remember the last time I flatted that's wasn't caused by a thorn.

I've ridden the Schwabe Durano plus, Conti Gatorskin, etc., but the thorns have made it through all of them. I'm tempted to give up on performance for the winter and get some commuter tires like the Schwabe Marathon +s, but I don't know if the 700 x 25 (smallest size they make) will even fit the old Cervelo RS I'll be riding. Regular 25mm tires barely fit.

Is there a tire that offers some thorn protection without weighing a ton? Have any other thorn-persecuted riders found a solution? Thanks for the group-think!

Edit: I probably should have posted this in the wheels sub. Mods please move if appropriate
Last edited by DC41 on Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Self-Proclaimed Resident Master Fattie - Vicious DC Slither

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

AJS914

by AJS914

You need to run tubeless. I must have had hundreds of goat head flats that were all sealed by sealant. My tires are like swiss cheese now but it all holds air.

If you don't have tubeless rims, you could try Slime tubes. They are heavy but they work. I installed them on my kids mountain bike. Now, his bike is goat head proof.

LewisK

by LewisK

Continental GP 4 seasons! They're pretty tough and still roll and feel half decent; for a winter tyre at least!

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

One case where tubeless makes a lot of sense.

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk

Using Tapatalk

Lugan

by Lugan

I ride all winter in the Seattle area. No thorns here, but lots of glass and sharp bits of granite. I use Schwalbe G One Speed 30c (formerly known as S One, but same tire) set up tubeless and have had zero flats in 2+ winters. These tires barely even get cuts. I think part of it is the low pressure I am able to run with such wide tubeless tires on wider 21mm internal width rims (Hed Ardennes Black). I weigh 81kg/180# and run the tires at 55f/65r.

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

hey DC41, I think AJS914 is right on the money here. Personally I'm a fan of the GP5000 TL. that tire singlehandedly rewrote TLR ease of installation, true to size and the benchmark in puncture resistance.
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Out in Suffolk the gp500ptl proved not to be the bench mark in puncture protection. We dont have what ever a goat head thorn is but we have lots of sharp flint.

Toughest tubeless tyre so far is the IRC formula pro x guard. The good year eagle is promising but buzzy. Pirelli have the cintura.

Hutchinson fusion 5 all season is pretty good to (so far anyway).

How people think the conti tyre is an all season tyre is beyond me. My pair lasted 2500km and they were squared of front and rear and puncturing. I'm not that heavy either. The conti tyre is s fast race/tt tyre. That's what it's good at.

DC41

by DC41

bm0p700f wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:42 pm
Out in Suffolk the gp500ptl proved not to be the bench mark in puncture protection. We dont have what ever a goat head thorn is...
These are the little turds Image

The points are arranged so that however they lay one point is always pointing up. Woven protection belt in tires just don't protect against them. They just poke through the weave.
Self-Proclaimed Resident Master Fattie - Vicious DC Slither

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

That's evil. You need downhill mtb tyres really.

alcatraz

by alcatraz

Does sealant work at -20C?

AJS914

by AJS914

bm0p700f wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:04 am
That's evil. You need downhill mtb tyres really.
I've had at least a hundred of those in each of my gravel bike tires. They are just unavoidable on certain trails around here. Stan's sealant works well. Fortunately, those things don't find their way to the road too often.

Lewn777

by Lewn777

If you don't want to try tubeless I would highly recommend Panaracer Race A Evo 3, or Panaracer Race D Evo 3. The race A's are a tad slower and tougher than Conti GP4000s2, whereas IMHO the Race D's are a tougher and slightly faster tire than both Continental Four seasons and Gators.

Multebear

by Multebear

Never tried inner tube protector liners against thorns. They work well against sharp stones, glass etc.

But how about these or something similar: Thorn Buster Inner Tube Protector Bicycle Tire Liner - stop flats GOATHEADS, THORNS, GLASS

https://www.amazon.com/Thorn-Buster-Inn ... B00ZQV70HY

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dim

by dim

bm0p700f wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:42 pm
Out in Suffolk the gp500ptl proved not to be the bench mark in puncture protection. We dont have what ever a goat head thorn is but we have lots of sharp flint.

Toughest tubeless tyre so far is the IRC formula pro x guard. The good year eagle is promising but buzzy. Pirelli have the cintura.

Hutchinson fusion 5 all season is pretty good to (so far anyway).

How people think the conti tyre is an all season tyre is beyond me. My pair lasted 2500km and they were squared of front and rear and puncturing. I'm not that heavy either. The conti tyre is s fast race/tt tyre. That's what it's good at.
I've used Conti GP 5000 clinchers in 32mm wide on my touring bike .... came close to 5000km before the first puncture on the rear .... I then binned them as they have served their purpose

I used them on my daily commute (40km), through cambridge city on potholes, broken glass etc etc and in pouring rain .... amazing tyres

I like them so much that I will be using the 32mm tubeless version on my new wheels (HED Belgium Plus rims with a royce rear hub and Son 28 dynamo front hub) ... I am confident that these will serve me well through the winter

I have the tubeless version on my Trek Emonda SL6 with just over 1600Km ... zero punctures and they still look brand new
Trek Emonda SL6
Miyata One Thousand