Fulcrum Racing Zero Carbon or Enve 3.4?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Racingt

by Racingt

Guys, I’m looking for a disc braked light climbing wheel for a Pyrenean traverse, by road, next year.
Riding a Mason Definition, Ultegra Di2, 30mill tyres, currently using Hunt 4 season alloy wheels.
I need all the help I can get on climbs, so looking to a good carbon wheelset.
Narrowed the choice to Enves on CK hubs (+ possible divorce due to the cost), or the Fulcrums, which I can buy for half the price.
I’ve owned Enve 3.4 in Gen 1 format before, sold them (after 6 years for 50% of the new price) when I moved to disc brakes. And new Enves have a great warranty.
Am I missing a wonderful wheel from another manufacturer? Which would you choose?
Cheers

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

RossLB

by RossLB

I've owned both. I sold the Enves because they were poorly made - sharp edges, lumps and rough patches on the bead hooks - and were flexy (with DT Swiss hubs).

The Fulcrum Zero Carbon DB are very good wheels. But they are not particularly light, and are very stiff, slightly harsh riding wheels.

I think the Bora 35s are better wheels than either - lighter, better made, and stiff without being uncomfortable. The new Fulcrum Speed 40C disc are also great wheels - marginally heavier than Boras but quite a bit lighter than the Zeros, and are also nice riding wheels. I would take either the Boras or Speed 40C over the Enves or Zeros, even if I had to pay more for them.

sychen

by sychen

RossLB wrote:I've owned both. I sold the Enves because they were poorly made - sharp edges, lumps and rough patches on the bead hooks - and were flexy (with DT Swiss hubs).

The Fulcrum Zero Carbon DB are very good wheels. But they are not particularly light, and are very stiff, slightly harsh riding wheels.

I think the Bora 35s are better wheels than either - lighter, better made, and stiff without being uncomfortable. The new Fulcrum Speed 40C disc are also great wheels - marginally heavier than Boras but quite a bit lighter than the Zeros, and are also nice riding wheels. I would take either the Boras or Speed 40C over the Enves or Zeros, even if I had to pay more for them.
Isn't the Fulcrum Speed 40 C db weigh in the range of 1600g+? That's around 200g more than Bora 35 db.

Since this is a climbing set of wheels... Weight does matter.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

RossLB

by RossLB

According to the Fulcrum website the Speed 40C DB wheels are 1470g. I haven't weighed them myself. But the Bora 35s would still be my choice for climbing wheels.

sychen

by sychen

RossLB wrote:According to the Fulcrum website the Speed 40C DB wheels are 1470g. I haven't weighed them myself. But the Bora 35s would still be my choice for climbing wheels.
Sorry my bad.. Looked up a retailer site with old/bad info.. Back in my hole.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

ND4SPD

by ND4SPD

Campagnolo = Fulcrum.

Racingt

by Racingt

The weights as far as I can see are:
Speed 40 1470g, internal width 19mill
Speed zero 1450g, internal width 19mill
Enve 3.4 CK 1447g, 8nternal width 21mill
Bora one 1483g, internal width 17mill.
So absolutely nothing splits them on weight, in terms that I would notice.

My chosen U.K. wheel builder, a pedantic guy, loves Enve quality, so I really doubt he would send me a poor quality set - I don’t think he has seen one, so I’m reassured on that score. Ride quality depends on the build - I loved my previous 3.4s, only sold them due to going disc brake.

I’m riding 30mm tyres, maybe even go to 32mm GP5000TLs, so the internal width matters to me. For this reason, I’m hesitant on the Boras at 17mill internal. That is my current internal width, it’s fine, but why not improve if I can?
I’ve discovered the warranty on Fulcrum is only 2 years, which compares badly with Enve, even with Roval, I’m 63 in February, I want a pair to last at least till I’m 70, and past Enve experience would give me confidence on this.

Definitely leaning towards Enves this morning... thanks for your input, still time for more comments before I press the pay button....

Stueys

by Stueys

Out of that list I'd probably go Enve 3.4 but would run with Carbon Ti hubs (love CK but the weight saving is nice). Enve build quality has been hit and miss, but is always the carbon finish and can quickly be spotted with a quick wheel inspection. Bounce anything you aren't happy with, saddleback are relatively quick to swap.

Racingt

by Racingt

Thanks Stueys, I’ll look into those Carbon Ti hubs. Good advice re quality check too. Defo thinking of the Enves and mentally totting up my eBay list to reduce the cost a little...

Racingt

by Racingt

Actually, the warranty period is important to me as well. This week I claimed for a (non cycling) item after 9 1/2 years of a 10 year warranty. Disappointed Fulcrum don’t stand behind their product with a longer warranty.

jmfreeman535

by jmfreeman535

I think you should check out the Roval CLX32's...21mm internal, 1350g, and a lifetime warranty. I don't have personal experince with them, but I do have the CLX50's and they are phenomenal.

Racingt

by Racingt

Thanks for the heads up on the Roval CLX32. They look great and my LBS stocks them. I guess the marketplace is so crowded, I just overlooked them, or was to lazy to decode the acronyms that describe the function of each particular wheel.
Looking around £800 per pair less than comparable Enve DT240 wheel. Specs very similar.
Just off to check if I can see wind tunnel data...

Racingt

by Racingt

Just checked the Hunt whitepaper for Limitless and realised I’ve missed completely the DT Swiss ERC1100. Anyone have a view on these? They look fantastic...

jmfreeman535

by jmfreeman535

For a climbing wheel, the ERC1100 is definitely on the heavy side. Other than that, they do look like a nice wheel...I very nearly bought a set, but then I looked more into the CLX's and decided to go with them.

Then, as far as the Enve vs. Roval comparison: the CLX is cheaper, lighter, and don't seem to have any issues with QC (mine are beautifully made)...while reaserching, I found a fair amount of negative remarks about the quality of Enve's- along with that whole tire-compatibility issue- that just put me off.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Racingt

by Racingt

Yes I need to see the CLXs and the DTs. Agree the DTS might be a little heavy.

I’m aware that 3.4 ARs have a recommended tyre list, and many tyres don’t appear on it.
But I thought the 3.4 having a hooked rim would be ok with anything - am I mistaken? I don’t like the thought of being restricted on tyre choice.