Fulcrum Racing Zero Carbon or Enve 3.4?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

jmfreeman535

by jmfreeman535

Racingt wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:05 pm
Yes I need to see the CLXs and the DTs. Agree the DTS might be a little heavy.

I’m aware that 3.4 ARs have a recommended tyre list, and many tyres don’t appear on it.
But I thought the 3.4 having a hooked rim would be ok with anything - am I mistaken? I don’t like the thought of being restricted on tyre choice.
It is a hooked rim...but it's different than a "normal" hook.

The tires that I use (GP4000/5000) are not on their "do not use" list, but the fact that they have to even have a "do not use" list is very off putting. The way I see it, it's basically them addmitting that there is a design and/or quality control flaw on their end that leads to the riml cutting sidewalls. Now, there seem to be a lot of people that are not experiencing this issue, but at their price point, this shouldn't even be an issue that exists...and a risk I wasn't willing to take.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Racingt

by Racingt

Thanks for pointing that out - I agree.
DTS Swiss are looking good, maybe a little heavy, but sensible pricing. Will check warranty.

LewisK

by LewisK

I have a set of racing zeros carbon’s, they were purchased new earlier this year. They have been fantastic and highly recommend, at the time I was looking at a set of Enve’s but couldn’t justify the additional cost. A set of 3.4’s we’re going to cost more than double! They ‘might’ be a fraction more aero but for me, it wasn’t worth the extra ££££

Racingt

by Racingt

Yes, I thought the extra cost related to Enves correlated to higher quality, but after seeing comments on this forum regarding quality, I’m thinking the extra cost is simply Mavic getting a return on their investment in buying Enve, plus the cost of servicing their guarantee. Certainly the Enves will cost s much as the Fairlight Secan gravel bike I have on order.

Racingt

by Racingt

Been looking at the wrong DT Swiss option, need the PRC 1400 Spline 35s for a comparable climbing wheel. Wow, there is such a range, this is almost a full time job.

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

CLX32 hands down.
Light, durable, easily serviced and great waranty.

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk

Using Tapatalk

jmfreeman535

by jmfreeman535

Racingt wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:12 am
Been looking at the wrong DT Swiss option, need the PRC 1400 Spline 35s for a comparable climbing wheel. Wow, there is such a range, this is almost a full time job.
Yah, the DT Swiss line is pretty confusing.

Keep in mind, the PRC is only 18mm wide, internally, so not ideal if you want to run 30mm+ tires

Racingt

by Racingt

I spoke to my LBS who have ERC 1400s on sale at a ‘great’ price, which is 40% of the Enve ticket price
I realise they are definitely not the lightest at 1530g, but then I (roughly) weighed the wheels that I have been climbing on, and at 1750g, I’m still going to see a huge improvement.
The Cost/Benefit equation is not the same when you are retired, because any money you save on wheel purchase can be used for funding cycle trips. It’s taking time for this to sink into my psyche.
Provided the wheels are as described, picking them up tomorrow, just as soon as the shop opens. Already reserved!

Racingt

by Racingt

Bought the DT Swiss ERC 1400s for a bargain £1199. I was very pleased until I saw Black Inc 30s for the same price at the same shop!
Nonetheless I think’ I’ll be very happy, and whilst not a true climbing wheel, they will be a lot better climbing wheel than I’ve been used to, and will be great fun on the flatlands of East Anglia when I’m not climbing.
19mill internal rim will permit a wider tyre than the Black Incs 17mill internal, so probably the better wheel for me.
Thanks for all the advice, I really appreciate the support I’ve had on this thread, and I’ve made a better choice as a consequence.
regards

LewisK

by LewisK

Enjoy the new wheels and keep us posted once you put some miles on them!