Nylon jaw pliers to hold spokes?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

LouisN

by LouisN

Hey Calnago you had me searching for these key words. I found the easy cheap method. I'm positive it works well. Will definitely try it.
https://www.wheelfanatyk.com/blog/wheel ... e-wind-up/

Louis :)

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

@LouisN, that’s the exact tool I have, blue handled with a piece of tape on it saying “Twist Resist”. I for some reason thought it was made by Hozan but couldn’t see any manufacturers name on mine. Anyway, it helps but generally with a little practice you can “feel” the windup and back off accordingly. Still, whether you use one of these tools or not it is no substitute for stress relieving the wheel all round which will, if done right, remove all the windup in the spokes.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

1llum4

by 1llum4

The Specialized/Roval spoke holder tool works great. It is probably overbuilt for the task but it will hold any spoke shape to prevent windup. It is also very heavy compared to a more simple twist resist plier.

jever98

by jever98

Calnago wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 1:56 pm
jever98 wrote:@Calnago - I saw there is a book. Just wondered what "the method" entails that you srm took have gleaned from the video. Or was it just name dropping related to Schraner having been involved with Dt Swiss?
I’m not sure I understand your question but the “Schraner” method is simply how he describes and illustrates in his book a way of lacing up a wheel which is pretty easy to teach and understand if I remember correctly. You still end up with (in this case), a 3 cross wheel, indistinguishable from any 3x wheel you may have built up using whatever method you use to lace it. I simply mentioned it because they mentioned it in the video. I mean... if a guy from GCN can do it.... Image.
Ah, now I understand. I hadn't listened to what he said and Musson describes things very similarly.
----
No longer in the industry