Bora Ultra 50 vs. anything faster?

Everything about building wheels, glueing tubs, etc.
Roadrocket

by Roadrocket

Alexandrumarian wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 3:34 pm
Roadrocket wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:01 am

Hambini didn´t test the 35s. 15mm in height could do pretty much in difference, you cannot compare that.
Tbh I did imagine the 35 would look similarly good (or bad) as the 50s if tested. In any case I do not blame the difference in the wheel profile but on the tubulars. And i don't use slow tape, but as little as possible mastik. I guess Campa were onto something when they didn't bother with a tubular version for the WTO. Anyway, I am definitly not hating on tubs here. They still feel the best, are arguably safest and lowest weight for hills.
Deeper wheel will be allways faster. I´ve ridden 35s as well, and I´ve found the 50s to be equally good even in the hills, probably because of higher stiffness. Weight is about the same so the 35s doesn´t really make a sense for me.
About tubulars, I ride Vittoria Corsas graphene(glued with Mastik) and I think they are pretty fast even compared to some clinchers(4000 SII). If Campag have made the WTO tubular I´d probably ride them already. But I still like the tubulars more than clinchers, so WTO´s not for me.

Roadrocket

by Roadrocket

by Weenie

Roadrocket

by Roadrocket

C36 wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:36 pm
You have the “faster” / “significantly faster” debate and “faster” / “feel faster” debate.
In terms of feel, on blind-tests, heavier wheels are usually felt as faster by people, then very light wheels for their height like the Boras will somehow feel slower... but at the same time snappier (helped by really good stiffness). It’s always surprising how inertia feeling is totally decorrelated from real measurement on the ground.
Maybe the inertia plays a significant role in case of feeling on the flats. Bora´s are very light for it´s profile(mine about 1220g) so any other 50mm profile wheels weighing 1450g may feel faster because of inertia forces...and maybe they really are.

I ride 23mm on the front to follow the 105% rule, but is it neccessary on the rear wheel as well? I´m allways using 25mm on the rear to improve comfort a bit.

LionelB

by LionelB

This thread reminds me that I probably should stock up on Bora 50 tubular before the latest fashion takes them out of the campy catalog. Best wheels ever,

Pierre86

by Pierre86

Roadrocket wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:58 am
kgt wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:53 pm
narrower rims with narrow tires have less drag
This really surprised me. So any ,,old school´´ rim, say 21-22mm wide with 20mm tyre on has less drag than 26-27mm wide rim with 25mm tyre? Then the hype about super wide rims is just marketing...
Wide rims are about crosswind stability first with pure speed a close second. The benefits of the wider rim also tend to be the ability to run wider tyres, but those are secondary
S6 Evo
S5 Aero

Alexandrumarian

by Alexandrumarian

Roadrocket wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:27 am
. I´ve ridden 35s as well, and I´ve found the 50s to be equally good even in the hills, probably because of higher stiffness. Weight is about the same so the 35s doesn´t really make a sense for me.
50s had two downsides for me: when descending i am spooked by any wind influence and the deep profile was not the best visual match for my frame.

On tires, corsa 1.0 measured better on brr tests and i found the same, 2.0 are kinda sluggish. So i guess it is easy for them to get a solid beating from 5000 with latex. 4000 vs 1.0 should be much closer. Did you have butyl or latex?

Roadrocket

by Roadrocket

I ride these https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/vit ... prod144351 and I am pretty sure they have latex inners.

kb1iub

by kb1iub

I have a mix of chipseal roads and rough pavement mixes. The local race on Tuesdays takes place in a former army depot. They used to hold the nuclear depth charge, there. I am not kidding.

No one has paved the loop in 50 years. It is so rough in the back stretch.

I've taken the gp4000 through it on many occasions. Right now I think that the stiff enve with a 25mm Victoria graphene tire is comfy on the back. It took the sting of the gp4000 away.

I thought that the pressures on the tire were causing the clincher wall to come into contact with the pavement. I'm flying over the same stretch in the tubular. What are the thoughts on this ?

Am I imagining this ? Is the comfort increase only due to the wheel ? The wheels are stiffer in the 2nd setup. The gp4000 is on cheap aluminum dt Swiss.

Bill

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

bruno2000

by bruno2000

Would Bora WTO 45 be faster?

ultyguy

by ultyguy

Yup, I’ve got Bora One 50 tubular and have found them to be a very fast all around wheel and I ride 25mm tubs. With the AC3 braking surface, they are probably the best bang for buck wheel out there imho as they’re also very light <1300g.

The test is probably done at low yaw as well hence you lack separation between rim depths/designs etc. the wide wheels really shine at 10 deg+ yaw as the air still sticks to them and gives the a little sail effect.

FWIW I also have ZIPP 404 firecrest tubs that I also 25mm tubs on. On flat to rolling terrain they do feel faster more through the fact that they’re a bit heavier and hold speed better.

Horses for courses I guess but the Bora 50 is hard to beat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk